Exremely Swollen!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exremely Swollen!!! Exremely Swollen!!!

Unread 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Exremely Swollen!!!

Hi ladies. I had my surgery this past tuesday. I am extremely swollen. Feels like my skin is stretched to the limit. Most of the swelling is on right side and back. I weighed myself yesterday and I have gained 19lbs from tues to saturday. Called my doc, they don't seem to be worried about it. He thinks maybe my body is traumatized due to having two abdominal surgeries so close together (gallbladder in june). I trust his opinion he is a great doc. I just wanted to gett some feedback from my sisters and see if any of you have experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Re: Exremely Swollen!!!

Just wieghed again. Now I've gained 21lbs. Has this happened to anyone else?
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Hi,
Swelling is a normal part of the healing process.

The daVinci surgery puts the head lower than the feet for however long the surgery is. I was 6 hours in that position and had extreme swelling. It looked like the doctor dropped me on the floor a couple times.

The swelling is common in the early stages of healing. My swelling lasted for months and would surprise me even on days when I didn't really feel that I had over-exerted.

Pick comfortable clothes and relax. Give your body time to adjust and heal. I read on the forum that it could be up to a year before I felt totally normal again, so I went slow and accepted that it might be awhile. I am now 10 months post-op. I am just now really starting to feel "normal" again for me.

Best of luck with your healing journey. Listen to your body and take as much time as you need to complete each step of the journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM

If you gained that much weight in just a few days, you may need to get a second opinion. I am not a professional by any means but you may be carrying a lot of extra fluids which will put strain on your organs. I really don't think gaining 20 lbs in less than a week is normal. I hope that you can find some relief soon.
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:08 PM

Be sure to consult your doc if this continues. I went up 10 pounds the first week, and I also felt like my skin wouldn't stretch any more. I had to even give up undies for a bit cuz the larger ones I bought wouldn't fit. Be sure to drink lots of water and walk around the house every hour.

Here's an article I found helpful: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_163685.htm.

It's been almost 5 weeks post op for me, and I still get swelly belly mid - end of the day. I am finally down a few pounds below my start weight. I measured my waist and hips, and they are still more than starting. Guess it takes a while for the swelling to go away.
Unread 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM

I gained 13# from my surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago. I've finally managed to flush out the extra fluid by drinking lots of water and working up a good sweat on the treadmill. I'm down to my starting weight, but even my fat pants don't fit, and it's not even close. :-(

If you're up 21 and drinking your water and doing your walking (and watch your sodium intake for now!) ... I would call your doctor. There might be something he can give you to help.
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM

paxton88! I too had big time weight gain after my DvH (and I was quite "fluffy" to start with ). I think I was up 16 pounds. What the other ladies said is true- drink, drink, drink (as long as you've not been told to avoid that) water. Definately stay away from extra sodium on foods, but maybe slip in a bit of Gatorade each day. When you start peeing you will pee like crazy. I weighed myself each am before eating or drinking anything to keep track. I then "lost" 7lbs in 24 hrs & it was the start of the "losing". Also- have you moved your bowels yet? Did you have a bowel prep? If you did not have a prep (I didn't) you likely have lots of stool in there too that is adding to the swelling (by putting pressure on delicate, irritated tissues). Do weigh each day in the am, watch what you are eating, & make sure you are peeing (I "thankfully" had my catheter for a week, so at least I wasn't up every 5 mins to pee). Also, make sure you , when sitting try to get your feet elevated. I know the swelling is sooo frustrating . Keep an eye on things and let us know how you're doing. If you are still concerned give your surgeon a call or even you gp if you feel that s/he would be more "understanding". and to you.
Unread 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Like 8mths pregnant

Hi ladies, I had surgery last tuesday and I am still very swollen. I literally look like I am 8mths pregnant. Even my hoohoo is swollen. Dr's office said not worry, but didn't see me. I've never had a big stomach, so this is really beginning to freak me out. I wake up every morning hoping its gone. I get depressed when I realize it's not. Has anyone else had this much swelling? Thanks in advance
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Re: Like 8mths pregnant

Yes! I did too my mom told me I looked preggers.. Is week 2 for me and it has gOne down a lot. Hang in there! Hugs
Unread 08-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Re: Like 8mths pregnant

You have everyone's favorite: the swelly belly! Unfortunately, I'm at week 5 post-op and it's gone down only ever so slightly. But everyone is different. Maybe yours will go down faster. You will probably find that it gets bigger as the day goes on, or your activity increases. If you search the phrase "swelly belly" on this site, you'll see how others are dealing with it. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register