Were ur bowels slow to "wake up"? How long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Were ur bowels slow to "wake up"? How long? Were ur bowels slow to "wake up"? How long?

Unread 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Were ur bowels slow to "wake up"? How long?

Still haven't really passed gas, except for belching. Not sure if that counts. Last 2 nurses listened to my tummy and said that everything is still moving slow. How long were u that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Re: Were ur bowels slow to "wake up"? How long?

I'm not sure when they started hearing bowel sounds but I had my TAH Friday and didn't pass gas until Monday night, got released Tuesday, and went for the first time late that afternoon at home.
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Took me a day or two, give it time, drink plenty and get moving ASAP. Make sure you open your bowels too....good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM

I was able to pass gas the first night, but I didn't poop for 5 days and had to go to the ER because I couldn't go even after taking laxatives and suppositories. Do not let yourself go too long without pooping and end up in the ER like me. It was awful. I found that eating prunes, taking metamucil, and stool softeners really helped keep me going. Be sure to be drinking lots of fluids and taking stool softeners. Talk to your doctor too and see how long they want you to go before taking something strong to help you poop. Constipation and gas were the worst pain I had during my whole recovery and I wish I would have starting taking a laxative etc earlier before I was so backed up that I was throwing up. I hope you find some relief soon. The first time I passed gas I was amazed at how hard it was to get it. It is hard at first, but once it starts coming out, tell everyone to stay clear as they can be explosive! Take care!
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Drink LOTS of water....take the stool softeners...my doc says 6-8 weeks minimum...Walk...drink walk some more. Rest Veggies...prunes or prune juice. The first couple weeks after surgery....I ate 4 strawberries with every meal....not sure why....but the basement region is working very well...
Hope everything "comes out ok"...lol...
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM

I didn't pass gas until about 36 hours after surgery. Still not passing much here at home.
Unread 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM

It took me a day and a half to pass gas, then 4 days to go. Even then I couldn't finish, it was painful so I could only do what was ready to come immediately. I definetely couldn't push. I am now 16 days post op and have started moving pretty good, not exactly regular but better each day. Walking, taking stool softeners and eating the right things such as lots of fruits and veggies definetely helps alot. Good luck!
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Took me 5 days for a BM and to pass gas. Miralax once a day for three days before that happened.
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Took me 7 days before a BM. Was having gas though.
Unread 11-08-2012, 10:52 AM

Check out the hints under the preop forum. I have a post there and I know there are others that deal with this very subject.
Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register