TAH Question about Colace? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Colace? Question about Colace?

Unread 10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Question about Colace?

Day 15- TAH....I have a question for those of you who are using Colace. Do you take 1, 2, or 3 pills a day? I've been taking 1 the last 2 days and I think I really need to up the dose to 2....I'm still really constipated. Ugh!!! Otherwise I'm doing well....just the awful constipation. I probably should be eating more fiber, I just don't want any cramps. Any suggestions also on what foods will 'help' but won't cause cramps? Does the warm prune juice really help?

Thanks in advance ladies for any replies. Really need help here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Re: Question about Colace?

Try adding a dose of Miralax every morning. It helps a lot and doesn't cause any cramping. You can't even taste it in coffee. I still put a teaspoon in my coffee every morning and I'm 8 weeks post op. Best of luck to you!
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM

I used 2 a day. I still use Miralax in my coffee every morning...it works great but it may take a few days in order to become regular again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM

I had horrible constipation a week after surgery. The colace did not work for me. Everyone suggested milk of magnesia before bed...that worked for me. A lot of women also suggested drinking a glass of warm water. Drink A LOT of water tho, for sure. Good luck..it gets better.
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:47 PM

If you can get them, kiwifruit are a big help. Two a day!

I eat them all year round - plentiful here in Kiwi-land (!) - and after the two days of constipation while stil in hospital, I had no more problems once I got back home and on to my high fibre diet and kiwifruit!

Drink a lot of fluids!
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:52 AM

Thank you all so very much! I will try some of your suggestions. Love and Hugs to all!!! <3
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM

Hi Carolyne72 After my hysterectomy, they had me taking a colace after each meal, so 3x a day.

I found warm prune juice to work well; also, hot strong black coffee and, for some unknown reason, vanilla ice cream works for me.

I would not take Miralax or any other OTC laxatives unless your DR says it's OK first.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:07 PM

My surgery was 1 week ago. My doctor told me to start taking a stool softner after surgery. I started taking 1 pill every night before bed. That seemed to really work the first few days, but by day 4, it was overkill because I started to have very lose stools! So, I stopped taking it and have had normal stools ever since. I have been eating normal, well balanced meals.

Beth
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:50 PM

I had to up the Colace to 2 a day to keep things moving. The pharmacist said to take them 8 hrs apart. However, they did bother my stomach and I stopped taking them. When things got stopped up, the doctor suggested Miralax and that worked really well. I'm still taking it.
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:00 AM

I was taking 3 a day and not really helping. After a week I took 1 laxatives pill. 2 nights in a row and today things are finally moving. I do think I've had more gas pains in my belly though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register