Post-Op Pain Management Not Enough! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Pain Management Not Enough! Post-Op Pain Management Not Enough!

Unread 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Post-Op Pain Management Not Enough!

Wow! I can't believe how much pain I'm in! I am 4 days post-op with a TAH, with a vertical incision. I understand my uterus was extremely large, making the surgery long and difficult, but I never imagined such pain. This morning during a nap I coughed and didn't put pressure on the incision first and am now experiencing a serious burning pain to one side of the incision. The pain medication I'm on is Voltaren SR 75, which from what I read is great for arthritis. Not quite sure why everyone in my ward in this hospital in Barbados received the same thing, regardless of doctor, but I have to believe there's something better out there! What do doctors in the US typically prescribe? I know it will, but please tell me this will get better! I'm even resisting the urge to urinate when I have to just because I don't want to move!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I don't know what Voltaren is or how effective its supposed to be. I was on a morphine pump which I could self-medicate myself by pushing a button every 10 min for the 1st 2 days. Afterwards, I was put on percocet every 4 hrs and given a prescription for them to go home with. I used them for the 1st 5 days and weened myself off when the pain was at a tolerable level.

It will bet better.
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM

Oh (((((FISH))))... bless your heart, I know exactly what you mean! I didn't expect the pain to be as bad either, luckily in the US they do prescribe stronger pain killers, please call your DR. to see if he could give you "oxycodone" which is generic for percocet, maybe even Vicodin (hydrocodone generic) or Lortabs. Please explain to him you are in pain and the"arthritis meds" are not doing the trick, I mean sweetie, you had major surgery not just aching joints. I hope the best for you and Please let me know if you made that call!!!! God Bless!
Kandi
1/24 endo, fibroids, heavy bleeding etc
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:39 PM

Hi!
I had the morphine pump as well. When I got home I had percocet and advil.
Have you called your Dr.?
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:47 PM

Dear Suffering in Barbados,

I just got home yesterday with Vicodin and Motrin. They gave me Vicodin after taking me off the morphine pump in the hospital and it is working well - 2 500mg tablets every 6 hours
Unread 01-30-2006, 01:14 PM

i was not able to use the morpine pump due to te fact it made me EXTREAMLY ill in the past,so during the hospital,i was givin toradol injections every 6 ours and got something else(cant remember the name,im still foggy headed),however on saturday they also started giving me vicodin by mouth,and that is what i came home with...when the pain meds wear off,im in terrible pain,but as long as i dont forget,or dont let the time drag on before each time i take it,im ok..please call your doc and get something else..your body cant heal right if you are tensed up from pain all the time....((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0sonie
Unread 01-30-2006, 03:31 PM

Hi flyingfish

I'm so sorry you're feeling so much pain . The Voltaren is great for inflammation but not much for pain management in my experience. In reading posts from sisters all over the world, it seems that most are sent home with a narcotic prescription of some sort, plus an anti-inflammatory, plus directions to use OTC in conjuntion with the other drugs.

you should call your doctor to explain how much pain you're feeling and what will he give you for relief. Yes, it will get better but it will take longer if you're hurting. My GYN/ONC told me I couldn't get moving if my pain wasn't under control and moving was part of the healing process. BTW I found waiting to pee made my discomfort worse!

I hope you get relief soon.

Big Gentle s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register