Scheduled TLH Pre surgery blues and other stuff | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre surgery blues and other stuff Pre surgery blues and other stuff

Unread 02-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Pre surgery blues and other stuff

so a good friend was having a baby shower last weekend and I cried in the middle of target trying to pick a gift for her so there's that, I tried to talk to my family about it but they just don't get it, I feel like most ladies here will. I have come to terms with my choice to go through with the hysterectomy but the finality of that just comes back to bite me every once in a while. So now my surgery is set for next Friday and I just feel like I'll never be ready, I've been reading a bunch of posts to see what people have said they've needed and what they haven't needed, it sounds like everyone loves the binders and I've read a lot about hard candy for the hospital and chapstick, I guess the question I would love to ask is, if you could only bring one thing to the hospital what would it be, and what was your number one life saver at home? Also for anyone else that has total laparoscopic about how long was your recovery time, when were you feeling good to drive and head back to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Re: Pre surgery blues and other stuff

My surgery is March 5, and I'd be interested to hear the answer to this! (Hospital must-haves)

I just also want to say that I'm sorry...I understand, from my own perspective, your feelings and how ordinary things can trigger the sense of loss. Six years ago, I suffered a pregnancy loss late in my first trimester. There was a girl at work who got pregnant at roughly the same time, and, though I wished her the best, seeing her everyday at work was tough for me. The conflicting emotions of truly wishing her the best, yet feeling my own profound sense of loss was devastating. When she had her shower, I just couldn't go. I sent a gift, but I just could not go. And I was like that for at least a year or two after my loss. I still would feel it after that, but not quite as deeply. I had tried to get pregnant again after my loss, but never did. In my situation, loss of a pregnancy or loss of the ability to get pregnant, were both very real senses of emptiness; I did what I needed to do to cope.

For me, it was wishing the person well (sending a gift) but cutting myself the break of not having to attend in person. With time, these feelings were less raw. Another cousin just had a shower and a baby this past fall, and it was the first time I recognized in myself that I could be genuinely happy for someone, yet not feel completely empty myself. It took about five or six years for me to get there--and it is different for every person.

I wish you all the best on your upcoming surgery!
Unread 02-23-2015, 04:55 PM

I'm sorry for the feelings of loss you are experiencing. While I knew I wasn't going to have any children, I felt the finality of that after my surgery. If there weren't health benefits and quality of life improvements associated with surgery, you probably wouldn't be having it and you wouldn't have been able to come to terms with it. My hope for you is that as you see improvements in your physical wellbeing, your sense of loss will diminish. S

Things I took to the hospital
Gown, pjs, underwear, pads, sudoku book, personal hygiene items, lip balm, clothes to wear home. Husband brought my IPad to me each day when he came to visit. Most important item that I took would be the lip balm, then the IPad and of course the clothes to wear home (might have scared people as I left the hospital otherwise ). I didn't use the gown, pjs, underwear, pads, sudoku book, and some of the personal hygiene items. So most of the stuff I took, I didn't need.

At home, the most important item was the IPad, then the TV in my nest (both kept me occupied during the first few weeks of recovery). I had a lot of support at home to take care of meals, house, dogs, etc.

Best wishes for surgery and an uneventful recovery to both of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2015, 03:10 AM

My surgery was yesterday and dr said if all went well i could go home but i wanted to prepare anyway so i packed lightly. Pj's, underwear, hairbrush, tooth brush, toothpaste, set of clothes to wear home, cell phone & charger and chapstick. I didnt take any hard candy but i wish i would have. My mouth & throat was so dry!!.... also you will bleed so if u want to take pads from home you can but the hospital furnishes them for you along with mesh underwear (wore those home)....... At home use lots of pillows especially in bed (i learned this the hard way when i tried to get up). I also got a side table for my recliner (end table works to) to set my stuff on during the day..... Good luck

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register