Intestinal issues post-everything | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Intestinal issues post-everything Intestinal issues post-everything

Unread 12-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Intestinal issues post-everything

This is kind-of a vent, not so much any questions.

Hey ladies, I have sooooo had it with my intestines!! I expected some issues after radiation. But I believe that they some-what healed within a few months of treatment. I believe this because I downed like 3 boxes of chocolate this time last year! I mean within 4 months of treatments ending I had put back on ALL of the weight I had lost.

Then in January I started having "issues". Turned out that I had an obstruction in my small intestine. We controlled this with diet. Welp, come May my system had had it and completely freaked out. I ended up in the castle for 10 days, 8 days without anything to eat or drink--strictly on IV fluids. I had the "damaged" portion of my small intestine removed.

Ever since then my system has been SCREWED! The doc (and I love my doc, she's awsome, instead of making me have that tube in my nose she put one directly into my stomach--SO much easier) said that my intestines should have healed by now, and that any issues I have could be life-long from radiation scaring.

I CAN'T EAT ANYTHING THOUGH!
Oh wait, I can have chicken, boiled...not fried, not baked, not cooked in sauce. I can have white rice. Bread is ok too. Pretzels...ummmm....yes, that's about it.

No veggies...cooked might be ok sometimes, but just a little, salads are a definate no-no. No fruit (ohhhh no fruit! ) No dairy. No coffee...well I still sneak in my 1 cup in the morning, but even that is weak weak weak. No fiber, no bran (there went my Special K fruit and yogurt--love that stuff). Nothing fried, nothing greasy, nothing with tomatoes. And the kicker....NO CHOCOLATE!!!

I HAVE HAD IT!!!! I am sitting here at work with 5 boxes of Sarris chocolate and 2 fruit baskets in the back office and I can't have ANY of it. All week I've been downing Pepto cause I did cheat and eat 3 whole piece of chocolate (oh how DARE i??) Yesterday I had a mini candy cane and after 4 doses of pepto went for an Immodium. That at least got me through the night. *sigh* I want to eat like a normal person. I've lost 40 pounds in all of this. Which is great because now I'm at a "healthy" weight for my height, but omg I want to EAT without running to the bathroom or getting nauseated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Oh Vega!

What a drag. I can understand how frustrated you must feel. That's a pretty restricted diet, especially no fruit or veg. I live on salad!

Can you eat eggs? I had a bout of food poisoning when I lived in London, which irritated my system for months. Boiled, poached or scrambled (no butter) eggs seemed to sit well in my beleaguered intestines.

You're only seven months out after what sounds like pretty major surgery -- I do wonder if your body is still adjusting to its new configuration. I remember how long everyone said it would take to fully recover from a hyst... I hope things settle down more over time.

I wonder if there's another kind of doctor who might be helpful? Have you seen a dietician or nutritionist or a gastroenterologist?

You'll be in my thoughts over the holidays. No chocolate or treats for me either -- I'm determined to continue the weight loss I started last year (nearly 100 pounds so far).

Dawn
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM

No chocolate? Tell me it ain't so, Vega. I don't blame you one bit for venting. What about yogurt? That's supposed to be good for the digestive tract (and it comes in lots of great flavors.) Hope this soon passes and things get back to normal for you.

Hugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Dear Vega,
I am so sorry you are feeling so lousy. Hey what better place to vent than here! I didn't have radiation but have been having intestinal issues to. Mine turned out to be diverticulosis & poss diverticulitis. Right now the doctors are trying to give your intestines a rest. Try real gard not to cheat because it's like 1 step forward & 2 back. Hugs
Bertha
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:16 PM

Vega, Vega, Vega. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs.

I am so sorry that the road is still so rocky for you. I am a little confused... Do you still have the tube in your stomach or was that during surgery? You have had a lot to heal from in the past year and a half, so hopefully it is just trying to heal right and that it is taking its time. Are you seeing a nutritionist or a naturalpath/herbalist as well as your great doc? The weight loss is nice, but not this way! I hope you are getting enough nutrients with what you are eating now.

Hopefully it will all resolve soon and heal up nice, and you find yourself back to "normal." In the meantime, I hope you can have relaxing holidays and you get to enjoy yourself some. Here's to you! -Terri
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Terri, no I don't have the tube any more. That was removed 4 weeks after the intestinal resection. If I had opted for the "tube in the nose" that would have come out within days. But that thing was AWFUL after just a few minutes I told the nurses to take it out. (different hospital than where I normally go, we were at camp when I got sick) My doc said that she could put a tube directly into my stomach that would serve the same purpose. Of course that had to be done in surgery. Although she popped it right out in her office. lol

I haven't seen a nutritionalist...although that's something I'm going to consider. The doctor told me I can eat whatever I want. My body says otherwise. The doc even seems at a loss for why my body is freaking out like this.

I've been living on Gatorade since May. I've tried Iced Tea, Water, juices, all send me running to the bathroom. I don't know what it is in Gatorade that doesn't. But I'm sick of that now too. And try going out and carrying Gatorade with you. I just UGH i've HAD IT. I want to be NORMAL again! I'd LOVE to have a salad. Cheese steak hoagie. French fries with cheese.... I will go home to my chicken and rice. Again.
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Vega - Sorry to hear you are still having problems. Try bananas, applesauce, rice, toast. That is that BRAT diet that they told me to do when I was on rads and had the bathroom issue. Since my rads I find that I cannot eat chocolate. Gives me a major problem for days. I know its hard at this time of the year with all those treats all around you. I keep looking at the candy dish every day.....I know how hard it to pass it by. Hope this will not last too much longer for you! Try to relax and enjoy your holidays! Put your chicken and rice on different color plates each night. This may help.
Unread 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Vega, what a drag! I am so sorry you're having this trouble.
Unread 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM

oh dear vega...that sucks! i think a couple of sessions with a nutitionist or dietician might help...i don't think the dr.'s really know how to help unless they've specifically studied that field.

i hope you keep us updated as to what you find works for you. in the meantime, enjoy the holidays. hey, maybe you can go out and buy some new clothes since you've lost some weight...lol!! i did that a couple of months ago, then went and gained everything back, so gave my new pants away to my sister! oh well! (i never even wore them but it was sure fun trying on pants without an elastic waistband at the time!)

hope you feel better real soon. best wishes to you.
Unread 12-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Hi Vega,
I do not have advice since I have not gone through anything like this but I just want to say I hope these issues with your digestive system clear up for you soon. It must be tough to go through this ESPECIALLY around the holidays. I pretty much went back to eating everything I did before radiation the minute the treatments ended, but, I have a whole other set of issues like pain and groin swelling to deal with. It stinks to have to go through these things but to have our lives it is well worth it. P.S.,the silver lining is losing the weight I guess. I have 10 more lbs of baby weight to lose since having my baby in February and they will NOT budge! Hope you feel better soon sweetie.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register