Scheduled TAH Scared about depression post op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about depression post op! Scared about depression post op!

Unread 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Scared about depression post op!

Ok. I did the normal ME thing and decided to do further research into hysterectomy recovery. What I have found has confused me, scared me, and made me question the validity of my situation! On one hand, I recognize that the cramps returning every month continue to get worse! The dark brown spotting for 3 days less than a year after an ablation is worrisome! The cysts are painful beyond imagination and bcp's do nothing to control my ovulation or my cysts. I KNOW my PCOS isn't going to go away with this surgery, but it will help with the painful cysts. After running across the HER foundation, and several other websites that document radical changes to personality, increased pain and feeling dead inside, I cannot help but wonder "will that be me?" now, obviously, I understand that women who do not deal with these issues after surgery rarely if ever visit boards pertaining to such changes, so there is little way of knowing the actual percentages of post op patients who do suffer from such complications. I enjoy life, I enjoy sex! I do not want these things to change! Has anyone ever been though this anxiety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Re: Scared about depression post op!

All I can report is my experience and I don't feel a single way different than what I did before surgery. Mind you, I kept my ovaries even though I was/am in perimenopause. I too wondered if I would be different but I am not. I felt fine before my surgery (had the surgery due to fibroids killing my bladder) and I feel just fine now. Some other websites (no names mentioned ) seem to have an agenda which is scaring women into not having this surgery. Yes, there are some women who end up with complications and you only need to read some of our forums here to find that out but the great majority of us do just fine. Can I promise you will be okay after your surgery? No, but the odds are for you that you will be. You need to weigh your quality of life now to what it can probably be after the surgery. In my case, even though I didn't have bleeding or pain, I couldn't go through life having to find a bathroom every 20 minutes or so and suffering from sudden incontinence at the most inconvenient times. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:35 AM

(((hugs))) I am sorry you are scared hun. I did the samething online, I read about it and even watched a video ( I do not recommend doing that) and it made me feel worse. When I went and saw my gyn I was a wreck and he scolded me for using the Internet to learn about my surgery. I was still not convinced everything was going to be okay. I was scheduled for a LAVH but ended up having a TAH do to scar tissue And that was the only complication I had for this surgery. My sex life is much better. I was terrified about that but didn't think about it until after surgery. I love the new me. No more pain, heavy bleeding, I am a new woman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM

Navywife2000

I have had depression on and off for years. Of course I felt sad a few of the post-op days because I felt sick, it was hard to relax or move or concentrate and I had to be more dependent on others than I was used to.

However, once I started to feel better, I realized I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. From about the 3rd week post, I felt really energized. Still having some focus problems, but, on the whole, I feel better now than I did before because I'm not in constant pain anymore. And, besides, I can only have one hysterectomy (even though, I know, I could still have other abdominal surgery later).

One thing to try to do - try to get and walk a little as soon as you can after surgery, even if it's walking around your apartment or yard. I'm really convinced that gradual increase of light activity can help your mood. The odd thing is that I rarely saw much of a relation between activity and mood until this year, though I know many people report this.

And if you do feel depressed post-op, you can always go and get meds adjusted. I'm still having insomnia trouble, and plan to have a long talk with my GP in December to see what other approaches I can take to dealing with it. Ambien really isn't doing much, but I want to take a wait and see approach to see what happens as my hormone levels decline.
Unread 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Navy if you did not see my post the other day I am like you and want to be informed. I have been a wreck for 3 days since visiting that site and even went to my doctors office yesterday wanting to cancel. His nurse and my doctor are amazing though and they are right (I had a failed endometrial biopsy and a failed D&C, hysteroscopy) I may have uterine cancer and the time is now that I have it removed. That site is horrible in my opinion and all it did was scare me thinking I was going to lose everything after this surgery if I even made it through. I have to have faith though as do you. My quality of life now runs around that time of the month and the hell before and after. I don't want that anymore though, I want to live my life not watch it from the sidelines. I have PCOS and I know it is not going to cure it but I have to tell you the going up and down on 60lbs like I have is because of that time of the month and everything it entails. I am praying I am one of the lucky ones, and I have made a promise to myself that when I am all done and feeling great I will post and post how having the surgery was the most wonderful thing I did. I know there will be bad days in the beginning, but in the end the good will outweigh the bad. I am wishing you a great surgery and a speedy recovery. It is funny, I have to mention this, on my way home I stopped at the convenience store yesterday across the street from my house. The manager is a 60 year old lady that i had not seen in a long time. We got to talking and I told her I was going in for surgery this coming Monday. She was like oh I had that done 10 years ago, best thing I ever did. It made me feel so much better to have someone tell me how they got through it and everything was just fine. I believe it was a sign for me
Unread 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM

Navywife - I completely understand your feelings. I got the phone call yesterday from the hospital who asked me about 50 questions regarding my health history and medications. Then about 3 hours later I got a call from my doctors office about my bowel prep and things I need to do today and Sunday. I was sitting there thinking "oh my gosh this is really going to happen". I kept telling myself - that's ok, you've got this.
I also keep reminding myself about all the wonderful and positive things this is going to do for my life. I won't have to worry everytime I get "that feeling", OMG, did I just start my period early again and run to the bathroom to check. I can wear white pants EVERY day if I want :-) Everyone that I talk to about this says "that's the best thing I ever did". While I agree, the weeks/months after are going to be a little difficult, in the end, it will improve my life. Sex was painful at time and now I know it's because of the fibroids. I have that urge to go to the bathroom with a minimal result, again because of the fibroid. I have one that is the size of a grapefruit and then 4 others the size of golf balls. I'm ready for it to be over.
You can do this.....don't be afraid to ask for something to relax you before the procedure, I plan on it. I'm sure a couple months after your surgery, you'll be singing it's praise. HANG IN THERE, you're close.
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:00 AM

Thank you ladies! It has been a difficult path that I have been set on and I think part of this is involving the fact that the doctor originally did not want to take the ovaries, but now he wants to take everything! It's amazing what a little ultrasound can do! Most likely my surgery will be rescheduled again thanks to this storm headed our way, which I think has played a role in how I have been handling things, because this is the second time it has been cancelled. I will find out Monday or Tuesday when I get to head to the castle!
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM

Hi,
I'm sure you will do great. Every person is different. I'm sure there are the horror stories and each of us have had to deal with different issues post-op. Some issues were bigger than others.

I am coming upon my 1 year post-op. I have dealt with the issues one at a time. My doctors wouldn't help me so I had to do research and determine what I needed for my own health and then find ways to get the necessary care.

My health care is the military. They tend to have "standard" treatment plans and if you don't fit into the standard, you might need to search out other options. That's ok. I simply decided at the end of the day, I had to live with the consequences of my health choices (whether I decided or my doctors decided). From there it was very freeing for me to do whatever I needed to do so that I felt safe and healthy.

My doctor decided that without a uterus I didn't need progesterone. I couldn't use estrogen because I had endo cancer, but all my research had indicated that progesterone helped with many issues. My doctor said no. I had to decide to go outside my healthcare and go with my gut feelings about the matter.

I am using a high progesterone therapy and having great results (for me) with hot flashes, foggy brain, joint pain, sleep issues and overall sense of well-being. I needed a strong progesterone base to feel safe against any further estrogen dominance even from environmental estrogens. My doctor felt safe that I could add back foods, etc that had an estrogen effect, but I didn't feel safe. In the end, all that really matters is how I feel.

Are all my issues resolved. No, but I feel pretty good about where I am right now. The mind plays a big role. Recently I have added an energy boost supplement that supports the brain with vitamins and amino acids, etc. This has helped with my depression.

You will do great. Just deal with one issue at a time and you will do fine. Check back and let us know how you are doing.

Hugs and best of luck to you with your healing journey.
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Scared about depression post op!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywife2000 View Post
Ok. I did the normal ME thing and decided to do further research into hysterectomy recovery. What I have found has confused me, scared me, and made me question the validity of my situation! On one hand, I recognize that the cramps returning every month continue to get worse! The dark brown spotting for 3 days less than a year after an ablation is worrisome! The cysts are painful beyond imagination and bcp's do nothing to control my ovulation or my cysts. I KNOW my PCOS isn't going to go away with this surgery, but it will help with the painful cysts. After running across the HER foundation, and several other websites that document radical changes to personality, increased pain and feeling dead inside, I cannot help but wonder "will that be me?" now, obviously, I understand that women who do not deal with these issues after surgery rarely if ever visit boards pertaining to such changes, so there is little way of knowing the actual percentages of post op patients who do suffer from such complications. I enjoy life, I enjoy sex! I do not want these things to change! Has anyone ever been though this anxiety?
I was worried just like you. I quickly quit searching all other sites once I found this one. There is nothing I can't ask here and get an honest answer whether its good or bad. Noone tries to scare me and make me feel ignorant and like an evil person for having a hysterectomy. I mean seriously the HERS foundation makes me want to slap the woman who started it. I realize she is miserable and disgruntled with her life, but seriously where does she get off with that crap. I HAD ENDO CANCER!! Seriously, I wasn't given a choice in the matter. Sorry, I get a little upset. That sight really upsets me for women in my situation. I'm generally happy person (lol can't u tell). Really I am though. Never had any issues with depression and such. Don't get me wrong, I've been sad during certain circumstances but normal life and nothing I needed meds for. I knew I would never be able to HRT due to estrogen fed tumor. So the no hormones thing really scared me, but like I said I didn't really have a choice. I'm doing pretty well so (I'm 38 by the way) far. I feel myself skirting on the edge of depression, but knowing what is causing it, is keeping my afloat. I have not been released for intercourse yet, but I did try the outercourse after 3 weeks couldn't stand it I had to know if it still worked . I am happy to report it does and everyday too. Pretty strong ones too. So hang in there and try not to let yourself get caught up in the horror stories. I don't believe anyone has this surgery just bc its a fun thing to do. Some of have it for cancer and some have to improve their quality of life. We all deserve to be alive and happy. And who can blame you for doing everything within your power to achieve it. Hugggss!! You'll know what's right for you and find a way to deal with whatever comes. By the way, I had myself so freaked out that I told my DH is doc came out during surgery and said they would have to do a pelvic exuneration (spg?) To say no. I dreamed of every worst case scenerio and ended up with the best. I am cancer free and get to enjoy the rest of my life. Hugggs again
Unread 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM

I was advised to avoid the HERS site and have pretty much stuck tyo hystersisters. I feel great at 4 months post op. I kept my ovaries though. Pre op I was frantic about all the depression stories and hoped and prayed my doctor would leave my ovaries. It's normal to be scared, so go ahead and be scared, just know it isn't a huge percentage of women that have these awful things that HERS talks about. My Mom had her ovaries removed and it actually IMPROVED her mood swings.We are all different, but keep in mind the odds are with you that you'll feel like a new women a few months after your hysterectomy and you'll be much happier!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register