Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy - vertical incision heals faster? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy - vertical incision heals faster? Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy - vertical incision heals faster?

Unread 09-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy - vertical incision heals faster?

upcoming abdominal hysterectomy a bit nervous about the pain an healing process. someone said the vertical way heals faster is this true
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2015, 09:20 PM

Hi! I had my surgery on 9/16. Today is day 9 and it's the best I've felt since surgery. I have an 8" bikini line incision. It's been healing wonderfully since day one. I have had a lot of pain and discomfort, especially when moving around. It's hard to move without engaging your core. The healing process just takes time. I honestly don't know much about the vertical incision. My uterus weighed 3 pounds!

Best of luck to you!
Unread 09-26-2015, 07:42 AM

thank you so much for sharing all. the best in your recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2015, 08:29 AM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy - vertical incision heals faster?

I had a vertical incision, 7" closed by 38 staples. I don't know if it healed "faster" or not, but I had a really easy recovery, with minimal pain and no complications. By four weeks out, I was walking 3-6 miles a day. I was cleared at the time to return to work at a part-time desk job, lift up to 30 lbs, run, cycle and swim. Abdominal exercise and weights > 30 lbs had to wait until six weeks.
Unread 10-02-2015, 08:22 PM

thank you so much for helpful comments
Unread 10-03-2015, 07:02 AM

Well my mom had a vertical incision, and I had a Horizontal. In all honesty I pushed for the horizontal because this would be my second abdominal surgery and I didn't want an upside down cross on my tummy. So, some (lots?) vanity played into that decision.

I have had a very easy uneventful recovery. Was able to walk 3 miles at 1.5 weeks, at at my 5 week point just did a 15 mile walk. I know that's a bit extreme, but I am training for an Ultra (30 mile) run that will happen 8 weeks after surgery - that I am actually going to walk. I have no pain and everything feels really good. OK the incision is a bit tender, and I have yet worn jeans, but all in all it's going well.

Basically, I think it's up to you - if your uterus is too large or the problem you have to address is such that a vertical incision is the best idea - then go that way. Else, you could make the choice. My uterus - when all was said and done was about 1lb - no pretty big but not huge.

Good luck.
Unread 10-03-2015, 10:52 PM

I had a very long vertical incision for both my hysterectomy and my exploratory laparotomy. In fact, they went through the hysterectomy scar for the ex lap.

It's a year since my last surgery and you can barely tell I had it done. The only problem I had right after surgery was the embarrassing nerve pain that emanated from the scar.

I was on full restrictions until 6 weeks after my Hyster and 8 weeks after my ex lap. I think my scars healed faster than the rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register