Lap, D&C & ablation coming up: any tips/advice? | Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lap, D&C & ablation coming up: any tips/advice? Lap, D&C & ablation coming up: any tips/advice?

Unread 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Lap, D&C & ablation coming up: any tips/advice?

I have my pre-op appointment coming up for my scheduled laparoscopy with D&C and uterine ablation in November (day before Thanksgiving). I am relieved to have made a decision finally! I may end up with a hysterectomy in a few years anyway, but thought this is worth a try. I have 3 young kids and really couldn't see myself with a long recovery. I have a fibroid, PCOS, endometriosis, and polyps causing painful periods and spotting most days of the month. Can hardly wait for the surgery! So...any tips/advice for me? I had lap 8 years ago and the two things I remember was not being able to empty my bladder so I had to wear a catheter for 5 days and being miserable from pain in my shoulder. No one told me they fill you with air so to expect pain from that as it dissapates. Is there anything, like taking gas med. that could help with that? I have never had an ablation so not sure what to expect from that either. I want to write questions down before my pre-op appointment because I always seem to forget everything! Thank you in advance!!! I love this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Re: Lap, D&C & ablation coming up: any tips/advice?

I had the same operations you are having this past May. I also had polyps, but had them removed a month earlier. I didn't try anything for the gas pain from the lap, so not sure if that would work or not, I wish I would have thought about that! A friend had the same operations also. She said the pain from the gas was "annoying", but had very little cramping from the ablation itself. I was in agony about an hour after the procedure and was given 8 or 9 doses of Fentanyl before being released. I had my husband home to help me for a week, and I needed it. Was pretty limited for the next week as well. Not trying to scare you--my doctor told me I would be back to normal within a day or 2 and that was NOT the case for me. I was not expecting the amount of pain I experienced, and would have liked to have had some warning that that was a possibility. But as I said, my friend experienced none of this, and was back to work within 3 days. Everyone recovers differently.

As for the results afterwards, for me it has definitely helped with the bleeding. My friend who had it done is 41, and she hasn't had another period since (had hers in April). I was not quite that lucky, but I guess the younger you are, the more likely you are to still get a period. My first post-ablation period required only a panty liner, and lasted maybe 3 days. This was almost unfathomable to me, after 20 years of super plus tampons and overnight pads not doing the job, and bleeding lasting anywhere from 7-12 days! My period has gotten slightly heavier with each month that goes by (I was under the impression that it was supposed to lighten, not increase, so will be bringing this up to my doctor if it gets any heavier), but is still much improved from before. As far as pain goes, it has not helped with that. However, nothing was ever determined as to what was causing my pain, and perhaps if you are having endo excised that will help with your pain (no endo was found during my lap).

I hope these procedures help you, and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Danielle
Unread 10-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Also, if you do have to take painkillers afterwards (as I mentioned, I had several doses of Fentanyl and was prescribed Percocet, which I took along with Motrin for about a week afterwards) be sure to get some Miralax, Dulcolax, or some other form of stool softener and/or gentle laxative. I had horrible constipation after all of that pain medication, and that coupled with the pain I was already in made things pretty miserable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2012, 12:35 AM

Hi,

I had a thermal ablation 2 yrs ago and it all went fine,
6 months ago my periods where back with a vengeance flooding and clots,
back in nappies.
So i went back got an appointment with my Gynae and i had a vaginal scan and i have the womb lining back with 5cm Fibroid and a cyst on my right ovary.
I said enough is enough i want a Hysterectomy and now i'm waiting for my date to come thru' couldn't be happier.

lexy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register