Help PLEASE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Help PLEASE

Last week I had my 3rd endometrial biopsy. Today I had what I believe is a uterine sonogram or something (she used a catheter and water and a balloon thing) in order to expand it and look with the ultra sound better.
Said there was one spot, but could be because I have the last of my period still here.

Other than that 2 years ago I had a hysteroscopy (?) or laproscopic surgery and they found only small cysts (1 of which was on an ovary) and nothing of consequence.

This has been going on for the better part of about 8 years.

I usually wait about 2 years to go back and say somebody fix me.

Now, I am really tired. I feel really pathetic. They tell me nothing is really wrong and offer a hysterectomy. But I am not sure that is the wisest thing to do.

My periods are really heavy to me. But reading some of these posts mine are really normal. I have LOTS of clots, some really huge and this occurs roughly every other period. Sometimes the periods are so heavy I have bled through tampons and pads and onto the car seat! On average I am a two or three tampons (at once) 1 pad about 4-6 times a day person! for about 4 days.
I cramp pretty miserably sometimes but not always.

But someone please explain in english why intercourse can be SOOOOO incredibly painful at times. So bad its like a hammer and leaves me reeling.
How can this be if there is really nothing wrong.

Today the gyn said we could do the hysterectomy and leave my cervix and the ovaries thus saving me from being on hormones the rest of my life.

Every doctor I've seen has said this "could" be the reason. but not a single one has said this is your problem and this is how to fix it.
Do they really know so little?
Am I such a whiny pants?
What should a normal period be?
Is intercourse supposed to be painful every few months?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Help PLEASE

Hey there, s

No, you're not a whineypants!

No, intercourse shouldn't be painful!

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's not easy going through that, at all.

Some of your symptoms sound like adenomyosis - have any of your docs discussed this?

Other than that, there's literally a myriad of reasons why you're having problems with dysfunctional bleeding and pain on intercourse - as long as you've had all the biopsies and they're negative, you can at least have a little relief in that aspect.

If you need to, take as second, third or even fourth opinion from a GOOD gyne surgeon. Talk, talk talk to these professionals...ask your questions, and don't stop until YOU are completely satisfied.

Then, be free to make your decision.

Many blessings and good wishes, whichever way you decide to go,

Tess
Unread 04-02-2003, 10:49 PM
Help PLEASE

Virginia,

I agree with Tess in that some of your symptoms do sound like Adenomyosis. Of course, I'm no physician. Basically I agree with everything that she said. I'm not sure that I have much else to offer, except a and to let you know that you are not alone. Please take some time to research your symptoms (as I'm sure that you have already done, just read all that you can, never know what you might find !), learn what you can about the diagnoses that you have been given, and maybe consider seeking another opinion as well. It's entirely possible that things have changed since your last laparoscopy.

It's such a shame that we suffer with these things, seek medical attention, only to leave feeling like we are whining. Girl, you are NOT a whiney pants at all ! This pain, these feelings are REAL ! And all of this intrudes on so many areas of our lives ! This is a wonderful support forum, as I'm sure that you know. I hope that some of the replies in your thread give you some much needed hope and peace !

Best wishes to you, I hope that soon you find answers !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Adenomyosis is a definite possibility here

And it is notoriously difficult to diagnose...even a biopsy can miss it. It is endometriosis which has infiltrated the uterine wall, and can go undiagnosed until a hysterectomy. I had all the symptoms of it, but nothing showed up on any of the tests (my surgery was for a huge ovarian cyst suspected to be cancer). It wasn't until the microscopic exam of my uterus post-hyst that it was diagnosed.

An MRI can sometimes define adeno, but it can occur on a cellular level. And even the most vehemently anti-hyst voices agree that adenomyosis is cause for a hyst. Are you continuing to track your blood counts? Anemia can certainly cause the fatigue you describe!

If in fact you are dealing with adeno, you might wish to reconsider keeping your cervix. If you also keep ovaries, some of the adeno tissue can be in the cervix itself, leading to "mini-periods" under the influence of your own hormones. OTOH, it's probably still better than this flooding you experience!

If you are having this sort of pain with sex, too, it may be a sign that adeno has infiltrated the cervix. Often, though, it is due to sensitivity of the uterus itself. I remember well that exquisite and excruciating pain in certain positions...and I can tell you, those days are GONE for us.

Ask your doctor if adeno is a possibility, and know that, if that's what it is, only the hyst can diagnose as well as treat it. Do get a second opinion and consider asking about other imaging techniques in an attempt to make a firm diagnosis. But don't be horribly surprised if that diagnosis can't be made with total certainty.

Let us know what happens, OK?

Audrey
Unread 04-03-2003, 10:51 AM
update & thank you

I spent the better part of yesterday reading online here and at the recommended websites.

Based on the responses from this post and what I read, I called and left a message for the Doc, and am awaiting a return call.

It certainly appears that "adeno" is a possibility.

What read indicated that adeno may possibly be diagnosed through an MRI. Apparently laproscopy doesn't pick it up and ultrasound doesn't work either (which I have scheduled for tomorrow).

Something isn't right down there! but feeling and having definite proof are two different things. I need proof if possible before doing a hysterectomy.

Thank you all for your help and reassurance. I really appreciate it.

God bless.
Unread 04-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Help PLEASE

I just want to add my here. You said that you were experiencing flooding. I was also experiencing flooding although not the degree that you described. I recently went to my Intenal Medicine for an unrelated problem and when he was rechecking my blood pressure, he told me that my heart rate was about 90 and thought I should be checked for anemia. He ordered a CBC and a ferritin level. Turns out my hemoglobin is low normal so technically I am not anemic but my ferritin level was 8, normal is 29-322. Long story short, my iron stores are very low and I am now taking a daily iron supplement so that I don't become anemic. I have to do this for 3 months and then have my ferritin level rechecked to make sure that this is working. My whole point in sharing my experience is you might want to have your doctor check your ferritin as well as your hemoglobin, whether you decide to have a hyst or not. Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register