A swollen belly? for how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A swollen belly? for how long? A swollen belly? for how long?

Unread 06-10-2003, 08:37 AM
A swollen belly? for how long?

I am waiting for my surgery and two of my co -workers have just returned back to work after their hysterectomy. One still has a swollen belly and the other isn't too bad. How long does the belly stays swollen and does it eventually go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 08:44 AM

Hi Belle

Everyone is different with how their bellys swell. Mine is still somewhat swollen and I'm now 2 months post op. I think it has something to do with how much and what kind of surgery your having, but I don't know for sure. I had a pretty complicated surgery.

I'm think that some of the other HS will reply with their situation.

Sending you a big

Patty
Unread 06-10-2003, 09:16 AM

((( Belle ))), Patty is right, whether you get swelly belly or not depends on each person and her surgery. I had a tah/bso and did have one for quite a while. It did decrease fairly fast but would come and go depending my activity. At 10 months , mine has been pretty much gone for awhile now - I fit in my pre op clothes very well now.
Just follow your drs post op orders and I'm sure that you'll do well.
s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2003, 12:04 PM

I am now 2 month post-op and I did have a bit of a swollen belly. I noticed it more when I was a bit more active. My belly is no longer swollen but I had the TVH therefore no external stitches to deal with. The belly never really bothered me too much, I was to caught up in how good I felt after the surgery.
Unread 06-10-2003, 03:50 PM

I'm 5 months post from a TAH and swell at least an inch on a normal day. I swell more than that when it flares up. It was at it's worst weeks 4-8 when I started getting active. If I lift anything, that definately will trigger it, so I try not to lift if I don't have too.
I fit in all of my pre-op clothes and have for the last few months, but sometimes they get tight and I end up changing into my favorite pair of stretch jeans. They handle the swelling well without resorting to sweat pants or elastic waist stuff. Yuck. Really, this past two weeks seem to have been better as far as not having to change out of jeans because they got too tight. Hope is on the horizon for me. It's not going to last forever!
It won't go away overnight though. I heard it can last for a year so I try to laugh about it often to keep my sanity. I'll take the anyday over the female issues that drove me to a hysterectomy in the first place.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register