pre-op bowel preps | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pre-op bowel preps pre-op bowel preps

Unread 03-12-2004, 11:04 AM
pre-op bowel preps

My doctors were kind enough to tell me that after drinking the nasty stuff there would be a slight delay but NO WARNING once it was time to sit in the bathroom. It was true. When I had to go, I had to go RIGHT-NOW-RIGHT-NOW.

My pre-op prep was 1/2 fleet phospho liquid, then the other 1/2 a while later. The instructions said that biting a lemon or lime immediately after drinking the nasty stuff and then following it with a few gulps of cola soda would combat the nasty saline taste of it. This worked for me.

I immediately headed for the bathroom and put in a tape of relaxing music. I had a stack of books and a crossword puzzle book next to the toilet, and my bottles of water. I turned on the fan and read and waited. Much nicer than havving to dash to the bathroom and not making it in time!

For some reason, as the liquid began to do its work, I got really, really cold. Luckily our bathroom has a heating fan as well, and I was able to get up long enough to put that on instead of the vent fan. But to be prepared, I'd recommend adding a sweater and a towel (to cover your thighs) to your bathroom supplies, just in case you get cold.

Oh -- also -- I lit a scented candle on the sink. Nice aromatherapy, and also cut down on the embarassment I felt about any smells I might be producing. The music also masked any noise I might make.

Hope this helps with the whole bowel prep experience!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 11:13 AM
pre-op bowel preps

did you have to do an enema too? i have to do an enema as well as drink the nasty. nancie
Unread 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM
pre-op bowel preps

Yes that bowel prep was horrible. I had to drink that nasty stuff but it took at least an hour to really start working on me. Plus I had to give myself two enemas one before I went to bed and one in the morning before I went in for surgery. It was really no fun and I've never had to do it before. And would not want to do it again. Angeleyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2004, 12:05 PM
pre-op bowel preps

Luckily I didn't have to do the enema. Surely someone has some hints for making that easier??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register