Got a question re recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got a question re recovery Got a question re recovery

Unread 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Got a question re recovery

I know everyone is different as far as recovery, but has anyone out there been back at work and "normal" in less than two weeks. My dear hubby is not insensitive, just a little uninformed and I don't think he really understands what this will be like for me. I have had numerous "female" procedures in the past and was always pretty much back on my feet in about a week. Same with my gall bladder removal so he thinks I'm off a week and back in the office the next. From what I have read, it truly sounds like I'm down and out for a while. I'm scheduled for daLSH with urethral sling and possible bladder sling and anterior repair (decision will be made in the OR). Surgery scheduled for 2/25/10. I believe if he sees someone elses experience, he will be more apt to "get it"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Re: Got a question re recovery

I could NOT imagine being back at work or normal in less than 2 weeks.
I had a LSH (just uterus removed) and am a little over 2 weeks post op. This recovery is very different than my other surgeries. I have had 2 laparoscopic ovarian cyst removals, and was doing great one week later after each procedure. This is very different.
I am still experiencing sensitive/sharp pains in my pelvic region...I believe where my uterus used to be. I am also having bladder pains. Also, even though I have 4 small incisions, I am reminded every day still that they cut through the muscle. But, I should say that I am improving each day. I have been not taking any pain meds during the day, but by night time I NEED to take my narcotics still. I am allergic to ibuprofen, so not sure if that would be something that is strong enough or not.
It just took me this weekend to be actually up and moving about continuously...without having to HAVE to lay down with ice and pain meds.
Yes everyone is different. I thought I would be one of those that was moving and cruising right away...NOPE!
It definately is a major surgery. Don't feel discouraged if it takes a while to heal...baby steps....you will see small improvements each day.
Good luck to you.
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:26 PM

I had a TVH, BSO, AP repair and TOT bladder sling on 01/12/10 and my doctors (had both a gyn and urologist) will not allow me (especially the urologist) to go back to work before 6 weeks. My gyn doctor said they do let people go back at a month if they absolutely have to and depending on their job, but prefer the 6 weeks. Yes, all surgeries are a little different as are recoveries, but I am not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds and am not even doing that yet. I felt like a new woman the day after surgery and the first two weeks I rested a lot and felt great. The last 3-4 days have been a little tougher, and I ended up going back to my urologist for some medication for the pressure I was feeling when trying to urinate. It has helped a lot. I'm not trying to scare you in any way, but your husband needs to realize you aren't going to bounce right back from this and will have restrictions. I couldn't even drive the first week. I have been told I have hundreds of stitches on the inside, and I do not want to take any chances of having adhesions by doing things I'm not supposed to do. My husband has been a huge help, but I know he'll be glad when I can do all those things I normally do. I've had two D&C's, uterine ablation and exploratory laparotomy (not to mention quite a few other surgeries), and this does not compare. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2010, 09:41 PM

I had a TVH with rectocele repairs on 1-29-10 and will be going back to work this week on Wednesday for 3 hours only, Thursday for about 5 hours and Friday for 6. I teach school, and am on my feet almost all day. However, the timing of my surgery could not have been better. I am doing some conferences only on Wed, and staff inservice on Thurs/Friday. I will be returning to work full time the 16th in my classroom. That is my goal anyway.....but that could all very well change depending on how well my body handles these 3 days.

I say all this to say that I think everyone is totally different and it depends on what type of surgery you have as well. I know that my story is so different to most everyone elses. And I also know that at any moment a complication could come to me. I have just been so very lucky. Other than not getting around as fast as I normally would and lifting things, I am pretty much back to normal and feel great!

I wish you all the luck in the world. Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones like me!!
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:14 PM

It's not uncommon for men to not fully understand, so know that you aren't alone. You husband may find MisterHysterSisters helpful.

Remember to listen to your body and take time to heal. You will only have this one chance. Best wishes!

Deb
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:17 AM

I had a TVH on Jan 19 and would have had a very hard time going back to work after 2 weeks. I am sure some have done it, but I don't think it is a good idea. It has been three weeks for me and I am just starting to think I could handle going back to work in a couple of weeks. I have noticed that when I do something even as "simple" as laundry or cooking, I have more pain and spotting. I am not sure what kind of work you do, but simple movements such as lifting books, stretching to reach something, and simply sitting for hours at a desk are things that we take for granted. I would suspect that if you went back to work after two weeks, you would ultimately end up prolonging your recovery. Better to take 4 weeks off and be able to go back to work without worries and healthy than to go back early and prolong the whole process.
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:51 AM

I had TVH Jan 22, went back to work today (2 wks & 2 days fr surgery). Feel good so far. I feel fine but also had no external stitches, bladder or any other sort of repairs (just vag removal of cervix/uterus). I've returned pretty much to normal activity except just trying to be careful lifting, straining etc. I started back swimming one week out and both Sat and Sun was able to swim my normal workout (1 mile/45 min). Everyone is different though so be careful.
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:07 AM

I had DaVinci LSH on 1/25. I am 2 weeks post op today. I do not think I am ready to go back yet and am not. Although my head is clear and I feel much better on the outside, I am not ready.

I am very sore by days end. I can walk better and lot longer, but after a short while I am walking baby steps and feeling sore. I can do it longer and better everyday but I still get sore after a while and tire fast. Also, my legs get so tired and crampy when I am up on them also. I can maybe do 1/2 hour or so before I am feeling on this inside like I did when I got home, sore and my incision sites sore and my legs sore.

I went out to some stores with DH over the weekend and came home and passed out. I was exhausted and sore for the rest of the night and the next day. I tried to get up the next day (last night) to help him with supper and tired out so fast I was holding my side and baby stepping it back to the couch.

You can do things but it is very minimal. If you push, you pay. It truly is a slower process than I thought and what I was told.
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Wow Jgd...swimming? Good for you! I probably would have died if I tried to swim so soon Glad your recovery is smooth!
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM

I think age and general health has a lot to do with recovery time. I am 2.5 weeks post op and I am almost back to normal, I was reasonably healthy before surgery and I am 28 years old. I still feel pain, but compared to what I was dealing with before surgery, this is nothing. I was warned by my OB though that there are ups and down in recovery, and to expect to feel a little worse around the 3rd and 4th week, and better again come 5th and 6th week. The important thing is to listen to your body and your doctor during recovery. I didn't do anythign for 2 weeks straight, didn't even pour my own milk or coffee (too heavy), and at my 2 week appt I was cleared to start getting back to normal activity and lifting my kids again (they are 20 and 30lbs). I didn't have any repairs like you are having done though, so you will want to talk to your doctor. Mine told me no restrictions after 2 weeks, except nothing in the vagina for a full 6 weeks. Today is my first day alone with both kids for the full day, so we will see how I am feeling tonight. But to answer your question, yes it is possible to be mostly recovered by 2 weeks, but it sounds like it is fairly rare. I made sure I had help lined up for 3 - 4 weeks just in case, and was super pleased to be able to cancel my help for this week. I'm eager to get back to normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register