Scheduled LAVH What generally happens at pre-op appointments? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What generally happens at pre-op appointments? What generally happens at pre-op appointments?

Unread 01-15-2016, 05:25 PM
What generally happens at pre-op appointments?

I really have no idea what to expect. Since I am under 21, they're not even sure at this point if I need a pap. Is it a lengthy appointment? Can you tell me some of the things that were done at yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM
Re: What generally happens at pre-op appointments?

At mine they did a saline ultrasound. I hadn't ever had one previously so they want to have an idea before surgery. Then they had blood drawn and gave me paperwork to sign and went over the procedures and what to expect.
Unread 01-16-2016, 02:01 AM

Hi, I had to blood drawn, a Ultra sound, and my heart check. When you are at the doctor office. Ask all the question you can. If you forget write them down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2016, 06:26 AM

My preop was with the surgeon, just a quick exam and a detailed discussion about the surgery. I also had a phone call with the hospital, where they asked all kinds of questions, and gave me all my instructions. All preop testing (blood work etc) was done at the hospital when I was being prepped for surgery.
Unread 01-16-2016, 08:46 AM

I had blood tests, urine test, chest x ray and an ekg. All very simple and painless. Total time about an hour and a half. Don't worry!
Unread 01-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Hi, Kie!

My pre-op was with my surgeon's RN. She took my vitals, listened to my lungs and heart. She went over the necessary (for me) bowel prep instructions, and what would happen the day of my surgery, from checking in to post-op. She went over my post-op restrictions, and we scheduled my 3 and 6 week follow up appointments rights then. She did not do a pelvic or ultrasound, as I had both 4 weeks prior. She ordered a series of blood work, including a complete hormone panel. This is important to have (she said) in case I lost my ovaries, as well as to check their function after (I ended up losing one). They compare the levels and if they don't match, it is easier to know where my levels should be for me and to help with the correct dosage of HRT and stuff.

My husband went with me, and we both had questions, and she answered every single one. She spent about 20 minutes with us, and I left feeling so much calmer and with a full understanding of how things were going to work (which for Type A me, was such a relief!)

Sending you peace of mind and clarity as you face your surgery.
Unread 01-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Hi! I just had my pre-op appointment on yesterday. I saw the nurse first, and she gave me my consent form, bowel prep instructions, and post op information. Then she took me into my Dr.'s office. There the Dr. explained the procedure (I'm having a total hysterectomy and salpingectomy via Davinci),she answered all my questions, and addressed my concerns. She also went ahead and gave me my prescriptions for my pain meds after my surgery. From there I went to the hospital and they got me pre-registered, and drew about 5 vials of blood. It was easy easy, I was in and out of both places a total of 1 hour.

Good luck with your pre-op appointment and surgery!

Amanda
Unread 01-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Pre-op for me was easy peasy. It was two parts:
1). dr office: blood pressure, internal ultrasound (my last was 11 months and she wanted more recent), met with Dr who patiently answered my list of questions. Hystersisters has a great article with ideas for questions to ask.
2). Go to hospital and pre-register with insurance card, etc. Then met with an RN to fill out or turn in my pre-anesthesia checklist, review allergies, meds I take and then had several vials of blood drawn for pre-surgery labs to make sure all my blood counts were safe for surgery.
The pre-surgery anxiety and nervousness is very normal for most of us. I was in the "holding" room which is the very last place they take you before surgery and I told my husband as I looked at the clock which I swear was moving backwards... "They better hurry up and do this before I run out of here buck naked and screaming!!" Everything will be fine, and we will all be here on the other side waiting for you with support!
Unread 01-16-2016, 05:41 PM

Mine was a couple days ago and it was pretty easy. I pre-registered first, paid my copay. Then, I met with an RN who told me what to expect on my surgery day - Before and after. I signed paperwork, then bloodwork and i was done. It took about an hour.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register