daVinci/driving/bending how soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

daVinci/driving/bending how soon? daVinci/driving/bending how soon?

Unread 08-26-2010, 08:48 AM
daVinci/driving/bending how soon?

Hi Princesses,

I'm scheduled for a daVinci total Hyst on Oct 5 (fibroids/heavy bleeding/anemia)and was wondering how soon I'll be able to drive. I'm taking 2 weeks off work but planning to go back the 3rd week (too optimistic?). Also, I have 2 cats and need to know how soon I can bend or squat/crouch to clean their litter boxes and feed them (I live alone).

Thanks!

Peacelily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Re: daVinci/driving/bending how soon?

Good luck--I'm 30 days out from my da Vinci surgery. It has been an amazing journey and I have had a pretty easy recovery. I'm still getting terribly tired. I drove after about two weeks. Was on pain meds for nine days--virtually no pain at all. Your incisions will be itchy and if you're like I am, you won't be able to sit up for a full day at your desk for about 15 days. You need to allow your insides to heal even if it seems as if you're healed up on the outside.

Please be exceedingly careful about your pain meds. I couldn't track what I had taken when. Write down your schedule and record when you took you meds.

In terms of your cats, my doctor told me to avoid unloading the washer, dryer, or dishwasher. It still bothers me a little to bend over to get the lower rack of dishes. Good luck on your surgery.
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:56 PM

As far as feeding your cats... I thought about getting a grabber, but it didn't seem quite right for putting the bowls down. What I actually did is went out and got an extended handle dust pan...now I just nudge the bowl off and on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM

PeaceLily -

I was off for 6 weeks and needed every bit of it. I was driving at 3 weeks.

If you are having a supracervical hysterectomy it is possible but unfortunately some Dr.s underestimate the recovery time since everyone is different.

G.
Unread 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM

i had the davinci surgery. and i had to wait 3 weeks to drive. i was very careful not to bend at all during my 6 week recovery at home. and even after that my doctor told me to still be careful with bending and lifting. try bending at the knees only if you need to get to the floor level. keeping your back straight and only bending your knees. thats what i did if i needed to get to the floor. perhaps you have a neighbor or friend or kid in the area who could scoop your cat boxes a couple of times a week for a week or two? maybe a little cash would sweeten the deal. and i only took the pain meds for a day or two. pain was minimal. its all internal. just be easy with yourself. ask and follow your doctors guidelines and restrictions for healing and youll do just fine. good luck.
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM

Thanks Princesses! Thanks, TazLover, never thought about an extended dust pan, will try it! This website has been a wealth of information and you gals are AWESOME!!!!!
Thanks!
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Happy to help. I know how demanding kitties can be when they are hungry!
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:06 PM

I had a total hysterectomy with daVinci 3 weeks ago today. I was cleared to drive @ 9 days and am going back to work on Monday. I have 2 dogs and had help with feeding & watering them for the first 2 weeks but then I was fine to get their dishes. Good luck! DaVinci was a great way to go!
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:10 PM

Like KMD I had my DaVinci on 8/6, but mine was a supracervical (so I still have my ovaries & cervix.) My doc cleared me to drive as soon as I was completely off the narcotics, which for me was 8 days post-op. I was also cleared to resume regular activity after two weeks, but to listen to my body - if there was pain, I was not to be doing what I was doing.

I was bending and doing some house stuff by the end of week 2 - loading and unloading the dishwasher (one dish at a time,) feeding the beasts (I have two Border Collies,) even putting laundry in the washer and dryer (front loading) but having my son or husband carry it up the stairs. I still have not pushed a vacuum or cleaned anything around here. That's a bit too much work for me.

I went back to the gym yesterday to walk on the treadmill.

Please follow your doctor's orders, however. One thing I've learned from being on this site is that every doctor has his/her own recommendations. You want to follow what your doctor believes is the best recovery plan for you.

Good luck with your surgery & recovery!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register