Upcoming hysterectomy: waiting, anxious, and prepping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: waiting,  anxious, and prepping Upcoming hysterectomy: waiting, anxious, and prepping

Unread 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: waiting, anxious, and prepping

I am preparing for surgery in a few weeks, and I have mixed feelings. I'm super excited for the surgery, ready to get it done! But I'm nervous about recovery. I'm prepping as much as I can, but I feel like I'm going to forget something. I've made several freezer meals in family portions for my husband and children and individual portions for myself. I've got bags packed and schedules arranged, sitters lined up, and time off work planned.

I had a tubal ligation done 5 years ago, and I was back on my feet in a couple days. I'm hoping for a similar recovery, but want to be prepared for a much longer time if needed. How did you prepare? What do you suggest to have on hand? I don't even have my clothes figured out yet, I am not sure what to wear that will be cool and comfortable.

And my husband is obsessing over how soon we can be intimate after surgery. There's just so much to take care of before surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Re: waiting, anxious, and prepping

Ok intimacy, I would probably guess that it's going to be at least 6 weeks, I prepped some meals, gave the house a good scrubbing, made sure I had my meds at home before I went in for surgery. I bought some comfy jogging pants to leave the hospital in but at home mainly wore my pjs. Once I was up and around I wore yoga pants for the first few weeks, the jeans bothered my incisions. You sound like you are wee organized. Also get some gas x and maybe a laxative just in case you need it. The gas pains were terrible and it takes some time for the BM dept to start working again. Good luck
Unread 02-10-2015, 05:22 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: waiting, anxious, and prepping

Gather all your meds, pads, and personal items before surgery. At your preop ask for your pain meds so you can have them filled the day before surgery. It will be one less thing to do after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2015, 11:21 AM

I really didn't do anything to prepare, other than some furniture moving that would have to otherwise be done after my surgery but before I was allowed to do it! I don't have any kids to worry about so that was a help. I didn't prepare meals etc, because I expected to be capable of doing that after surgery (and I was) and if not, I knew that my husband could do it. I don't know where you live, I had mine in the summer, and wore a sundress and flip flips which was perfect because it was loose and comfortable, and I didn't have to bend over to put on the flip flops. If its cold where you are now, maybe yoga pants or something like that? I did not buy anything in particular, and the only thing I really wished I had was some underwear that covered my incision completely. I was lucky to have a very easy recovery and was able to do most things for myself, other than lifting, extreme exertion, sex and bathing/swimming. I hope you have a recovery as easy as mine was!

Oh, and tell your husband he is going to have to suck it up. I had to wait 9 weeks for sex, and it is really important that you follow whatever time period your dr gives you for that!
Unread 02-10-2015, 12:38 PM

Thanks ladies!
My husband will be at work everyday, second shift, so I will have to handle dinner/bath/bedtime for my 3 kids by myself. That's what worries me most.

And I'm perfectly fine with never having sex again. Lol. I had complications when our middle child was born, and I had surgery right after our third child was born, so my husband is worried it will be a while. I hate sex, so I'm happy for the break!

I will take notes of all these ideas. Thanks again!
Unread 02-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26andREADY View Post
Thanks ladies!
My husband will be at work everyday, second shift, so I will have to handle dinner/bath/bedtime for my 3 kids by myself. That's what worries me most.

And I'm perfectly fine with never having sex again. Lol. I had complications when our middle child was born, and I had surgery right after our third child was born, so my husband is worried it will be a while. I hate sex, so I'm happy for the break!

I will take notes of all these ideas. Thanks again!
Dear 26andReady,

Is it possible you can get a trusted friend or family member to help you with the tots? Or is there a religious organization that may be able to offer you some support from volunteers?

I am concerned as you should not be bending and lifting ....and this can really impact your recovery. I say this not to scare you, but you may not be physically strong enough for these tasks, which are exhausting when you are well, I am sure. Additionally, please check with your doctor prior to surgery about your proposed activity level and get recommendations to help you through.

Hugs and please keep us posted.
Unread 02-10-2015, 02:14 PM

My kids are 10, 6 and 5, so I won't have to do too much. And my oldest can heat meals, help the little ones get dressed, etc. I don't have any local friends, so that's why I am trying to prepare as much as possible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register