Getting In and Out of Bed Post TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting In and Out of Bed Post TAH Getting In and Out of Bed Post TAH

Unread 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Getting In and Out of Bed Post TAH

Hi ladies
I feel so needy lately! So many questions...

Can any of you ladies give me advice on getting in and out of bed? I don't have a recliner in my living room and so will be in bed the first few days at home.

Thanks in Advance
Sheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Hi Sheryl

Can't really help there except to say after my Laparoscopy I used to turn on to my side, bend my knees up and then gently place my legs on the floor before pushing myself up to a sitting position with my hand.

Now.....What's this about needing a recliner in the living room!! That wasn't on any of the lists...must tell DH

Broinn
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Hi Sheryl, there is no such thing as too many questions! I am 4 weeks post-op, and had two previous c-sections done on the same spot. My DH helped me in and out of bed for at least a week, if I get up at night to pee, even now he is asking if I am alright. My first advice is to take those pain meds the first few days before you get ready for bed! The easiest thing for me was to sit my butt on the edge of the bed with feet still hanging off(I used a step stool because my bed is tall and I am short) have at least two fat pillows so you wont have to lay down so flat, DH helped me slowely ease back until I was on the pillows, then he took my ankles and slowely lifted and put my feet and legs on the bed, then if you are too close to the edge you can scoot in a little, put a pillow or two under your knees, you can always slide a pillow out from under your head now if you want to lay flatter. When I needed up, we pretty much did the same things in reverse. I had pnemonia after surgery so I was extra weak, I don't think I could have gotten in and out of bed by myself. I tell my DH that he is my hero, and he should wear a cape next time! When your still in the hospital let the bed sit you up, I would slowely push the button until the head of the bed was all the way up. You will be sore and stiff for a few days, but every day it gets easier. Get tons of sleep and let everyone take care of you! Melisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2009, 12:49 AM

I bought a bed wedge that I found really helped.
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:24 AM

Lots of pillows do help.
I would use my elbows to push up, swing my feet and legs over the side of the bed, and then use the palms of my hands to sit up completely. Then I would slowly walk to where I needed to be. I would do it all in reverse to get back in bed

Best wishes.

Unread 01-07-2009, 08:59 AM

Hi Sisty

I had a TAH and I used a step stool to get into my high bed (I am also short). For the first week or so I had my husband help me in and out - just let whoever is helping you know that you need to move slowly - don't rush - it takes awhile to figure out how to be comfortable. I also found that I wasn't able to be in the same position very long - even though I was tired and taking strong pain meds. I was up every 3 hours or so - even through the night - but I think, for me, the moving and changing around helped me not to get stiff and definitely helped with the gas.

As far as the recliner is concerned, I spent some time in ours but wasn't able to recline on my own - not enough strength for the lever and it hurt to bend sideways to operate the thing - but once I was helped to the reclining position it was comfortable.

take care of yourself = move how it feels comfortable to you but just don't get stuck in bed without help - if I knew I was going to be alone I would have either my husband or one of my son's get me up from bed and moved to the couch where it was easier for sitting or lying down - easier for me to get up.

Sorry this is so long winded I didn't really realize how much I remembered about the early recovery days. You will be fine and before you know it you will be at your year anniversary helping someone else,

take care, Veronica

TAH - kept ovaries
feeling pretty good now!
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Hi there :-)

I was four weeks post op yesterday and started back to work full time...little achy but not bad.

Here is what I did (I looked this up too before I went in and have some accumulated wisdom for you!)

If you picture yourself (on your side, not facing up) as the plank on a teeter-totter and your but/hip as the center, imagine sitting on your bed and leaning to your side. Brace yourself with your arms and slowly bend them until you are braced on your one elbow and use your other hand to steady yourself. Bring one leg onto the bed, then the other, then lower yourself all the way on to your side. Roll over or scootch further away from the edge if needed.

Something else I found helpful was to put a straight back chair beside the bed that I could grab to stabalize myself. I found I felt more secure once I put some weight on the seat.

I have also heard that a walker does the same thing, but I didn't want to invest in one for such a short period of time.

Good luck :-)
Unread 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I am sure that pain will necessitate need! I will take all this an and talk to my DH! Another thing I will be forever grateful for! He is chalking up the favors and I will owe him BIG TIME! LOL all the best ladies! Sheryl
Unread 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM

My mother-in-law kept a cane next to her bed to add some leverage.
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:48 PM

I found that I used my arms alot. Take it slow!!!! Also once i started walking lots of short walks it helped ease the pain . Defiinetly push with your arms I didn't know I had such good biceps!!! My DH and I used to laugh about arm wrestling now that my arms are in shape. Take it slow and good luck. Don't be afraid to ask for help we all need it!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register