Pre-Op Blues??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Blues??? Pre-Op Blues???

Unread 01-23-2003, 08:33 PM
Pre-Op Blues???

I was doing pretty good with all of this until Monday... when I hit my 3-week pre-op point. All of a sudden it's finally sinking in that this is happening!

Intellectually, I know I'm doing the right thing, but part of me is second guessing the decision. I know that I'm going to go through with it - it's just the fear talking. But all of a sudden I'm anxious, irritable, sad, I'm having trouble sleeping and I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears.

My last period is due soon too, so I'm thinking that maybe it's an extra special PMS in honor of it being the last one!

Is anybody else whose preparing to go to the castle feeling like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Pre-Op Blues???

Hey I understand all too well. I go on the 6th of Feb and now I am gettin scared. I have tried to talk myself out of this but I know that this could be a way to get free from all the endo pain. And I really don't pain to me my firend anymore. I come here to ground myself and that helps alot.
Unread 01-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Yes!

I am feeling very frightened. My TAH is scheduled for Feb. 4 and for about a week now (about three weeks before my scheduled date) I have been feeling dread. Intellectually I know this is the right thing and that I will feel better when it's all done, but emotionally I can't help thinking that something is going to go wrong. I usually am a positive thinker, but I am very frightened right now.
I'll add you to my prayers and hope that you get good adivce because it will help me too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 11:11 PM
not alone

You are feeling absolutely normal!!! It's funny, only a week or so ago I posted a thread.... my feelings mirrored yours exactly!!!
I am now 1 week away from my castle trip and am still scared to death. I too have tried to logically talk myself out of all this... I know it won't go away and will just get worse, but... I keep trying to think of reasons NOT to do this.
As for the last period.. I actually felt very sad, even though it was one of the worst ones I've had in quite a few months (ended up spending the better part of 3-4 days in bed on pain meds).
So hang in there sisters... we are all here for you, feeling what you feel.
Best of luck to all of you.... waiting seems to be the hardest part!!
Great big cyber-hug to you all.......

Sherry
Unread 01-24-2003, 05:13 AM
Pre-Op Blues???

(((Patricia))),

I felt exactly the same way before my surgery! I was thinking that maybe I didn't really need it and was just imagining that 10cm ovarian cyst!

The reality does seem to hit you harder as you approach your castle date. Just hang in there and know that we will all be here waiting & praying for your successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Unread 01-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Pre-op blues...

I'm sorry to hear you are all going thru the blues prior to your surgery. I feel kinda' guilty....I was actually looking forward to my trip to the castle. I was anxiuos, but in a good way. And just a little nervous the morning I left...my ride was running late...and she showed up w/ donuts and cappachinos...ARGHH!!! All I can say is, you'll make it thru and GOOD LUCK!!! i'll be thinking of all of you future princesses, just wish I could take away some of your blues....keep me posted, I'm sure you'll be giving a BIG SIGH after it's all over....Pam
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Pre-Op Blues???

Boy do I understand how you are feeling.

My trip to the castle is next Thursday.....and this morning....as I was watching Good Morning America.....I cried when they announced the winner of the "Best Football Fan in America" contest. After I sat there and blubbered like a baby......I actually started laughing. I don't even understand what is going on with all of these emotions. I think I'm ready for the looney bin.

Night before last....2 hours of sleep. Almost drove me crazy. Last night I took the advice of some of the ladies in the chat room and took a very warm bath and went straight to bed in complete darkness and silence..... I usually go to sleep with the TV on.....but not last night......I just layed there and prayed that God would give me peaceful sleep......and after about 30 minutes.....I was OUT....and I didn't wake up until 5:00am this morning. Whew....what a relief. I've been having a terrible time with the insomnia.

According to what I've read here on the boards.....we're all normal...whatever that is???? But....I do know exactly how you feel and it's not fun. We just have to keep thinking about the OTHER SIDE.....and how much better we'll be afterwards. The support here is fantastic and it's really helped me a lot over the past couple of weeks. I come here several times a day....you might say that I'm obsessed....but I've found that it is truly a place of sisterhood and all of the other ladies here REALLY understand how we feel.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there and LOOK to the OTHER SIDE.

We're going to be princesses soon.
Unread 01-24-2003, 07:46 AM
Pre-Op Blues???

Hi Patricia,
You're definitely not alone in feeling this way . I've been that way also in the last couple of weeks. I 'm scheduled for a TAH/BSO on Feb.11. At this point my family is walking on eggshells. I go from from crying to smiling to grumpy to catatonic!Poor things don't know who they'll find when they come through the door! I think maybe when we have our pre-op appt. we'll feel a little more at ease,I sure hope so. This site has been a real blessing, when I feel anxious I find that reading the other princesses and liw's stories helps a lot. Take care and I'LL keep you in my ers.
Unread 01-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Preop blues

My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 13th and I have also had a lot of conflicting feelings. I want so much to not have all of the problems, yet my daughter asked me for a baby brother just this past weekend. It all really hit me then. On the other hand I have spoken to so many women who say that this surgery changed their lives, so I am concentrating on that. I will be thinking of you on the 10th.
Unread 01-24-2003, 09:27 AM
Know exactly how you feel

My TAH/BSO is in 4 weeks. I already had it postponed once and so had some time of relief, but now I notice I am always on the verge of tears.

I also have one more period to go and don't look forward to it at all. I have a different period every other month. One month is heavy bleeding and then days of spotting with out too much trouble considering, but the other month, (which is the one coming) I get terrible PMS and then cramps that start up to a week before it starts, terrible back pains and heavy bleeding/clotting. I was really wishing this would have already been over with.

I do understand though that my hormones are all a mess anyway, but now with the fibroids I have, I cramp all month and then to get hit with triple the pain. I guess I am glad I will be getting it over with, but I am terrified.

Let's face it, most of us can't stand a paper cut and now we're going in to be cut open and have things taken out. Of course it's scary. Am I rambling? I am sorry. I guess I am in the same boat your in. I must say though at least with this site I know I'm not alone in my feelings.

Stay strong and know many of us are in a panic just as you are.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register