LAVH Feeling unsure 8 days post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling unsure 8 days post hysterectomy Feeling unsure 8 days post hysterectomy

Unread 07-19-2016, 02:32 AM
Feeling unsure 8 days post hysterectomy

hi, I am 8 days post op. my surgery was going to take 1hour 15min and could of been an incision but was going to try for keyhole. I ended up in theatre for just under 3 hours (I had large fibroids)but he did do a lot of repair and keyhole which is better for my recovery(apparently). I have been feeling better as each days pass but I'm so unsure of how much to do without hurting myself. you have so many people saying don't lift the kettle as that is even too heavy. I have taken note of all of this and make sure that my family only leave enough water in the kettle for 1 or two cups so its not too heavy. my bleeding is very little but if I walk around for a while and potter around the house I do feel a trickle and sit and rest. I am not lifting, pushing or pulling and hope I'm not damaging the work that has been done. I have great family support but I am by myself a large part of the day.
I believe it would take a lot to do damage but even sneezing worries me. I suppose I will just keep resting and walking, I'm sure I will heal just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2016, 03:46 AM
Re: Feeling unsure

Didn't your dr give you instructions on what you can/can't do? I had a lifting limit of 10 pounds for 2 weeks and then it was changed to 30. She wanted me up and walking a lot, I couldn't bathe/swim or have sex. I was allowed to drive at one week. If you don't have instructions from your dr, you should call and ask.
Unread 07-19-2016, 07:25 AM
Re: Feeling unsure 8 days post hysterectomy

Welcome to the Other Side!!

Each day/week will get better as you complete the resting-icing-tons of water and slow walking tranisition. It is like the stepping stones towards your next phase.

The key to ‘ after surgery ‘ conditioning is communication with your patient and the team. Prior to my surgery, I’d asked tons of questions plus my doc even said that I could be out 4 to 6 weeks for recovery depending on how my body reacts. Within that timeframe, the body is going through a whole bevy of repairs/re-connecting. Because of this, the doctor or even the hospital (upon release) would have mentioned/notated your restrictions.

Regardless, I would call your doctor’s office to ask especially to give you peace of mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2016, 07:38 AM

I was visited by my dr after the op and he said we took everything but 1 ovary so i presume they took my cervix as well.
He said no lifting pushing pulling. Gets lots of rest and walk and to see him at 8 weeks.
I understand to take things slowly and build up i suppose im just freaking out im going to hurt myself.
Unread 07-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Take a deep breath sister. Your body is a mystery wonderland which is designed to take on those small walks when you have tiny bursts of energy. It will also let you know to slow down and rest by feeling tired or fatigued or if you start to feel slight zingers.

You are 8 days post-op so take it slow.
Unread 07-19-2016, 08:49 AM

I was visited by my dr after the op and he said we took everything but 1 ovary so i presume they took my cervix as well.
He said no lifting pushing pulling. Gets lots of rest and walk and to see him at 8 weeks.
I understand to take things slowly and build up i suppose im just freaking out im going to hurt myself.
Unread 07-19-2016, 09:20 AM

Ask your dr, they will know what's best for you and the type of surgery you had. I was told nothing more than 10 pds. She used a reference, nothing more than a gallon of milk and if it hurts, don't do it. I can lift a kettle for tea, but the cast iron pan is too heavy. Not thinking, I tried to open a window and quickly realized it takes too much straining to lift, so I asked someone to open it for me.
Unread 07-19-2016, 01:01 PM

Mandy. You're fine lifting a tea kettle - unless you have a kettle the size of a contractor-sized paint bucket . Not all doctors are super specific on the restrictions, though they really need to be. We're not helpless, yet need to be mindful. Lifting restrictions, no high-low reaching (like going for that pot in the bottom of your kitchen cabinets), pushing a shopping cart or vacuum cleaner, even sweeping for a while. But those do give way as we heal. Here are some of my favorite links which echo what I learned in a prep class I took before I had my surgery - they were helpful in filling in details.
Video: Weeks 1-2
Video: Weeks 3-4
Video: Weeks 5-6
What 350,000 Women Know...
downloadable guide - indispensable!
Hope you find these helpful. Rest well!
Unread 07-22-2016, 12:08 AM

hi
thankyou everyone for your kind words and reassurance. I am feeling better day by day and am getting plenty of rest.
I am not a sit down person so finding it a little boring but catching up on some chic flicks while my hubby and boys are at work.
my walking is a lot better and I walk around the house and yard regularly during the day.
hope you are all doing and feeling well, thanks once again x

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register