Is wetness a new part of life post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is wetness a new part of life post-op? Is wetness a new part of life post-op?

Unread 12-08-2006, 06:15 AM
Is wetness a new part of life post-op?

I am 14 mths. post-op and have been suffering from trickling and wetness. I did have a granuloma which was cauterized and it did improve the situation but I still feel trickling and wetness.

I have had a cystoscopy and CT scan and apparently there is no leak in the bladder.

I would like to know if this wetness could be related to poor muscle control or if it is possible that it is an unfortunate side effect of the surgery? I have had 2 spinal surgeries (the last one was major involving spinal fusion with graft and insertion of plates and screws) and then the TAH/BSO, all in less than 2 years. I certainly did not have a bladder problem prior to these surgeries.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you gals may have.
Thanks,
Pinkypal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2006, 08:38 AM

Do you know for sure if the wetness is urine?

I am sorry, I really can't say what you're going through. I can say for myself that prior to my surgery, I had alot of discharge (sorry tmi) and had to wear a pantiliner EVERY day. Since having my hysterectomy, I have absolutely nothing. I am hoping that's what is normal.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, could it be a discharge that you're having? And have you talked to your gyn or whomever did your surgery. I would talk to a dr of some sort. I hated having any kind of wetness, and you surely don't want to have to live with that.

good luck
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:24 AM

I so wish I could remember where I read the article about what one women went through after her hysterectomy and what it was called... (I keep thinking it was on this site but can't guarantee it was)
Anyway, she had what she thought was urine leaking. She had every single test going and they could find nothing.
Finally after such a long time, they found it to be an infection that was draining. Once she was treated with the proper antibiotics it cleared up and she has had no problems since. (the infection was in a weird place like behindn her labia or in a pocket somewhere - I am sorry I wish I could remember better)....
Try to do a search on this site using different words like leakage, dribbling, etc.. .and see if you can find it.
Sorry I was not more help. Sure hope you come up with some answers soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
post-op wetness

Thnaks so much for your responses. I have had every test possible and they have ruled out infection. I have been on a number of different antibiotic treatments. Two of them were oral and one was by vaginal suppository.

I'm wondering if it is possible that they are not picking up a urine leak because I do have dry spells before the trickling and maybe it is harder to detect if I am not actually leaking at the time of the exam.

Every single woman I talked to prior to the surgery all said that they were so pleased with their daisy like freshness afterward. I realize that this problem is not life threatening and I feel bad for getting so upset over it, but I dread the thought of having to wear panty liners for the remainder of my life.

I should also mention that in this same 2 year period of time I have had 5 breast surgeries. I guess I really just don't feel very lady like and this wetness only adds to how I feel.

No doctor yet has been able to solve the problem. I would really like to know if there is a possibility that this is a side effect of either the surgery or the menopause itself.

Thanks so much ladies for taking the time to respond. I have also been recently diagnosed with lymphacytic colitis (symptoms started as soon as I was discharged from hospital after the hysterectomy). None of these issues are great conversation pieces and it has been quite isolating.

Take care,
Pinkypal.
Unread 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM

well what ever it is that is causing you grief, I really hope they find an answer and can help you.
you're right in saying that health issues are not great conversation peices and it becomes quite isolating...
Most people only want to hear happy go lucky stuff... feel good stuff,,, warm and fuzzies
I hope you post often and have some sort of network or are at least building a network where you can vent and release and feel heard
I will say a prayer for you and your health that 2007 will bring nothing but answers and you will be able to live fully again
hugs
Unread 12-08-2006, 10:01 AM

Poor Pinky!!! I don't have answers for you, I wish I did!! I do have a big fat !! Did your urologist do the test where they insert a cath and fill your bladder gradually and see how long you can hold it. I'm having such brain fog today, I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it. They did it to me to see if my bladder sling was too tight before my hyster. Somehow through this test they found out it was. I'm not sure how it works, but it sounds like it might help you since it is not a constant wetting, just a dribble.
You are loved
Unread 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM

I have a friend who started having trickling after she delivered twins via c-section. She at first thought it was just postpartum discharge, then she asked if it could be amniotic fluid (which it couldn't because the amniotic sac isn't there after the babies aren't). Anyway, it turns out she had a fistula from her bladder to her uterus. She isn't sure if it is from the surgery or what; she is having surgery Monday to see what the deal is and hopefully repair it. So, she has been leaking urine. She's been wearing pads for four months. Anyway, maybe that is what you have--a fistula. What you are experiencing DOES NOT sound normal, so definitely talk to your doctor or see another doctor and get the answers you need. Good luck!
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Just when I was starting to feel good (about 6 weeks post op) and back to work, I was shocked to see wet pants when I went to the bathroom!
I called my doctor thinking I might have a UTI and he said it is most likely hormonal and that it should clear up after I am on the climara for a while.
He was right. THe urine test showed no bladder infection. THe trickling stopped after I was on climara a couple weeks and now I am doing kegel excercises to strenghten the muscles down there.
YOu can see your progress by how easy or hard it is to stop the urine stream when going potty. Early on, I could not stop peeing once I started. But now, I can stop and start when I want.
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINKYPAL
I am 14 mths. post-op and have been suffering from trickling and wetness. I did have a granuloma which was cauterized and it did improve the situation but I still feel trickling and wetness.

I have had a cystoscopy and CT scan and apparently there is no leak in the bladder.

I would like to know if this wetness could be related to poor muscle control or if it is possible that it is an unfortunate side effect of the surgery? I have had 2 spinal surgeries (the last one was major involving spinal fusion with graft and insertion of plates and screws) and then the TAH/BSO, all in less than 2 years. I certainly did not have a bladder problem prior to these surgeries.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you gals may have.
Thanks,
Pinkypal.

If we through enough ideas out here something might stick! My pelvic floor pretty much gave out as a result of the hyst and I ended up with a cystocele and rectocele. My insides were kind of battling to see which could get out first. I leaked when I coughed or sneezed. I have been going to pevic floor PT for a month and in that time my resting strength has gone from .1 to 5 and my muscle strength and endurance has more than doubled. She says I now have the resting strengh of a 20 yr old. (I am 52) The next month we are working on endurance. My bladder is back where it belongs and the rectocele is almost back in place.

I truly hope you find out what is up as it should not be like this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register