What to pack for the hospital ???? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to pack for the hospital ???? What to pack for the hospital ????

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
What to pack for the hospital ????

Better NOT to sit and worry about what can go wrong and think positive. Read as much as you can here about everyone's recovery and all the stages. They are pretty much accurate as far as recovery stages.

And ask questions from your doctor. Had I found this site PRIOR to surgery, there would have been MANY more questions I would have known to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Taken & used

So glad I made a list from the advice of the ladies on this site. Apart from the things on the above lists that personally fit your needs, these are the ABSOLUTE NECESSITIES: Peppermint tea (yuk, but a Godsend), lip balm, throat lozenges, sweets for the hospital staff, electronic sudoku, face cleanser wipes/eyecream/moist'r, nice smelling body butter (DH rubbed my back and arms with it & it lifted my spirits). Unlike many, I did read my book and magazines and was glad that I took them.

Belle, the hosp will supply pads for your stay and even give you a few to go home with IF you need them. I only used liners for a few days after I got home and was surprised by how little bleeding I had overall.
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Belle-

In the hospital, they had a pad 'under me' when I woke up. I think I kept one in my panties while there. I also had one across my incision as it was weeping, I took a couple of those pads home and used them 2 more days. After I got home, I only used panty liners and that was until the end of my 3rd week. I didn't really need them after a coule of days but after reading about spotting as stitches dissolve, I swore I would never ruin another pair of panty's.

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery. I would expect your pad needs will be provided by your hospital based on your circumstances.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 11:56 AM

I didnt know about the peppermint tea... Will I have gas if im having a abdominal incision?
Unread 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble
I didnt know about the peppermint tea... Will I have gas if im having a abdominal incision?
Gas? most likely YES. I had a TAH and had HORRIBLE gas pains, to the point where I threw up twice two days post op. Don't want to scare you...sorry!

Another thing I took was my MP3 player. I didn't have one, used the castle visit as an excuse to get one. There were a couple nights I couldn't relax, get to sleep. Listening to MY music helped alot.

Best wishes!
Unread 06-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Reading this has actually made my list shorter. I have a tendencey to overpack for everthing just because I might want it. I think I will take my own pads since I'm afraid of those big thick scarey ones! They remind me of being a teenager and first starting my cycle.
Unread 06-28-2007, 01:25 PM

sherrie - noone mentioned your own pillow i don't think. I actually took 2 - my foam one and a down one.. it was so nice to have my own.....
also, took linen spray. I know, kinda weird, but i like the smells of home.
a little mirror with my make-up so i could at least check that i wasn't scarey for all my visitors. hehe
Best thing: some kinda bag to tie to your bed to hold essentials u might want, as that little bedtray gets smaller and smaller.

LOVED taking my ipod, as focus post-op is minimal and it was relaxing and it allowed me to drowned out hospital sounds and get some sleep!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 06-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Hello!
Take what makes you feel comfortable. I was awake & alert the next morning & able to shower & wash & dry my hair. My husband brought me the newspaper & I read the whole thing because I was so bored! Light reading or a magazine would have been nice.
I took a little zipper bag of stuff I wanted to keep by my bed & put hand lotion, chapstick, Olay face wipes, hair brush, Listerine breath spray & face moisturizer, glasses & cell phone in it.
I also took & used a short terry robe & new cotton Victoria Secret nightshirt & slippers. I walked all over that hospital floor because of a gassy belly! They wouldn't let me go home until I passed gas. I was on a mission!
I did take a couple of pairs of loose undies that came up to my waist--I didn't like anything touching my incision & that includes panties that might catch the staples on their way up & down while going to the potty.
I just had some really really light spotting & used one of my thin pads the next 2 days--just in case. My incision was clean & dry when they took the bandage off the next morning so it did not mess up my nightshirt---but I took a black one & a hot pink one just in case.
If you're a high maintence girl now, you'll want all the things that make you happy after the surgery. I'm a newlywed & didn't want to scare my new husband! So I even took a little bit of my Bare Esscentuals make up--foundation & blush so I didn't look so washed out. Its super easy & fool proof to apply.
Also, think about something comfortable to wear home. I got some new PJ's with a LOOSE elastic waist band since I didn't want my white legs sticking out of my robe parading through the hospital lobby! But the knee length nightshirts were perfect for wearing in the hospital, modest but not a tangled mess.
Good luck!
Unread 06-28-2007, 01:54 PM

I highly recommend some sweats or capri pants. I brought pajama capri pants and was so happy I did. I came home w/ a cathater and hadn't planned on that! So they worked great for hiding the urine bag!
Unread 06-28-2007, 03:54 PM

I am going to give you a list of what I used not what I took with me. Yes ... they are different.

I wore light weight lose comfy sweat pants and a t-shirt to the hospital. It was also my coming home outfit so no need to pack a change of clothes.

Toothpaste & Toothbrush

Facial Washing Clothes (you know the ones where all you have to do is wet and use)

I brought and bought granny pannies but I had a LAVH and they irritated me. Lowcut bikinis or hipsters were better. Went below my incisions.

Water bottles -- can't stand the tap water here. Even the hospital gave out water bottles but their ice was made from the tap. YUCK!

Hard Candy

Tummy pillow and body pillow

Pen and a book of puzzles. After 2 days I wanted something other than the tv. I also had magazines but that seemed boring too.

iPod -- I listened to it when I was alone

Pads -- regular old thin ultra maxis. The hospital even asked if I had some. I didn't bring them with me at first and had to send dh home to get me some. The hospital had a few but doesn't routinely supply them. HUH??

Cell Phone

Dh -- I needed him with me to chase down the nurses for meds, to remember things I was told, take me to the bathroom, moral support, etc....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register