So Close..last min Questions! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So Close..last min Questions! So Close..last min Questions!

Unread 10-15-2002, 07:05 AM
So Close..last min Questions!

One week from tomorrow I become a ! Oddly, I am not a nut case yet, which kind of worries me. I am tho, cleaning like a nut, so maybe that is keeping me too busy. I have a feeling it is going to hit me all at one on the morning of surg...as I run screaming down the hall in my backless gown, trying to escape!

Anyway...I have some questions about proper Princess attire:

I realize that many women actually lose weight, or have smaller tummies, due to the large uterus/fibroids being gone. But I don't think that is going to be the case with me. (I am having TAH, with poss BSO) So for those who do NOT get smaller after the surg, what size drawstring/elastic pants or jammie bottoms did you get, compared to your previous size? Or is the drawstring enough to accommodate the swelly belly?

And with the undies...I keep hearing how wonderful the lite support ones are. I also read about girdles, bike shorts etc. It seems that something that kind of binds or gives support really helps alot, from what I read here. Again, to give some support, do you get reg size, or go up a size or two? Or would that not give enought support? Also, what types/brands have worked the best?

And last...how long after surg is it ok (or comfortable) to wear those?

Thanks so much ladies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2002, 07:53 AM

Hi Gret---
I bought my drawstring jammie bottoms at Target in my regular size. The drawstring gave enough extra room for my swelly belly.

I tried two different kinds of underwear --- the first were full-sized stretchy (with the band that goes all the way up to the waist)---but they were uncomfortable around my swollen tummy. So I switched to low cut string bikini which were much more comfortable for me. I did not have TAH, however, I had LAVH with very small incisions, so this might not work with a bikini line incision.

Best of luck to you on your surgery. Before you know it, it will be behind you and you will be the Pampered Princess!

's and Blessings,
Unread 10-15-2002, 07:59 AM

Hi, I'm glad that you're staying calm, you'll be fine I bet. I was nervous until the morning of and then was calm (or reasonably so). I bought cotton undies 2 sizes bigger for the first few weeks after my hyst , I had a tah/bso. I wore those for several weeks, until my incision stopped hurting so much. I'm 11 weeks post op now & I've tried several kinds of support undies , they all help but my favorite is Hanes Her Way soft & seamless light control. I got them at-where else- Wal Mart for $ 7. I still don't like the way the panty girdle feels so I don't use it yet. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Jeanus

Just the lady I need to talk to. I'll be venturing out today for a good support panty--which my doctor gave the ok for. Do the Hanes come in all cotton?

So glad to see your post. Had visions of being overwhelmed in the panty dept. at Wal-Mart!
Unread 10-15-2002, 09:54 AM

I had a tah/bso with a vertical incision. For the first 3-4 days I roamed the house in a short nightgown. I had Jockey briefs 2 sizes larger than what I normally wear which have worked out well. They come a couple of inches above that all-sensitive incision.

I have Reebok athletic pants that have a drawstring & some spandex which have been great after the first week. (Initially, I could not take 2 items with elastic waist at the same time - underwear & pants.) Now, I have no trouble wearing both, but am not quite comfortable in regular casual elastic waist pants. I have Dockers that I plan to wear in a couple of weeks. I think they will be okay then.

As far as the support panties or girdle, I have not gotten those. I can imagine that it would be helpful if you're going for walks or shopping, though.

Only one week to go! Yay!! We'll be watching for you on the other side!

All the best to you,

Mongie
Unread 10-15-2002, 02:08 PM

That is the one thing that I haven't bought yet. I'm having a TAH with possible BSO too, they are going with my vertical insicion from my c-sections. I'm afraid that stuff will catch on my stitches. I have the loose and soft jammies though, I figured that I'd be best going with tops and bottoms so that they don't have to hike my gown all the way up or unbutton my top all the way down for them to look at my incision. No need to show them more than neccessary, huh? I got a pair of long pants (jammies) and a pair of shorties, just incase I'm either too warm or too cold. We'll see, I guess. I just hope I don't forget anything.........
Unread 10-15-2002, 03:27 PM
panties

Have you thought about men's boxers. I wore my DH for the first 2 weeks post op. I could not go anywhere so I figured why dress. I would wear boxers and a big shirt.
Good luck with surgery. Enjoy being pampered!
scteacher

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register