Were you scared? (12/18) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Were you scared? (12/18) Were you scared? (12/18)

Unread 12-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Re: Were you scared?

oh good! maybe they tell you to expect the worst on the swelling so when its not bad you're relieved! feel better already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Were you scared? (12/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin24 View Post
I'm so scared. I googled "hysterectomy recovery" and it terrified me. It had to go into detail all of the things that could happen including death. blood clots and injury to other organs. Part of me now says, well heck I would rather live with the pain than risk my life.
I'm a nervous type anyway and feel like when the time comes I'm going to be a crying mess-I'm just so scared
My surgery is 12/18 and it's abdominal.
Hi I had my hysterectomy on Nov 29th. I was also scared but I'm so glad that I had it done. Right now I'm recovering and I'm taking it easy. I know that it seems scary all of the things that "could" happen but the chances are so slim. You can't read about those things. Think about all the positive things that will come from having your surgery. Positive thoughts only from now until your surgery! Good luck and you'll do great!
Estelle
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Were you scared? (12/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin24 View Post
I'm so scared. I googled "hysterectomy recovery" and it terrified me. It had to go into detail all of the things that could happen including death. blood clots and injury to other organs. Part of me now says, well heck I would rather live with the pain than risk my life.
I'm a nervous type anyway and feel like when the time comes I'm going to be a crying mess-I'm just so scared
My surgery is 12/18 and it's abdominal.
My surgery is also the 18th and yes, I'm becoming nervously terrified! My pre op is Wednesday the 5th and I am considering asking my doctor for something. I'm not one for pills and my husband will think I am week, but I can't imagine what I will be like if my fears get worse!! I am already having trouble sleeping and even though I fall asleep very fast, I awake in the middle of the night and my thoughts keep me awake. I just want this over. I am very good with nerves in the moment.....it's just the time before that is gonna drive me crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM

im in 2 days (dec 5th) and very scared

ive had surgeries before ... my c-section (where you know you're getting an amazing reward at the end)... and emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

the 2nd surgery they did a breathing tube and i dont remember even having a sore throat from it. that said - im still so scared of being put under. thats the scariest part for me. not the recovery or the incisions... just being "out of control" for however long the surgery takes and not "knowing" that im still ok if that makes sense.

*hug* the waiting is excruiciating because all we do is think and worry.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty-blue View Post
im in 2 days (dec 5th) and very scared

ive had surgeries before ... my c-section (where you know you're getting an amazing reward at the end)... and emergency surgery for an ectopic pregnancy.

the 2nd surgery they did a breathing tube and i dont remember even having a sore throat from it. that said - im still so scared of being put under. thats the scariest part for me. not the recovery or the incisions... just being "out of control" for however long the surgery takes and not "knowing" that im still ok if that makes sense.

*hug* the waiting is excruiciating because all we do is think and worry.
Makes total sense to me! I had 3 c-sec, and I do think it is a control thing, ( I'm a control freak)
How long have you been waiting for? I've know about needing surgery since Nov 2.
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Were you scared? (12/18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Oven View Post
Makes total sense to me! I had 3 c-sec, and I do think it is a control thing, ( I'm a control freak)
How long have you been waiting for? I've know about needing surgery since Nov 2.
Well my dr.told me in may 2010 that i needed the hyst. That said, i didnt schedule it until last month. My date was set on Nov 6. Its been a LONG MONTH of waiting/worrying/stressing.
Unread 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM

I was scared - but only because I read the post op section of this site! I am convinced that people who have a rough ride are more likely to spend the time to post after their procedure! All the side effects seemed like a horror story check list! I am on the other side (5th day post op) and I have not had any of the scary stuff. It was fine. I am in no pain - it is controlled by advil. I can pee and poo etc.

Relax, you will get through this.
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM

You know the saying "ignorance is bliss"? Well that was me... I wasn't aware of this site until after my surgery ( really do appreciate all of the good articles & discussions) so the most info I had was my pre op appt with dr and hospital about 3 weeks prior to surgery. I kept myself busy at work and at home knowing that I had made the right decision to have the hysterectomy (due to fibroids). I also knew that the dr had performed many hysters so I knew I was in "good hands"

I was prepped for DvH but I ended up with a TAH due to the size of my fibroid. While not what I expected, it was what the dr had to do and it turned out fine. I spent 2 nights in the castle and had great care from nurses.

2 weeks post op and am following both dr orders and hyster sister advice...rest, rest, rest! It's "me time" and I'm taking every minute of it :-)

Best wishes to all awaiting surgery and well wishes to those recovering!
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM

my date is 12/11 I am terrified.
Unread 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Yes, I was scared of so many things!
Then I just kept thinking how better it would be not to be bleeding almost all the time!
Hang in there!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register