Two ablations in 2 years | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two ablations in 2 years Two ablations in 2 years

Unread 08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Two ablations in 2 years

I just had my second ablation on 8-20 in two years for heavy menstrual bleeding. (I will be 40 next month). I have a long standing history of PCOS and infertility. I did pretty good after the first ablation until a week ago or so. I just had light spotting after I healed from the first ablation. Then you know what broke loose, and I found myself back in surgery.

I am still having some cramping and occasionally I have a quick sharp pain. Last night, I passed a pea sized clot after the sharp pain. I don't remember having cramps this far out after the last ablation, but I don't remember four sure.

I have been trying to do some research on the success of multiple ablations. From what I can find out, it seems like two is the limit. A couple of sites I looked at said that only one ablation was recommended.

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a patient having more than two ablations, or is that the limit?

I am so scared that this ablation will fail, and I will end up having to have a TAH/BSO. Since I have never had children, I am sure that a TAH will be the option the surgeon will want. I also think that having my ovaries removed will be indicated...they haven't functioned in 25 years, so why should I keep them?

I also wonder if I should just go ahead and schedule a hyst and have it done and over with? My hubby and I have been discussing the pros and cons of just going ahead with surgery. I have been looking at possibly changing jobs, but if I do that in the next few months and need surgery emergently, I will not be eligible for FMLA time. Plus since I carry the health insurance coverage for our family, that would also be an issue if I would switch jobs and then require surgery.

As you can tell, I am really confused and scared. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this post seems like it has babbled and gone nowhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Two ablations in 2 years

I'm sorry you have to deal with the pain as well as insurance and work issues. I had a successful ablation in Dec 06 as well as removal of left ovary, cyst, and endo. I never bled again but the monthly pain was pretty bad, they suspect I have adeno as well. A month ago I had some more endo cleaned up and removed the right ovary to deal with endo regrowth and pain, seems to have done the trick, (I'm 42) no pain (surgical or otherwise), no menopause symptoms and I won't have to deal with possible complications from a hysterectomy, maybe this option is something you can discuss with your doctor.
Unread 08-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Two ablations in 2 years

Thanks for the reply. I don't have endo, so fortunately that is one other obstacle I don't have to mess with on top of everything else.

As long as I stay at my same employer, insurance and FMLA time won't be an issue. I just can't switch jobs before I have this issue resolved. I am not totally unhappy in my current job situation, but as a nurse I always have my eyes open for something else. I can hang on in my current job as long as I need to get through this situation. Actually it would probably be best for me to stay at my current employer (a hospital), because I am good friends with most everyone there. They would be another source of support for me if I decide to go through with this. I had my other two surgeries there, and I just felt so supported by everyone.

Hubby and I have spoke at length about the pros and cons, and have been seeing more pros than cons. I would be so lost without him. He is truly my Rock of Gibraltar.

I don't feel like going through a whole bunch of testing just to be told that "your best option is hysterectomy."

Also right now, I am actually getting brave enough to think about going through with this. Who knows? In a couple of months I may not be so brave.

I am so glad that I found this site. Even in the very short time I have been here, it has already been a tremendous blessing to me. I have learned so much already! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Two ablations in 2 years

One thing to remember is that a hysterectomy does not necessarily cure everything. Thus, you do want to be sure you know exactly what is wrong and that the hysterectomy is the right option for you. You also want to be prepared in case you end up with some of the not so fun complications -- as I did!

Weigh all the pros and cons for you. Seek at least a second opinion. And do have tests done that will let you know what the problem might be so that you can decide if the hysterectomy is going to be the best option for you. Possibly there is another option, even besides an ablation, that may be successful for you!

Sending S and best wishes your way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register