Insomnia - 21 days post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Insomnia - 21 days post-op Insomnia - 21 days post-op

Unread 11-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Insomnia - 21 days post-op

What is the deal with the insomnia? I had a hysterectomy on 10/10/13 and left both ovaries. I slept fine for the first few days, but then it went downhill and I was up for 3 days straight. I only took motrin in the hospital and have not taken any pain meds since I came home. The GYN said she didn't think it was my hormones and gave me ambien and said to return to my normal routine and go back to work at 2 weeks post-op. The ambien and return to work did not help. I have tried somonex, benadryl and melatonin. Now I sleep about 4 hours every other night. My primary care doctor gave me Lunesta this week. It helped for 2 nights and now I am up. Crazy thing is I am not tired, even after 2 days with no sleep. I feel awesome. . . .but I know my body needs rest to heal. I am frustrated. With all of the questions I asked before my hysterectomy about side effects, insomnia was never discussed.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Re: Insomnia - 21 days post-op

My sleep pattern changed greatly for about the first six months post op. I've always been an early to bed, early to rise type of gal. After surgery I was wide awake in the wee hours of the morning. Kind of freaked my dh out at first as he was use to me being sound asleep when he came to bed. Often I was still up when he went to bed. My sleep patterns did eventually return to normal. Give yourself some time.

Unread 11-01-2013, 05:33 PM

I had the same experience as you have stated. I slept for the first couple of days non-stop but then wide awake after that. I tried Melatonin, Ambien, Ambien CR, calming tea, lavender, relaxation techniques, etc. with no relief. However, it did eventually catch up with me and I was a mess. I was depressed, in pain, and so sleep deprived even though I felt wide awake. I finally went to my GP, and she took me off Ambien CR and Prozac that my GYN has prescribed me and put me on Cymbalta and Flexeril, a muscle relaxer for short term. I am also on HRT since I had a total and it was increased to 0.75 mg. Within two days, I was sleeping through the night, my mood was stabilized, and the pain was minimal. I am not one to like to take medication, but I also do not want to go back to how I felt so out of control of my body. I would suggest working with one of the doctors to figure out what is going to work best for you. You are so right that you cannot continue not sleeping for the welfare of your healing process. Good luck to you in finding that balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2013, 05:38 PM

I had same problem. I took 2 3mg melatonine. It didn't work at first but after about a week I started sleeping better than before.
Unread 11-01-2013, 06:04 PM

I am amazed you could return to work so soon. I had a robotic total hysterectomy on October 9th (one day before you) and I am still having a host of symptoms that do not let me sleep at night. I am taking Ambien and sometimes I sleep throughout the night, but sometimes I don't . Yesterday, I had a bladder sensation like I needed to go to pee the whole night and I only slept three hours. Needles to say, I am exhausted right now writing this e-mail to you My intestines are still acting up and my bladder gives me trouble on and off. I think outside of the sleep issue, you are doing very well compared to me ...I think you probably will get back to normal soon, but I know how frustrating it is to go through this healing process. Best luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register