Upcoming hysterectomy 10/4: What did you wear home from the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/4: What did you wear home from the hospital? Upcoming hysterectomy 10/4: What did you wear home from the hospital?

Unread 09-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/4: What did you wear home from the hospital?

I've been told that I will need to spend at least one night in the hospital.
I won't have an incision, since everything is being done laparoscopic, but I know that I will still be sore, and want to make sure my clothing is comfy.

I do have a few elastic waist pants/capris that I could wear, but I don't like to wear them outside the house. (I know I'm just going from the hospital to home....but I'm so weird like that!) I also have a pair of loose fitting jeans. (The rest of my jeans are more tight/form fitting and I know not a good choice!) Do you think I could wear those with a T-shirt and then change into PJ bottoms once I get home?

What did you pack to wear home? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM
Re: What did you wear home from the hospital?

Don't do the jeans. Even if they're loose fitting, the waist doesn't expand like a pair of lounge pants would, and you have no idea what kind of swelling you'll encounter. You might not be able to zip them up, and if you can, the waist band might be rubbing right over your incisions. Lounge/yoga pants are softer, will expand, and unlike jeans you can move where the elastic sits around your waist. Too, if the surgeon encounters issues that require your surgery to be switched to abdominal, you'll want to be able to accommodate that.

I wore lounge pants to the hospital with an oversized t-shirt, a different t-shirt home because I figured I'd sweat profusely with my nerves . They don't have to look like PJ bottoms - a favorite pair of mine I could wear to work on casual Fridays.

Unread 09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 10/4: What did you wear home from the hospital?

What about a loose maxi skirt or dress if you really don't want to wear yoga pants home... I personally have some nice yoga pants but it's totally a personal choice but I would defanitly skip the jeans... Sorry Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2016, 11:16 AM

Wore the same maxi dress I was wearing going in. Perfect
Unread 09-27-2016, 12:48 PM

I wore a pair of Victoria's Secret sweat pants, very comfy, loose and not your typical sweat pants. Along with that I wore a baggy t shirt. I didn't even bother to put a bra on because I knew I wouldn't want to after surgery. You may want to make sure you have some slip on shoes or slippers as well. I couldn't imagine bending over to tie my shoes after surgery, and mine was davinci laparoscopic as well. I kinda wish I had just brought slippers seeing as they wouldn't let me walk out and insisted on me being in a wheelchair.
Unread 09-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys! Lounge pants it is! (As for shoes, I'll just wear my flip flops.)
Unread 09-27-2016, 01:39 PM

I wore a sundress in and back home, with flip flops. I thought it was perfect because it was super comfortable and still didn't look like a slob.
Unread 09-28-2016, 04:23 AM

Personally, I would recommend against the flip flops, because they're not very supportive, which could put you at risk for a trip or fall. I wore my walking shoes, with elasticized laces so I wouldn't have to bend down and tie them. As for pants, I wore sweatpants, which coordinated with the running shoes, and had a drawstring waist to accomodate my "swelly belly." I also wore them to the hospitsl, so I wouldn't have to pack so much. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 09-28-2016, 04:59 AM

Through post surgery and healing my go to was wide waist band lounge pants, yoga pants or skirts. Don't think I needed a binder but the wide waist band supported the swelly belly and didn't rub.

Nine weeks out this jeans gal still finds them uncomfortable when sitting. =( I think my incisions sites and my jeans waist just coexist in the exact same spot.
Unread 09-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Pretty much the same clothes I wore going in. I wore a pair of pants that were loose around the waist. Going in, I put a safety pin in the waistband to hold them up. Going home three days later, I took the safety pin out and they fit perfectly. Also, I wore the croc-wannabes I'd been wearing for walks around the ward rather than struggle to get my sneakers onto my swollen feet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register