Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. UPDATED: now 5 days post myomectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. UPDATED: now 5 days post myomectomy Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. UPDATED: now 5 days post myomectomy

Unread 11-24-2014, 03:31 AM
Re: Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. Now Stressed

Aroggen, the fact that you even mention being unsure that hysterectomy is the right decision, and even more, the mention of a baby, screams to cancel this surgery and rethink things with no outside pressure. I will say that if your doctor has suggested removing YOUR cervix just to make the procedure easier on HER screams find another doctor. What a selfish and insensitive and unprofessional thing to say to you. Remember, if you're still having a period, there's always a chance you can get pregnant, even if you only ovulate once a year - it only takes one egg! . But if you have a hysterectomy, obviously you just removed any possibility of pregnancy. It sounds like in your heart that's not what you want to do. Please don't let anyone talk you into anything you don't want to do, especially something as radical as a hysterectomy. I'd have myomectomy after myomectomy before I had a hysterectomy, and I'm done having kids! But that's just me. It's your body and your decision, not your doctors. Who cares what's "easy" for them? It's not about them! Oh, in response to your other question, I have a friend who had so many fibroids that doctors didn't think a fertilized egg would be able to find a spot on her uterus to attach to. She had so many huge fibroids, like grapefruits, she always looks pregnant. They didn't know if there would even be room for a baby. She did get pregnant and carry without any problems. Her son is 10 years old this year! Hang on to your dreams!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM

Hi. Went through the same issue..to keep or not to keep. Decided to keep.The easier recovery and no vaginal cuff swayed me. My doctor wanted to take,whatever my decision. Almost a year later,no periods! Doc,cored,did all she could,according to her. I admit, I was worried about periods,but accepted that I could deal with a little monthly if it happened. ITS a nerve racking decision but read all the posts for and against. All the best to you.If you have questions, I will answer them for you.
Unread 11-24-2014, 09:36 PM

I'm also your age and had a vag hyst, they took the cervix, it was full of cysts and fibroids. But I also had adeno. Do you have evidence of adeno ? I'd ask point blank. Hyst is the only cure for painful adeno. Your doing good asking a lot of questions. I just wanted to be done w all of it and didn't want multiple treatments that might still require future visits, procedures, surgeries. Nearly 3 decades of pain was enough and my Dr told me the day before they'd removed an adeno uterus from a 65 yr old, who wanted to keep watching and waiting and it didn't get better after meno for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM
Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. UPDATED: now 5 days post myomectomy

Thanks DaisyDukes, your anger and fight are well received. To be fair, the way I was talking was a shorthand for the way my doc and I discussed things, but your post absolutely made me step back and craft in my mind what I want and tell my doc that , instead of going along with the hysterectomy then cervix removal, etc. I am quite sure the doc was thinking about me and my future when she suggested removal.

My doc was great and fell right in line when I told her that I want a myomectomy. She's an excellent surgeon and the hospital nurses told me that she is who the nurses choose. When they need things done.

It turns out that I had five fibroids: two grapefruit size and three orange/tangerine size. One radiologist said I had 20 from the MRI film, and my surgeon said that the way they formed could give the radiologist a false impression about number. My surgeon felt and examined my whole uterus and did not find any others, though some could be hiding.

The whole experience of the myomectomy has been pretty great. The nurses were lovely, and I really trusted my doc. I got the procedure on Monday, today is the 5th day of recovery.

I am still swollen but my belly is 2 inches smaller. I am still taking pain relief but less than the first couple of days. I got my period the second day of recovery and I see that it is a huge difference in flow and pain, also no brain fog, which I would always get. I do need sleep for recovery and pain meds, but I feel no fatigue like I have had for years! Let's see how this goes as I recover.

I am walking around like four blocks twice a day. I feel like I measure my recovery in how much lower I get to lay down. (Getting up is the hard and painful part.). Last night I accidentally was really low, but was able to stand up with some creative maneuvering I feel more rested today.

Tricks: when you sleep with several pillows propping you up the first several days, also prop up an equal amount to the side of you so you can roll your head to the side. It sort of felt like I was side sleeping though my whole body was flat with bed.

Put something by the toilet to help you stand up. I had an Italian stand alone oil radiator heater. It is super heavy and a god send for pulling on to stand up. I don't know what would have happened without it. Standing up is the worst motion the first two or three days.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. They helped me refocus and calm down. What an emotional time, no? Looking forward to new recovery every day.
Unread 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Doc suggested removal of cervix, just cuz. UPDATED: now 5 days post myomectomy

Good for you!! Congratulations!!

Happy healing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoggen View Post
Thanks DaisyDukes, your anger and fight are well received. To be fair, the way I was talking was a shorthand for the way my doc and I discussed things, but your post absolutely made me step back and craft in my mind what I want and tell my doc that , instead of going along with the hysterectomy then cervix removal, etc. I am quite sure the doc was thinking about me and my future when she suggested removal.

My doc was great and fell right in line when I told her that I want a myomectomy. She's an excellent surgeon and the hospital nurses told me that she is who the nurses choose. When they need things done.

It turns out that I had five fibroids: two grapefruit size and three orange/tangerine size. One radiologist said I had 20 from the MRI film, and my surgeon said that the way they formed could give the radiologist a false impression about number. My surgeon felt and examined my whole uterus and did not find any others, though some could be hiding.

The whole experience of the myomectomy has been pretty great. The nurses were lovely, and I really trusted my doc. I got the procedure on Monday, today is the 5th day of recovery.

I am still swollen but my belly is 2 inches smaller. I am still taking pain relief but less than the first couple of days. I got my period the second day of recovery and I see that it is a huge difference in flow and pain, also no brain fog, which I would always get. I do need sleep for recovery and pain meds, but I feel no fatigue like I have had for years! Let's see how this goes as I recover.

I am walking around like four blocks twice a day. I feel like I measure my recovery in how much lower I get to lay down. (Getting up is the hard and painful part.). Last night I accidentally was really low, but was able to stand up with some creative maneuvering I feel more rested today.

Tricks: when you sleep with several pillows propping you up the first several days, also prop up an equal amount to the side of you so you can roll your head to the side. It sort of felt like I was side sleeping though my whole body was flat with bed.

Put something by the toilet to help you stand up. I had an Italian stand alone oil radiator heater. It is super heavy and a god send for pulling on to stand up. I don't know what would have happened without it. Standing up is the worst motion the first two or three days.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. They helped me refocus and calm down. What an emotional time, no? Looking forward to new recovery every day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register