Need Tactful response to Painful Statement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Tactful response to Painful Statement Need Tactful response to Painful Statement

Unread 09-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Need Tactful response to Painful Statement

I had my TAH on 8/17/10 and I am searching for a way to address a statement that keeps coming my way. When I talk with some of my friends they have said "Well, it is not like you wanted more kids"I don't think they realize that those statements are hurtful. They have no idea that my bf and I were thinking about it even though we are both in a our early 40's. What can I say that lets them know they were thoughtless and hurtful, without being "witchy"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Re: Need Tactful response to Painful Statement

1. Just be honest and tell them that you would have loved more kids ant they should not assume things like that.

2. Dump her drink and say, Its not like you wanted to gain the weight anyway.

3.Cry and sob very loudly untill they feel ashamed.

4.Let them know that most women would be hurt by this statement and that it is a very unthoughtful and hurtful thing to assume.

5.Just plain tell them that it makes an *** out of them to assume.

6. tell them , they must not know you as well as they though to say that.
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM

I have to admit number 2 would be fun especially on a white dress. I so needed the smile it put on my face. Right now I am so emotional all I can do is walk away, but I am making a few calls tomorrow to some "friends"who have been left looking rather baffled with a gentle chastisment that they were wrong in their assumptions and to think twice before they make that comment to other. I just need to get the hurt out of my head for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:41 PM

I have people who assume that we didn't want more because we only have one. So not the case...I'd have a whole housefull if I could. Prayers for you.
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:52 AM

I'd opt for "actually, we did, and its a painful subject right now", or "I wish that were true" or "I'm sure you mean well by that". Or "you never know what other people are thinking, really". The list above is good, too. It partly depends on whether you want to end the discussion or not. I hope you find an answer that suits your situation.
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:15 AM

I understand exactly what you mean. I have a son so people have said similar things to me as well. I REALLY hate it when mother's of multiple children tell me I am so lucky to only have one, I usually respond with "it wasn't by choice". I don't know why people don't think before they speak, but I'm sure in their mind they are saying something comforting. I hope you find the right words that make you feel better without losing any friendships. Hugs to you.
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Depending on my mood, I either ignore them, or just spill way more information than they ever wanted to begin with. That usually stops them in their tracks. Although, I must say, I really love the dumping the drink idea!!!!

People will stop with their questions when I say, "Let's see - an ectopic pregnancy that involved near death for me, a miscarriage, a daughter that died during birth, a son that was stillborn, and a failed adoption before ending up adopting successfully from Russia, would you like to tell my why I am lucky to only have one?" Or, if they are asking why we only have one, I can just put a different spin on that same explanation and say "do you really think I only wanted one?"

People are always going to be insensitive, but over time, I've come to realize that most of them don't mean to and a select few do mean to. Just be armed with responses and it will be easier in the long run.

Hugs to you!!!
Unread 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM

I'm 29 and just had TAH. I don't have any kids. I've been amazed at how many people who make it their business to tell me how adoption is the best thing in the world as soon as they find out I was having or have had a hysterectomy. Not that I wouldn't consider adoption or embrace it but I'm not ready to think about it- I'm still dealing with just with the pain. Anyways- it's such a personal thing that becomes a wide open issue even if you share you had the surgery. Here's to healing all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register