Can hormones affect blood sugar? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can hormones affect blood sugar? Can hormones affect blood sugar?

Unread 09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Can hormones affect blood sugar?

Hi, I was just wondering if my hormones being messed up could affect my blood suger. I had gastric by pass surgery 2 years ago and I have always had a bit of trouble with dumping ever since the gastric by pass especially if I eat the wrong food or don't get enough protien. But since my TAH my dumping spells have became more frequent and much worse no matter what I eat. I was wondering if anyone has blood sugar problems noticed that they were worse after their hysterectomy. Or is there anyone out there who has had gastric by pass and might be able to help. Thanks as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2005, 09:21 PM

Im glad you brought this up. I was wondering the same thing. I have always had a slight problem with hypoglycemia but after this surg. it seems to be worse. It seem like whenever I do any activity like clean or go shopping I start to feel my blood sugar drop even though I have eaten recently. I thought it was strange too. Im going to my DR this Thurs. if I remember i will ask him.
Debby
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM

I have been having the same problem as well, I am eating and still as soon as I walk to long, clean or excersize my blood sugar feels like it is dropping. It is driving me crazy.
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2005, 08:53 AM

Oh, no. I have had low blood sugar problems for 7 years now, but really help myself by eating at regular intervals through the day and including protein so carb is digested slower. It's scary to think my efforts will be confused now -- as I am only two weeks post-op today. Could the feeling of low blood sugar be the fatigue feeling that occurs so quickly or do you get the funny tongue-feeling and shaky hands, etc.? Thanks.
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:30 AM

Yes, fluctuating hormones sure can affect your blood sugar Here's a link to an article that explains it:

http://www.walgreens.com/library/art...?docId=DA00038

Though the article is written for women who had diabetes prior to menopause, the explanations are valid for those of us who didn't as well.

Here's a link to a great article on dietary changes that can help with menopause:

http://www.pdrhealth.com/content/nut...s/fgnt19.shtml

Hope this helps!
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:19 PM

Linda -- Thank you so much. I read both of the articles and am comforted in the fact that I am applying to a great extent what is recommended. I must say, however, I am extremely scared. The more I learn about estrogen the harder it is for me to adjust and accept my situation. I will never know if I have made a terrible mistake in losing my ovaries. I feel that I have and can't seem to get beyond it. Low pelvic pain is what took me to this doctor's office in February of this year. After the third ultrasound (spaced between February and June at six week intervals) revealed the cyst on my left ovary had become complex, fluid and mass. My uterus was found to have adenomyosis. I was not bleeding heavily at periods though. My doctor recommended the LAVH/BSO to relieve pain and to avoid ovarian cancer. After surgery I was told the cyst originated on my tailbone and had grown behind the female organs. I asked her why couldn't I have kept the ovaries. She said it would have been too difficult to get the enlarged uterus out without taking the ovaries too - blood loss or other damage I guess. I am so hurt that I did not advocate more for my ovaries before the surgery. I stupidly took her advice not knowing if I was already developing cancer cells within the cyst/growth. Why didn't I speak up strongly? I will never understand.
Unread 09-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Hi Lei,

Not sure if my situation will be of help or not.... it sounds like you were pretty symptom free until February?? And as such, may not have had years of suffering... If I'm right about that, what I'd say is that that may be contributing to second guessing yourself about your ovaries. I had 20+ years of hell, and am just a bit younger than you... for me, I was so very clear that I wanted them to take the ovaries, as to have kept them could have (slim chance.. but it was still A chance) fed my endometriosis... There was no way I was going to chance pain returning... another reason I followed the docs advice about activity and recovery... wasn't going to risk adhesions!! And so far at 3 1/2 months post op... I am pain free for the first time in years. For me the choice about my ovaries was to try and increase my chances of having a good quality of life and I didn't want to be worrying about going through yet ANOTHER surgery. I have no regrets. There are so many unknowns, and what could have beens... for all of us on this site... I don't know if you're religious... but maybe its better /easier to say it happened that way for you... for a reason. Now its about recovery, and at this stage I'm sure you're going through surgical menopause.... so your moods may be a bit all over ( I know mine were!! lol) so take that into consideration as well, it's only normal you'd be questioning, reacting, etc... thats all a part of our recovery.... I hope yours goes well!!!! And hang in there!!

Lots of love & best wishes
Unread 09-29-2005, 03:23 PM

Thank you, Rhonda. You gave good things to think about. I'm so happy for you that you will enjoy life more now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register