doctor's words felt like a sledgehammer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

doctor's words felt like a sledgehammer doctor's words felt like a sledgehammer

Unread 01-28-2015, 03:20 PM
doctor's words felt like a sledgehammer

I"m 49 years old. On the day I "graduated" from doing radiation therapy (very luckly didn't have chemo) my gyn says he is concerned about simple hyperplasia of the uterious. He had been treating it successfully for the past 5 years with a progeserone pill that made me bleed properly every month, but since my breast cancer was estrogen and progesterone positive the oncolgoist won't "let" him do it . I"ve known him 21 years and Iknow he cares, but he came down like a sledgehammer saying I should do this in the next 5 weeks but that after I got off the phone with him he didn't know if I would start bleeding and the only thing he could do was a D and C. He raised his voice at me, and I plan to get a third opinion before going through with a hysterectomy. He said that he wants to keep ovaries because they have some protective benefits and take the uterous and cervix. Well, that phone call was last night and then I did get cramps that seemed worse than normal but managable and today at work I've had no cramps and slighly heavy bleedingbut again managable. Maybe my question is how do I manage him? I just don't think he spoke respectively to me when he said "I thought I explained how serious this is to you already" but if he did he never used the word seriuos and in fact when my son answered the phone he told my teen son "It's nothing to worry about" meaning benign and not cancerous but I thought docs aren't even supposed to talk to your family members about your private business. The medical onclgist things she can gibve me ovary supporesosing drug and avoid the hysterectomy but than I 'm going against what the gyn says to do and keep the ovaries in tact. Help me think straight ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Re: doctor's words felt like a sledgehammer

In your case I would recommend getting another opinion. Maybe see a GYN oncologist. Just because you have had a relationship for 21 years with your current doctor doesn't mean they know everything. You just went through a lot with breast cancer if you can give yourself a break don't jump into another major surgery. If your current oncologist can offer you other options you might want to try them first.

Good luck.
Unread 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM

Bef-99 thank you I find comfort in your sound advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2015, 06:12 AM

: Sweetie,
IF only for better peace of mind, the third opinon seems the route to go. May I ask who gave the second opinion and what is was? Sorry the doctor seemed so abrupt,etc.with you and can understand why you may feel hurt and angry.
Your doctor said you have simple hyperplasia but in your introductory post you also noted he feared it could turn to cancer. Simple hyperplasia, the most common type, has a very small risk of becoming cancerous. It may go away on its own or after treatment with hormone therapy. Simple atypical hyperplasia turns into cancer in about 8% of cases if it is not treated. Another risk factor for endometrial cancer, however, is breast cancer: Specifically, the ACS site notes that "women who have had breast cancer or ovarian cancer may have an increased risk of developing endometrial cancer. Some of the dietary, hormonal, and reproductive risk factors for breast and ovarian cancer also increase endometrial cancer risk." You can find this info and more re hyperplasia and endometrial cancer on the American Cancer Society site here http://www.cancer.org/cancer/endomet...r-risk-factors
As you gather further information, talk with your doctor(s) more, etc; it may be easier to make these difficult decisions. Pls do not hesitate to ask more questions here. We also had a Cancer Concerns forum and pls feel welcome to post there if you want. Do keep us updated and good luck.
Unread 01-29-2015, 07:27 AM

Hi PeggieSue,

How kind of you to share your support and knowledge with me. I will check out the link and look for the other thread you mentioned about cancer. Thanks for understanding most of all my feelings, it is nice to be validated.

Blessings,

Gretchy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register