Anyone tried a *second* ablation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tried a *second* ablation? Anyone tried a *second* ablation?

Unread 09-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Anyone tried a *second* ablation?

I'm wondering if anyone on the board has had a second endometrial ablation as a last attempt to avoid a hyst. My GYN, a medically conservative guy (and I like that), said he hadn't heard of second ablations being performed, and then explained his reasons for wanting to avoid doing a second after I'd already had one rollerball ablation: No way to determine how deeply the first had burned into the uterine wall, one unsuccessful EA "marked" me as an unsuitable candidate for relief with a second, possibility of damaging the uterus via previous EA and my "mild diffuse adeno," and I'm not a candidate for a balloon-type ablation (Thermacare, Novasure) due to some sort of possible uterine structure anomaly.

Although I appreciate his caution and I understand the potential for big risks with another rollerball EA, I'm also not a candidate for hormonal treatment (estrogen is a no and I get too many bad side effects from progesterone for the minimal good effects). "Watchful waiting" makes me nervous -- I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop!

(For the record, I'm scheduled for a laparoscopy to look at my "can't be visualized on ultrasound/MRI" right ovary, and GYN will perform a hysteroscope and D&C at the same time. I'd like to get the EA done then, but of course I have to trust GYN's judgement on that decision.)

--Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Hi Anne

I'm sorry you are having trouble and facing this decision. My rollerball EA failed due to adenomyosis. The hystereroscopic myomectomy I had with my EA revealed some of my fibroids were nodules of adenomyosis.

The EA had helped my bleeding tremendously - no more awful flooding or anemia - but the cramping I had was severe. GYN and 2nd opinion both agreed hyst was my only option. I had multiple GYN problems that I was used to dealing with, but sudden worsening of killer cramps was more than I could take. If a 2nd ablation would've helped I would have agreed to that in a flash -since my EA was way easier than any period.

If the problem you are having is pain, presumably from your adenomyosis, then I don't see another ablation helping that. If bleeding is what's bothering you, then maybe it would be an option, or maybe the D&C you're having will help. Have they said whether you could try Mirena maybe? I'd be afraid to try another ablation if the doc advised against it for safety reasons.

Quote:
"Watchful waiting" makes me nervous -- I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop!
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are referring to here (sorry) --Are your symptoms tolerable now, but you're afraid if you wait they'll get worse??

Whether you have the laparoscopy and D&C or something else, I hope you find answers and feel better soon.

Please keep us posted.

Beth
Unread 09-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Dear sistabeth --
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post! Yes, my symptoms are tolerable right now, actually quite good over the past few months, but I really don't like living in what feels like a state of limbo, pessimistically predicting that "I feel great this month, but what about next month?" Granted, that's what life is, chaotic and unpredictable and wacky, but the seven year grind of uncertainty, testing, and finding only one useful treatment has taken a toll on my emotional health.

I'm ruling out the Mirena IUD, at least at this stage, because I have had some very bad reactions to oral progestin with no benefits. Granted, the Mirena device is supposed to help isolate the progestins' effect to the uterus, mostly, rather than facing the more systemic effects of a pill, but I fear having to endure the same bad side effects with the IUD *and* not being able to get off of the progestins without an in-office procedure to remove the IUD.

I guess that all I can do for right now is to have faith in my new GYN, keep my mind occupied until my laparoscopy/hysteroscopy date rolls around (a week before Thanksgiving), and hope that the scopes will help us find out more about what's been going on. Knowledge is good!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register