Please help!15 weeks today... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help!15 weeks today... Please help!15 weeks today...

Unread 07-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Please help!15 weeks today...

Hi Ladies, HELP! I'm 15 weeks today and have pain in my lower left pelvic region. I begged for an ultrasound a while back and they saw a small complex cyst on my left ovary. I went on the pill and started to feel better within 4 or 5 days. Over the last two weeks my hubby and I had a terrible virus, mine turned in to bronchitis as usual ,and I thought I would die everytime I coughed. Now it feels as if I'm starting all over with this left side, low pain. If it were the cyst that was causing this relentless pain, would coughing had riled it up again? I keep thinking something is wrong in my healing (TVH), but my doctor is a "wait and see" kind of dr. I only got the ultrsound after ASKING for it. I don't know what to ask for to find out what is causing this pain. All the nurses just keep telling me I'm a slow healer when I call.

I have become quite depressed, pain and not being able to just do the bare necessaties around here, let alone have any fun. Last night I finally told my DH I feel like I can't go on like this, I've been thinking that way too much. I don't know where to turn anymore. It feels as if I've been pushed aside by the doctors because I'm a difficult case, and even my prayers are hitting a wall. I am SO depressed. I know no one can just make it all go away, but I feel so desparate. I would sure appreciate your ideas and understanding.
Thanks,
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2005, 05:19 PM

Cathy- Hugs sweetie.... I am sorry that you are having such a tough time. I would suggest you find another doc, If you cant get this one to take you serious, maybe its time to find another. Its easy to get feeling down when things arent going good, believe me, I have had many of those days...... I'll be praying for you to find answers to your problems.
snickers
Unread 07-11-2005, 07:47 PM

Cathy,

I'm wondering if in your healing, you have either formed an adhesion involving the ovary and its surrounding tissue - or perhaps it has even adhesed to the bowel or ureters on that side. I know I had terrible pain prior to surgery and the doc found my ovary adhesed to my bowel.

Can you go to your reg doc - or perhaps an internist or urologist? You can tell them that you have come to them because your gyn can't help you with the pain and you'd like to find an answer to the pain. Try to paint the doc in a positive light but let the other doc(s) know that you have exhausted the gyn tests with your gyn. Unfortunately, I have learned the very hard way that you have to be your own advocate when it comes to healthcare. I didn't push for answers and I ended up having a stroke because of it. (I actually had a doc prescribe anti-depressants because she didn't believe I was having the symptoms I said I was.) I told my parents that the worst part is that you have to push the hardest when you feel least like it!

Let us know what you find out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Thanks for your replies... I called the Dr's office today to ask about a referral I was told I could have to their laproscopic surgeon. They had no record of it on computer and I was told someone would call me back - no one did. So I'll get on the phone again tomorrow. I have another ultrasound in mid August to look at the cyst, but I not so sure that is what the pain is from. It feels like the cuff of my vagina, but on the inside part... inside my abdomen and radiates out toward my groin and up to about the top of my pubic bone. It hurts when my bladder is full or filling, when I strain in any way and when my bowel has content in that area.

Luvhouse, what you say makes sense to me, but how do I ask the doctors if it makes sense to them? Do I request a cat scan? or can they even tell without another operation? That is an awful thought, but not as bad as having this pain for who knows how much longer. Thanks for the encouragement, I am so sorry your Dr. didn't listen to you and you ended up with the stroke. I hope you are recovering well.

Snickers, I so much appreciate your prayers... thank you.
Cathy
Unread 07-12-2005, 12:54 PM

Cathy,

I'm not sure how they can tell about the bowel without surgery. I had been having bowel problems and had an MRI and a colonoscopy and neither of those showed the problem until the doc got into my belly. I think - I may be wrong though - that it is easier to tell about bladder and ureter problems. I had an IVP (series of xrays with dye in your system) and was used in diagnosing an issue (or lack thereof) with my right ureter. A call to a urologist's office should be able to answer that question.

When they did the ultrasound, did they say anything about a hematoma in your belly? Hematomas can put a lot of pressure on your bladder and other 'insides'. I have one. The initial pain of it has backed off as the belly swelling has gone done but I still feel the pressure when I roll over on my tummy at night. They say that most hematomas resorb but you shouldn't have to tolerate extended pain because of it.

The good news for you is that if they do have to go into your belly laproscopically to look around, it won't be nearly as bad as the TAH was. I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically a couple years ago and it was so much easier than the TAH. And, if they are just looking around and not cutting stuff out of you, it is probably even easier. NOT FUN! But not as bad as the TAH or TVH either.

As for bringing it up, you can tell the doc that you were mentioning your pain to a friend and she said she had experienced something similar and here's what hers was.... My philosophy has become to let doc's roll their eyes or do whatever they want to, I'm going to ask for what I need/want - and push the point. Afterall, if they refuse the treatment and come to find out there was something that they could have caught by my request, they are liable. I was told by a doc to just say to the refusing doc, 'I want it recorded in my chart that I requested this and you refused'. Of course, that's an end-of-the-rope statement but you have to do what you have to do!

Thank you for your thoughts, btw. I have recovered better than I had ever imagined when I was first hit with the stroke. My right hand was paralyzed for several weeks but I've got back 95% usage so I know I'm blessed. The other lingering effects (disturbed eyesight and balance problems) are resolving as well. The rest of the problems cleared up fairly quickly after the stroke. I learned a lot of life lessons through that experience!

Keep us posted of what happens when you talk to the doc(s). I'm locking pinkies with you and going to pull for you to get a fast response!
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:41 AM

Luvhouse, thank you! So much good information. Depression has lifted a bit and I am so thankful. I talked to the Dr.s nurse yesterday and will hear back today about the referral to the laproscopic surgeon in the office. I would just like to consult with him.

Concerning the hematoma issue, I had a one that burst the stitches early on with the rectocele repair that I had... and judging by the way it felt, I think I probably had one inside around the cuff area later in my healing, (but I didn't bleed vaginally with it as I had the first time.) No tests were done to check for it and I was told my pain was due to being a slow healer. Maybe they were right, since the pain seems to ebb and then I strain or am on my feet a long time and it comes back, I understand hematomas usually resolve pretty quick, at least the initail pain of them. I have no idea. But by the time they did the ultra-sound no one saw a hematoma. Everyone was pretty sure the pain I was having was due to a small cyst on my ovary.

I remember talking to you on a post about how we chose our names here on Hystersisters. I wrote you back how much I liked "House" too! Whats with it not being on last night? Have we already seen all the episodes twice? Not fair, Tuesday nights won't be as fun!

I am so glad you are coming back so well physically. Blessing to you, and continued healing to us all!

Cathy
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:52 AM

My girlfriend had terrible pain with a cyst on her ovary a year after her TVH - and had to have it removed via emergency surgery. Maybe it's your cyst acting up again??? Wish I had more answers for you.... hopefully some DR can help you.
God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register