Scared Newbie | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared Newbie Scared Newbie

Unread 04-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Scared Newbie

My TAH/BSO (for nearly constant, painful, heavy period - also have painful ovarian cyst) is scheduled for May 7, 2003. I was scheduled for July 2 and was moved up after my last Dr. visit. Should I be concerned about the rapid acceleration of the date or just feel lucky? Is is possible there's something he's not telling me? Ultra sound revealed golf ball size ovarian cyst and enlarged uterus. I understand the cyst but what causes an enlarged uterus? I was so stunned about the date I didn't ask any questions. Should I contact the Dr. or will they know anything at pre-op appt? Thanks to all of you for posting info, this was so sudden I needed all of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Scared Newbie

Feel lucky that your date was moved up! If you have concerns I would call the office first thing in the morning and just ask. It will make you feel so much better if you do.

My enlarged uterus is due to adenomyosis. I am sure there are many reasons why it could be enlarged. Ask the nurse when you call. Might be a good idea to make a list.
A big to you
Unread 04-21-2003, 08:40 PM
I know how you feel

Hi Mrs. C!

Welcome to Hystersisters! I was so very grateful to have found this site when I did, (a couple of months pre-op). It helped me get through so very much, and still does. My story? I was "diagnosed" with an enlarged uterus last fall. My doctor suspected adenomyosis, or fibroids, even more so after doing a lap in October. We tried several different medications that didn't work, (uterus actually got larger), before we decided to do a hyst. I was a little nervous before surgery, but anxious to get rid of the horrible pain I'd been experiencing for so long. I'm 4 weeks post-op now, and feel better than I have in a long time. Yes, I'm still a little sore from surgery, but I haven't experienced any of the sharp, excruciating pain I was feeling before. Path report was unremarkable; however, I did have several large adhesions that were wrapped around my uterus, causing it to "suffocate" and swell, which is where the pain was coming from. Now it's all gone just like that!

I hope this offers some comfort and hope for you.
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Scared Newbie

Hi

If it were me I'd talk to the in person and discuss my concerns. No sense worrying if you don't have to.

There are a number of things that can cause an enlarged uterus. Adenomyosis would be a good guess but can only be confirmed by pathology. I think an US would have shown fibroids if they were there.

Your surgery date may just have been moved up because there was a cancellation. But again, if it were me, I'd be anxious to get that ovarian cyst out of there. Probably the TAH part is so that it won't spill its contents and the sooner you get it out the less chance it will do that by itself. Lucky you to have the surgery moved up!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register