Was I supposed to get a tummy tuck? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was I supposed to get a tummy tuck? Was I supposed to get a tummy tuck?

Unread 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Was I supposed to get a tummy tuck?

I have a little of an overlap over my abdominal incision. I think I've heard it called 'muffin top'. No one ever mentioned to me that this might not go down. Is that why so many get the tummy tuck too? I work out regularly before surgery and can't wait to get back into it. I was hoping ab work and diet and time would take care of all this and it would be back to normal.

Is the tummy tuck something most people do when getting a addominal hysterectomy and does insurance pay for that also? Why in the world didn't my doctor suggest this also I wonder.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2007, 11:26 PM

I too still have what you describe. From my belly button down to about an inch and a half above my incision is flat as a pancake but then there's this little bulge that sticks out about an inch above the rest of my tummy and hangs over my incision a little bit. In the morning, it is very loose but by night it is tight and feels like it is filled with fluid so I assume it is still PO swelling. It doesn't show through my clothes though so I guess it's not a big deal. I don't know if it will eventually go away or not but I am waiting anxiously to start doing crunches again!

As for a tummy tuck, my ins would not have paid for it. I did think about it but there was just not enough time to consult with a plastic surgeon and coordinate my surgical schedule with his, as my ob/gyn wanted to operate asap. I know some women have it done at the same time but it just did not work out for me.
Unread 05-08-2007, 12:36 PM

I think that since members are already going into surgery for a hyst then maybe they want to avoid a separate surgery to take care of this problem that they already have been dealing with.

You can do a Search and see what others say about tummy tuck if you have not already done so.

Here is a link from our Pre-op articles on tummy tuck:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96908.htm

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette
I already had my TAH on April 17th and things are going great so far.

I am seeing so many Tummy Tuck threads and was wondering if TAH and Tummy Tuck go hand in hand. I didn't even think about a tummy tuck but am wondering now if I should have because I do have a little muffin top over my incision that I hope goes away. If not, it won't be pretty. Do these muffing tops not go away I'm wondering and why all the tummy tucks in a hysterectomy forum. Thanks.
I don't think I would say a hyst. and TT necessarily go hand in hand. It's just "convenient" and less expensive to go ahead and have the TT during a hyst. if you are considering it.
I'm having a TT during my hyst. I have diastasis recti (separated abdominal muscles) that need repaired, so the TT comes with it which pleases me greatly!! I'm young, hopefully have a lot of life ahead of me, and after 3 c sections and carrying twins I will be happy to have a nice tummy and a belly button again.
Unread 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM

Does anyone know if they will do a TT with a lap. sugery? Just hoping
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:35 PM

hi stillababe, no the whole reason some docs do hyst + tt is because it involves the same scar, albeit, a lot longer one for the tt! It's a longer recovery too all 8 weeks worth maybe u can convince your doc to do abdominal?
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks! Oh well, worth a try
I am actually having the Da vinci method done - so no chance of abdominal unless he gets in there and has to change it up...
THANKS for responding - I appreciate it. I see your quote...yours really did help? I'm so worried about the after (sex, weight gain, etc.)
Unread 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM

well, so far I'm down 2 pants sizes, lost 8lb and am very "active" but then I was before anyway just feel soooo much better all around! Going back 2 work wasn't even a chore, and I'm a nurse in ortho rehab, so it's very physical.
Unread 05-08-2007, 03:58 PM

Oh ok thanks guys for explaining. I hadn't had any problems before with my tummy except for the protrusion of it brought on by the fibroids. They are gone now so hopefully the swelling and muffin will go too...crossing fingers. I've never had any c-sections or anything like that.

Just curious, but does your health insurance cover the tummy tucks or do you pay that out of pocket?

Also does the doc doing the hyster. do the tummy tuck also or you have the plastic surgeon also.

Thanks!
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette
Oh ok thanks guys for explaining. I hadn't had any problems before with my tummy except for the protrusion of it brought on by the fibroids. They are gone now so hopefully the swelling and muffin will go too...crossing fingers. I've never had any c-sections or anything like that.

Just curious, but does your health insurance cover the tummy tucks or do you pay that out of pocket?

Also does the doc doing the hyster. do the tummy tuck also or you have the plastic surgeon also.

Thanks!
I'll cross my fingers for you, too!!

No, health ins. does not cover the TT itself. However, having it done during the same time as the hyst does save money because if you had the TT done separately you would have anesthetic, hospital charges, etc all again. Having it done during the hyst saved me almost 50% of what a TT alone would have been.

I have a surgeon doing my hyst and a plastic surgeon doing my TT. They work together a lot doing this. The PS will come in and make the opening incision, the surgeon will then do the hyst, then the PS will come in and do his thing and close.

I hope your recovery continues well!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register