Fever, chills, nausea and body ache - help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fever, chills, nausea and body ache - help! Fever, chills, nausea and body ache - help!

Unread 04-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Fever, chills, nausea and body ache - help!

I'm 3 weeks post op and been having alittle trouble.. the 1st 2 wks were a slight nightmare with no bm until 10 days post op, pain and really persistent vaginal discharge. Things were finally starting to look up the past few days but last night was probably close to the worst night so far.
I was doing fine - watching tv and fiddling around on the computer and once I was ready for bed, I started getting terrible chills suddenly. My body really started aching and I started getting flu like symptoms. My husband came up and helped me put on a fleece sweater and fleece pants, getting to sleep was a nightmare! I finally woke up intermittently with nausea, so close to throwing up then got ridiculously hot so took off my extra layers..my 3 month old son woke up, I went to check on him and ended up fainting from a dizzy spell. I tried to drink water but it was like chills in my veins. I woke up again with violent gas pains, went to the bathroom and had very loose stools/diarrhea..along with nausea. When I got back in bed the chills started again.. I couldn't even get up to get medicine, I was scared to take them on an empty stomach and definitely had no appetite. I finally caved about an hr ago and took everything I had- 800mg ibuprofen, 1/2 tab perc, 500mg apap, some gasx and an ondansetron.
Just waiting for the advice nurse line to open so I thought I'd see if anyone had similar experiences.. oh and I did finally take my temp, its 103.5f.
I read on my discharge summary those are all symptoms to look for while recovering..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Re: Fever, chills, nausea and body ache - help!

Kalei , so sorry you are have such a rough time. However with a temp like that you need to be seen right away. Hope you have already talked to someone and you are on your way now. Keep us posted how you do. Healing vibes sent your way!!
Unread 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Oh my goodness! I have not had this, but glad that you are calling in to the nurse/doctor.. Keep us updated.

(hugs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Not something I experienced either. I hope your doctor can tell you what to do to feel better. It doesn't sound like a good time at all.
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:11 PM

Wow! 3 weeks post op tomorrow. Last week I became so very sick. Simular issues, runny stools, dizzy, blacking out, but no fever. I was scared enough I went to the er. They said I was dehydrated, and had a UTI and maybe a gi infection... They gave me iv fluids and antibiotic.
Then I had a reaction to the meds and started puking... no good... went to my doc the next day and he said no uti so I still don't know what happened.
Hope you get to feeling better soon, and yes get to a doc asap that fever is to high
Unread 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM

GO TO THE ER IMMEDIATELY! That fever means bad news no matter what! GO NOW!
Unread 04-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Yeah I went in to see the dr today, she did a culture and had to do a blood test and urine test for infection. She said I may have some abscess on the vaginal cuff and it felt like there was some fluid retention in that area. I'm scheduled for an ultrasound tmrw to check for the fluid. Makes sense it could be an infection. When I got home my fever was 102.9f but I was able to take some more Meds and its gone down. Hoping to hear some good news tmrw but it doesn't seem likely.. I just wish I could catch a break.
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:40 PM

Im surprised they are making you wait on the ultrasound. I had something similar happen to me after my LSH/BSO. I had horrible pain, fever, throwing up, and chills. They did blood work and an ultrasound in the office that same day. They found several absesses and my blood work was showing I had a pretty bad infection. I was sent from my doctors office to the hospital. I have never been that sick in my life. Please go to the er if you start to feel any worse. Infections will only get worse until treated. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM

had an ultrasound today, they found fluid collection and a small mass that my doctor says seems to be abscess above the vaginal cuff (I think). I need to do a CT scan tmrw to confirm for sure that it is abscess and how severe it is. My doctor says, right now it doesn't appear to be big or spread to any other areas but only the ct scan will confirm. She also said that sometime when they are small they can go away themselves. I had started levaquin and flagyl yesterday so the doc says we will continue the oral antibiotics for 2 wks then ct scan again shortly after to check for resolution.
I've read some others have experienced abscess and needed to be admitted to the hospital, I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that for me but really overall I just want to get better so whatever it takes!
I want to move on from all of this, physically and emotionally and this is just another bump in the road.
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

I hope you can avoid the hospital too. Take the antibiotics exactly like they are prescribed. Avoid ALL alcohol while taking flagyl including mouth wash, perfume, anything with alcohol that you drink or put on your body. It can make you VERY ill. Get lots of rest and let everyone pamper you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register