Low back pain anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low back pain anyone? Low back pain anyone?

Unread 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Low back pain anyone?

I had a TVH on Thursday. My pelvic pain and cramping is now gone completely but I have horrible low back pain. I've been using my heating pad and taking Advil around the clock and I take Vicodin before bed at night and the back pain is not budging. The only thing that helps it is those Thermacare heat wraps but they are getting expensive.

Is this even related to the surgery itself or am I hurting b/c I've just been sitting around and my back is stiff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Re: Low back pain anyone?

It is probably because of the way you are holding yourself to protect your stomach & from sitting around. It could also be from the way you were positioned during the surgery. My back was very sore & even my hip from sitting around. Just know that as you recover from the surgery & are able to move around more it will go away. It doesn't help with the pain now but it helps me to stay positive knowing that one day you will be better. & It is very normal. Best wishes to you.
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Had terrible lower back pain as well. My sympathies!!!!! Does your husband do backrubs??? That helped me a bit - even the temporary reprieve was something.

I hung out in a recliner chair with an electric heating pad on my back and took those pain meds 'round the clock, exactly on time.

I'm at 12 days post-op now and doing much, much better. For me at least, as Seabutterfly said, it was probably from the way I was holding myself to compensate for abdominal pain and also the general immobility. I'd been on my back for almost 3 days prior to surgery (and that is not a position I'm comfortable in for very long anyway). Still can't sleep on my side yet - but the recliner chair helps me shift position a little to take some pressure off.

It helped me to move around a little - but not too much! If I walk around the backyard "too much" even now (and that is a hard definition to figure out until later in the evening, it seems), I pay for it in back pain.

I've also found that the least bit of constipation or slowed-down digestion just adds to the pain in that whole general area. One more reason to avoid that at all costs!!!

I'm ordering an abdominal binder. Really wish I'd had it sooner. I think the support is going to help with the back pain too.

It does get better ... hold onto that thought!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Low back pain anyone?

YES! Horrible back pain especially with standing. I am nine weeks post op now and It doesn't seem to be getting better. Revisited Dr and he has no idea....he assumes its something I had before surgery. Not helpful....and no I didn't have it before. So, I know what you are going through. As you, I Been taking a lot of advil. ...be careful advil can be bad on your stomach if taken too often. Have food in your stomach when u do take them. I also been using heating bad and a back rest on my chair at work. Seems to help a bit. ......i hope it gets better for you.
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:35 AM

I do to! I use a heating pad and it GREATLY helps , I have decided that it has to be from A.) Sitting constantly B.) Not bending very much to work those muscles and C.) Us hunching forward as we walk and move to protect our tummies and just because it feels better...
Unread 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Hi I had terrible back pain so bad I felt like sobbing- hot water bottles really helped and pain meds and resting. I had TVH - I think it was all the trauma of surgery and and laying on the op table and then laying on our backs and how we hold our selves for a while after, the muscles are traumatised!
It does get better xxxxxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register