Need a surgeon to perform a myomectomy | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need a surgeon to perform a myomectomy Need a surgeon to perform a myomectomy

Unread 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Need a surgeon to perform a myomectomy

Hi, I'm in search of a surgeon that have the skill and will do a myomectomy on me. I have a 9cm Submucosal/intramural/subserosal fibroid that most docs recommend hysterectomy. I'm in the Northern Virginia area, if you know or used a good surgeon, please email me. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Re: Need a surgeon to perform a myomectomy

To find a surgeon, you can try contacting your insurance company, local hospitals where myomectomies are performed, and check www.suggestadoctor.com and search for myomectomy + Virginia.

Have you spoken specifically with a gynecological surgeon about your situation and what your options might be? Your own GYN may be able to give you the names of surgeons in your area who perform myomectomies so you can find out if you are a candidate.

s
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM

Hi Weiser,
thanks for your reply. My Gyn started doing Da Vinci Robotic surgery few years ago and she refused to do a myomectomy on me, only hyster. After discussing with her a couple times, she no longer wants to see me (her staff canceled my appt). Now, I'm on my own to find a good surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2012, 12:30 PM

You can start by simply finding another gynecologist.

Your prior surgeon may have refused the myomectomy for a number of reasons. A surgeon has to take into consider your situation, her experience, standard of care for your situation, etc. when determining how to procedure. A surgeon cannot perform a procedure which she feels in not in your best interest even if that is your preference.

It does sound like you need a second opinion about your options. Another surgeon may have a different point of you depending on his/her own experience, skills, etc., but keep in mind that not all gynecologists perform myomectomies so it may take some leg work on your part to find a surgeon who can determine if this is an option for you.

S
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Good God!! I am not here to make your issue sound small or anything (please don't take it wrong!) but hyst for a 9cm fibroid???

You gotta keep seeking for docs who agrees o myo, girl!!

I am 36 and back in 2003 I had myo to remove 26 fibroid in 3 hours operation!! Biggest ones were like 8cm, 7cm, 6cm, then few 2-3cm but mostly big ones!!

And sorry, your fibroid locates subserosal, right? That's 'non urgent' fibroid they say as I suppose you're not suffering from heavy bleeding makes you pass out often? - like having fibroid internally in uterus.

I had UAE 6 months ago for 28 weeks size of pregnancy tummy, my uterus is 24 * 17 * 11cm in size, since UAE failed on reducing the size of my fibroid, few days ago I stated thinking of hyst and that's why I am back on this forum. This is the kid of situation you need hyst and even though I am not 100% decided on! My fibroid was 20-24 weeks big 10 month ago, STILL, I went to UAE not hyst.

No, in your case, you're def myo.
Please don't give up!

But at the same time........ I am not saying myo resolves all your problems IF you have more than one and if it's recurring like mine. OF course, now at my age 36, single for a year, I should've have had hyst back in 2003 but of course no one knew I didn't have babies in the last 10 years no one knew my 11 yrs of relationship would fail, no one knew the fibroid would come back this big!

Good luck. )
Unread 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Btw, I said your case def myo but my friend went for a laparo for 11cm. The doctor didn't know she had 11cm fibrid hiding behind her bladder. It was partially hidden. He didn't find it with X-ray or MRI or both I forgot which one she took before the operation, but he cut 11cm into pieces and removed without it competely the ablation.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register