What is a vaginal cuff? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a vaginal cuff? What is a vaginal cuff?

Unread 05-17-2005, 07:23 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

And where is it? What does it do?! :confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 07:26 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Don't feel bad...I don't know either lol. Hey, maybe we have one of those, too! We didn't know that our dr's took our cervix out so maybe this is another thing we didn't know lol.
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:32 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

It is the top of the vagina that is sewn shut kind of like the cuff of a sock. I know, weird analogy, but that is how the doc described it to me. Hope this helps.

Snickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2005, 07:40 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Cajunbabe....I'm pretty sure we DO have one!!! If they took our cervix, we have to have one, I think.
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:44 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

PrincessHeather and CajunBabe,
Congratulations! No cervix? Well, you have a vaginal cuff then! You only get one or the other. As Snickers said, it's at the very top of the vagina, and it's where your cervix is removed. One sister told me it was like a small shelf of soft tissue, and doc reiterated that when I asked him, so I guess that's what it is!
Vanessa
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Hi,

If you have your cervix removed (no matter which kind of surgery), you have a vaginal cuff. As Snickers said, the surgeon takes the end of the vagina where the cervix was located and puts a line of sutures in it to sew it shut, then sews the ligaments which were attached to the uterus across the top of the cuff for support.

Imagine a paper towel cardboard tube or the sleeve on a shirt. If you pinch the end together and sew it, it forms a blind pouch. The end that is sewn shut is what is known as the vaginal cuff, and the vagina forms a "dead-end" tube.

Its purpose is to seal up the opening into the pelvic cavity, preventing your internal organs from falling out, and to keep things from the outside from getting in.

This is also why the long restriction on sexual activity and other activity as well. If these sutures rip or don't heal properly, well, you can just imagine what could happen.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:53 AM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Its ok I had no clue what a vaginal cuff was as well.But that was until a lady told me on here the other day she said its like a paper bag which is folded at the top and that made sense to me lol.As I had my cervix removed and had no idea I had one(vaginal cuff)

Dawnie uk
Unread 05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

You ladies are GREAT!!! That explains it very well for me! I am learning sooo much everyday about what has happened to me! You'd think I would have known all of this going in, but I never knew how much there was to know about it!!
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:26 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

Ok, dumb question. Does anyone know how may stitches are used for Vaginal cuff?
Unread 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
What is a vaginal cuff?

You have got me thinking now.Now I know I have got one would like to know how many stitches are there.Not a dumb question interesting.Think we should know seeing as we have one.lol

Dawnie uk

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register