Scheduled dVH/RALH 4 days and so scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days and so scared! 4 days and so scared!

Unread 01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
4 days and so scared!

Anxiety is kicking in big time. So many things that are worrying me: Waking up in agonizing pain, these horrible bm's I am reading about, and vaginal cuff bleeding. Is this caused from lifting too much or walking too much? I just need some positive feedback that will give me some courage to walk thru those hospital doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Re: 4 days and so scared!

I didn't wake up in agonizing pain. I didn't feel anything except nausea. They gave me something right away for that. I kept my pain managed with advil and vicodin every three hours so I would be "on top of the pain". I had discomfort from the gas in shoulder and swelly belly. I used a heating pad and massaged it. There are things that arise, but they all have a solution.

I only bled tiny teeny amount and then after going back to work I had a large bloodclot pass and some small bleeding. I did lift my grandbaby the day before. I really have been not lifting, vacuuming, and pushing shopping carts. I also walked a little every day to increase my energy.

It is great reading and educating yourself, but remember we all have different stories. I would do it all again too because my body feels so much better.
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:06 AM

My dvh went well. Make sure to manage pain the first few days. In hospital they gave me pain medication and I went home with a couple prescriptions which I used consistently the first 24 hours home then as needed after that (mainly at night). Started taking stool softener in hospital and continued until my first bowel movement which was on day 3 post op. I drank my water and ate alot of fruit and veggies to help get things going and it worked! My first week was the hardest but not bad. I got a "swelly" belly and an abdominal rash from solutions used in surgery. To deal with the rash I took benadryl and used hydrocortisone cream. It was starting to get better within a few days. I would also recommend using the abdominal binder they give you in the hospital. This really does provide support the first couple of weeks. I did have some abdominal sharp stabbing gas pains but that subsided. I would recommend using Gas X but I did not. I did feel tired the first couple of weeks but by week 3 I am getting out and doing more. Each week you do a step better. After 4 weeks I plan to go back to work. Good luck and don't be scared. The davinci method has a much better recovery period over a hysterectomy where they have to cut your abdomen open. You have less blood loss and only 4 small incisions on your abdomen. My incisions were literally glued closed on the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM

I had my DaVici surgery Nov 1st. I woke up sore but the hospital was on top of it. Took Percoset and perscription Motrin 24 hours a day for two days. Started Senokot when I got home. I had zero bleeding and a little brown discharge but never heavy. I am a married mom of two teens and I laid it out that I needed help. I let them take care of me and the house and they did ok. The more rest you get the better you do. Don't be afraid to call you dr after surgery if you need to. Good luck!!
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:20 PM

Thank you so much ladies! I just find myself needing constant reassurance that its not as awful as I am imagining it. Thank you😊

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register