would like to talk to folks w/anxiety issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

would like to talk to folks w/anxiety issues would like to talk to folks w/anxiety issues

Unread 11-27-2006, 08:17 AM
would like to talk to folks w/anxiety issues

I am one week out. I was able to take a half hour walk yesterday. I went to go for a second walk but I had just pooped and that tends to make me sore. I will definetly take another walk again today.

I looked reasonably good when I left the hospital but I feel I look paler now. I also have much too much time on my hands to think about me, the worse thing a perosn who is overly anxious can have. It seems that the anxiety, the inner focus on my being, is really putting me in a state. Yet there is not much else to do, alone, at home. I do read and watch the TV although I never was a tele person before.

I feel a bit nauseous, weepy and crawling inside my own skin. Believe it or not it would be easier to just have a headache, something defined, not this crappy uneasy feeling. I have some anti anxiety meds and wonder if they might take the edge off, that is what they are for.

I am pretty much off pain killers, maybe once a day and ibuprophen but with heartburn, nausea, maybe will try to limit that. I have to call dr office today for followup appt, maybe i shoudl ask themn about this anxiety stuff? How are you dealing with it? It certainly can be more painful in some ways than the incision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 08:23 AM

Here's what I'm doing with too much free time to become a bit too contemplative. I am posting here, and on various other online hysterectomy groups, telling them of my
successful, ongoing recovery, and offering what I hope is love and hope and reassurance to women who are as scared as I was, and wanting to know all they can before they decide on surgery or book a surgical date.
You're feeling vulnerable. I think that's normal! We've been through tough stuff, physically AND emotionally.
Sure, ask your doctor if what you're feeling is normal.
It is good to get his reassurance. Also begin to set your focus OUT of yourself, by ministering to others. Online is the perfect outlet for this.
Treat yourself like the Princess you are. Watch movies.
Call friends you haven't spoken with in awhile. Shop for your Christas gifts online. Write notes to the people you love. Open a window and let some fresh air in.
You'll be fine, honey.
Unread 11-27-2006, 08:32 AM

sbcvulcan...try to find something you like to occupy your time hon. I'm 4 weeks tomorrw, and today is my first day on my own, I had my neice over for 3 weeks during the week days, picking up the slack. Now I gotta occupy my time so my anxiety doesn't kick in and make me think something's wrong. I tend to do that to myself. It almost happened to me 3 weeks ago, I recognized it and tried to shake it off, and it worked. I also started to look paler after I came home, but my mom and DH made more out of it than necessary. It's the surgery-recovery thing, and lack of sunshine this time of year, I told them. They thought I was turning a wee bit yellow! So I called my dr. just to be on the safe side. My advice to you is try to stay positive, and keep walking, even if it's just up and down in front of the house. The fresh air will help you...it helps me too. I'm taking anti-depressants and things seem to be going well for me as long as I think positive thoughts...the power of the mind is incredible. All the best to you in your recovery, sister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2006, 09:19 AM

I have had to take Xanex to help me with the anxiety once in a while, and it really helped.
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:31 AM

I'm at two weeks post-op today, and something that helps me now and many times in the past is a lil' bottle of "Rescue Remedy" by Bach. You can google and find it. Just four drops orally every so often (you couldn't OD on it if you tried - it's made from flower essences), and it just gives you that 'ahhh' feeling. I've even put it on a dog biscuit and given it to our MooseDog who's scared of thunder! Works like a charm.

Take care
Unread 11-27-2006, 10:00 AM

sbcvulcan.....I went through EXACTLY what you are describing...I live alone and after the first week...friends and family left... I could NOT believe the emotional pain I was experiencing, crying like a baby.....regreting my surgery.....I did not think I would ever feel ok again......I did this almost every day from the second week until the 5th.....at times I felt so alone and as though I let my body down by having this surgery.....even though I had two opinions and they both said I should have the surgery......I still wish I did not do it.....Well, at least I did get some meds Clonazepam and I have tried really hard to stay busy.....this surgery is MAJOR and I over did it "like most" in the begining and when my body would not allow any more I just lost it emotionally.....thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown....the day before my 20 year class reunion I lost control of my car and went off the road, did not involve any one and I did not get hurt, i can drive my car but it's not pretty any more, that scared me so much, I did not go to the reunion.....I stayed in bed from that Friday until Monday with a deep depression...went back into therapy and have been doing a little better every day now...tomorrow i go in for my 6 week post op.....I am very scared about this check up......worried it will put me back down in that whirlwind again just having them "touch me" again....pretty sure I have an infection again too because of the "smell" and pain......I have had many complications....this is the hardest thing to get through!!! At least we have each other ~ all these wonderful Sisters here to help us through.....BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!! I wish I could find the right words to help you feel better instead of just share my own experience....but I am still struggling too....I hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM

Your posts are helpful. I am in absolute acceptance that this surgery needed to be doen and I did get in a 30 min and 20 min walk today. I took one of your advice and tried to keep a little busier, I called a friend and my boss. My stomach has settled a bit.

I know this will be a journey of ups and downs. It is harder for me being predisposed to anxiety anyways. I would call that my little glitch!

I have been staying at my parents due to having two nutty dogs at home and a DH who works long hours. My parents think I might want to be here a third week. I am contemplating it but I do feel a bit isolated. I will go home this weekend and see how it goes, and then decide.

I love your suggestions and sharing stories and look foward top reading them. Thanks
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:07 PM

I had anxiety issues after my hyst due to a complication that will require a second surgery. As much as I tried, I could not deep breathe my way to peace. I am now taking Lexapro and it seems to help. I am also walking daily and trying to be around other people. The isolation of recovery gave me too much time to focus on me. Feel better soon!
Unread 11-27-2006, 07:58 PM

First of all, I am so glad you posted. I know and hate the panicky, want to crawl out of my skin, would someone please slow my heartrate down feelings anxiety brings. It's like you have the urge to fight or flee, but there's nothing around to fight or flee!

I would definately talk to your doc at your post-op appointment. If he or she doesn't get it, see if you can chat with your family doc or whoever prescribed the anti-anxiety medicine for you. I'll just bet that one of these docs will OK you taking the anti-anxiety meds or some other meds to control the break-through anxiety attacks. We tend to take good care of our bodies after surgery but forget sometimes that our brains are wondering what the heck happened!

I applaud you getting out for walks - depression and anxiety hate fresh air and exercise - just promise you won't overdo it.

I encourage you to talk to your friends and family as well - but be selective: talk to those who you believe will understand you and not just tell you to take up knitting to pass the time and calm down. Most people mean well, but some just don't understand how overwhelming the experience can be.

You can talk to me any time too. I have been treated (successfully) for depression most of my adult life. I've had anxiety attacks too, but usually for brief periods of intense stress. This stuff carries no stigma for me.

Please let us know how you are coming along. I'll be thinking of you.

Barb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register