Anyone here have a waterbed??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone here have a waterbed??? Anyone here have a waterbed???

Unread 04-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Anyone here have a waterbed???

Hi everyone,

My husband and I have a waterbed, and I am wondering how soon it will be before I can sleep there with him after surgery? I know it takes more stomach muscles to get in and out, and I know he can help give me a boost from behind, because that is what he did when I was pregnant. But I am thinking that it may be a little uncomfortable for a time. Did anyone else here have experience with a waterbed after surgery? Thanks in advance for you help......take care.

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 10:50 AM

It took about 3 weeks before I was able to go to my nice comfy waterbed. I slept on the couch for about a week, then thought I could go straight from that to the bed. Nope!!!! I had to move to an air mattress first (we use one for camping) for about another week or so. Then it was still a little uncomfortable, but it was better than the other two options which were starting to hurt my back pretty bad. Couldn't sleep on my side or on my belly.
Now when I wake up (8 months post-op), I'm laying on my back!!!! Go figure...

But, yes, it make take a little while. Although it may be more comfortable for you since you did sleep on one while you were pregnant. It just seemed that everytime it moved, I had to use my abdominal muscles, which weren't quite up to that challenge yet lol

Phoebe
Unread 04-21-2003, 11:12 AM

Hi Deb,

I too have a waterbed and have been wondering how long it'll be post-op before I can return to it. I have a daybed in a spare room in the basement and am going to have some "big strong friends" switch it with the couch in my living room. I can't imagine being scrunched on the couch for 3-4 weeks, or manuvuering the basement stairs right away. Know I'll be anxious to get back to the waterbed ASAP though, as it's soooooo comfortable.

Mary Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 11:19 AM
(((((Deb)))))

I found for the first week or so that it was difficult to manage our waterbed. A recliner was really the way to go for a bit.
But I found that if I scooted close to the side of the bed,and by using the siderails of the bed and pulling myself (arms only here!)that I was able to roll over, then push up with my arms again and get into a seated position. Then I could stand by pushing up with my arms to stand.
I hope that makes some sense.....you can kind of practice this in the hospital.
When I had my gallbladder surgery the nurses showed me how to get up using my arms....put you head of the bed up completely, lower the part for your legs completely, scoot to the side and holding the siderails swing your legs over. Always make sure if you get dizzy to wait until it passes before standing.
The first couple of times out of bed the nurses will help you, and you can ask them to show you the best way to get up that won't be too ouchie!
This in itself will give you an idea if you will be able to manage your waterbed at home right away or not.
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!
s
Janet
Unread 04-21-2003, 11:57 AM
I have a waterbed....

and I am heartbroken to think I won't see it for a few weeks! I love it!

I plan to sleep on the couch, simply because it's centrally located in the house and I won't keep my DH awake if I'm restless at night due to sleeping during the day. I sleep on the couch now due to the severe pain from endo. I can't sleep well and I have to reposition all night long, so I found it easier to sleep on the couch.

To make it softer for my back I've put two sleeping bags down, then a bottom sheet, then a top sheet, a blanket and a comforter (twin size). It work great.

Rita
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:09 PM

Thank you, everyone, for such quick responses here....I know I will be anxious to get back into that bed !!

Deb
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:11 PM

I too have a waterbed. I am 9 weeks post op but had complications and had to have surgery again 2 weeks after
TAH due to tearing a stomach muscle and blood vessel coughing.
We bought a queen size airmattress and put it on top of our waterbed it is great gives you a bit more heigth to make it easier to get in and out of also plus the comfort of our own room.
I think I might be able to tackle the waterbed in about another week!
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:41 PM

Hi, I have a waterbed. It was wonderful to crawl into it as soon as I got home from the hospital. The first day I had a bit of trouble getting out of it until I figured out just how to push and move. After that it was great.
Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 04-21-2003, 01:25 PM

I was worried about the waterbed. It was great!! I spent the first night home in DD room on her rather firm matress--not fun! The next night I spent in the waterbed. Just moved slow and it felt SOOO good--warm and soft. I moved carefully to a hands and knees position to get out of the bed which worked well for me. I did spend the first week or so I was home napping in DD room. I didn't want to get "stuck" in the waterbed when no one was around.
Unread 04-21-2003, 01:47 PM

I thought that I would have trouble with my waterbed after my TAH because it was hard enough after giving birth. Not so! I had no trouble getting in and out myself. I am a lifetime exerciser and imagine having strong arms and thighs helped.
It was so comfortable and suppported my stomach when I lay on my side. I hope you will be able to use yours too!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register