Confused about side effects of surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confused about side effects of surgery Confused about side effects of surgery

Unread 09-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Confused about side effects of surgery

Hi everyone, I am due for a TAH & bladder lift on 10/10/02. I have been doing research on the web and looking at all of the side effects of having a hysterectomy that I keep changing my mind on a daily basis.

Also, after viewing this site and reading what a lot of the women go through before surgery. I am wondering whether I really need to have this done.

I had a tubal ligation in 98 and had extremely heavy, long periods since then. I was put on Progesterone in 99, had a uterine ablation in 01/02 and am now going for the last resort.

I have found web sites that list loads of side effects and rate them as high as 50 - 60%. eg. loss of sexual function, incontinence, depression etc. It was enough to turn anyone off.

However, I have been doing word of mouth surveys and most women seem to say that it was the best thing that happened to them.

My mother said that it is because I am a NUrse that I am too obsessed with the side effects.

Would anyone please be able to reply and let me know whether I will be doing the right thing and if I have given it enough chance to try other avenues.

Thank you for a great site.

Lea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2002, 02:45 AM
Side effects et al.

Hi Lea2 - I think I could have written that post a year ago myself (although I'm not a nurse ) there is a particularly distressing site on hyster alternatives that lists some pretty dramatic stats on side effects - in fact it's enough to turn anyone off the hyster option. The problem is that woman who have had problems are far more likely to become involved in such surveys which skews the results dramatically. From word of mouth alone it's obvious to me that there are many women out there who've had one and don't regret it at all - in fact I haven't had one person in RL who's had a bad experience and even the woman I know who's had further surgery for severe adhesions said that this was a walk in the park compared with what she was putting up with beforehand.

One side effect that I was worried about was sexual dysfunction and mood swings but when I reflect on my life in the last year I can count on one hand the amount of times I've had sex with dh this year (we spent a week in Monaco and I bled the entire time... ) and my mood swings have never been worse - one minute I'm up - the next I'm either a nervous or angry wreck that no-one wants to be around.

Of course you're the only person who can make the final decision but it sounds as though you've already been down the conservative route and it hasn't worked. In making your decision you need to weigh up exactly how your condition is hindering your health and lifestyle and compare that with what effects the side effects (that you may not experience anyway) will have on your life. You said that you worried that you didn't need it in comparison to other's symptoms - I put off seeking medical treatment until I was seriously ill because I felt exactly the same way - every time I told someone I had heavy periods they'd tell me theirs were worse etc.. and that I had nothing to worry about so I honestly thought it was normal!

You have to really put into perspective what your symptoms are doing to your long term health and then decide one way or the other. In my situation the symptoms outweigh the risks so I'm opting for the hyster - if there was an alternative appropriate to my case I'd be doing that.

Check out the forum called The Road Less Travelled here:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=7

regards
Xaviera

PS: Just wanted to add that I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other - only you can make the decision. Good luck and keep in touch!
Unread 09-22-2002, 06:05 AM
confused

Thank you so much Xaviera. THat was great advice. you have made me feel so much better. I think even being on the site and talking to others is helping. After going to the site you talked about on Friday night, I had decided against it by Saturday. I am now starting to come around again just by hearing what a difference it has made in people's lives.

it will be good to keep in touch leading up to our surgery.

Hugs

Lea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 04:07 AM
Glad to have helped

I'm glad you're feeling better about it

Another side effect I was worried about was bladder function and I have to say that in the last few days I've noticed that either my fibroid is leaking or I'm losing bladder control - I also have a ridge over the top of my stomach that is actually my bowel - I'll be just happy to have my organs not squashed by my rapidly growing fibroids

I'm having a LAVH three weeks from today and I really can't wait. Today I had to have an iron injection with a different doctor and she was quizzing me on why I'd choose hyster at my age - I conservatively told her about my bleeding and it took all of 2 minutes for her to agree that I was doing the right thing....

Good luck for the 10th!
regards
Xaviera

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register