Sooooo scared of the operation and meds! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sooooo scared of the operation and meds! Sooooo scared of the operation and meds!

Unread 10-09-2002, 07:26 AM
Sooooo scared of the operation and meds!

I am scheduled for the end of Novembervand I am really scared! I have been reading the posts here for a few days and decided to post this because I have not seen this addressed. I am worried about the (ugh) cutting but I am a recovering person (14 years) and one of my addictions was pain meds. LOTS of them. I am so scared that I will have to take them and worry about how long. I have a "fair" pain tolorence, not great though. Believe me, this is only ONE of my many concerns, I have friends, family, (divorced, yay!) to help but I am still worried. Can anyone help me with this? Pleaseeeeee? :confuse:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 07:47 AM
((((((((((((((Lucky)))))))))))))

Hi Lucky and welcome to a great site!!! I have had 3 abdominal surgeries now and can tell you that taking the pain meds was not that bad. Remember to take them only as you need them. I was off of my vicodin by week 2 and a half and was only taking them at night by week 2. You need to talk to your about your concerns and see what he has to say about any alternatives you may have. It really was not that bad. My hysterectomy was by far the best recovery I have had of the 3 surgeries, so I hope that helps you. The main thing to remember is not to overdo it. If you overdo it - you will need more pain meds. Many women also find that they can take ibuprofen or something less addicting to cope with the pain once they are home from the castle. Good Luck to you and let us know what your dr. has to say. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to post them or jump into chat for some real time interaction with women who share your concerns and who have already been through all of this.
s Wendy
Unread 10-09-2002, 08:43 AM
What she said

I really admire your clarity and courage. If you don't want to be addicted again, I truly believe in your ability not to go back. I would certainly talk this over with your doctor ASAP, there must be good alternatives that fit your situation. If the MD doesn't listen, find one who does! Do you have a counselor who can help you find the right resources? A 12-step group? Faith group? Now is the time to get all the support you can.

I was conscious (well, mostly) during the operation and can tell you it isn't dramatic; just a skilled person doing a job. It helped me to concentrate on the sewing, not the cutting, and see it as sort of a project--the point is the finished piece, a healing body.

I'll ray: for the right people to come your way to aid you in ALL your recoveries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 08:50 AM

Thank you so much Wendy ! I have talked to the Dr.'s office since I posted this and feel better about the whole "drug thing" . I am not so worried about it after I go home, plenty of family to help, but having the nurses understand was my worry. Thanks for the support. Trying to keep smiling on the outside anyway!

Unread 10-09-2002, 09:03 AM

Glad to hear you are feeling better about it all now.
It will be over b4 you know it and all will go well, rest assured. Will be for you also. s Wendy
Unread 10-09-2002, 09:06 AM

Thanks! I still attend 12 step meetings and I do have LOTS of support, sometimes it is just the internal drangons that get ya!:dragon: You all are wonderful! Keep the prayers coming!

Unread 10-09-2002, 10:23 AM
((((((((( loridid ))))))))))))

Hi loridid,

Bless your heart... I had a thought... do you have someone who lives with you that can help you administer the pain meds (if you decide to take them)?

The way I handled the pain meds is this... I always took less than the doctor prescribed... and most importantly, stayed on a schedule... never took them before it was time.

Once the pain was better, I started cutting back (about 3 or 4 days after surgery). If you do need the pain meds once you get home, you will probably only need them for the first week or two.

You mentioned you were in a 12 step program... do you have a sponsor... someone to help you with this... or friends in recovery who can understand this issue? Also, how about working the steps over this?

If you need someone to talk to...please feel free to email me at gaylehood2001@attbi.com

My very best to you... I will be praying for you and sending you comforting vibes.

HUGS to you, Gracie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register