has anyone read books by Elizabeth Plourde | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

has anyone read books by Elizabeth Plourde has anyone read books by Elizabeth Plourde

Unread 02-20-2005, 12:44 PM
has anyone read books by Elizabeth Plourde

Just wondering if anyone has read books by Elizabeth Plourde? She sounds like she is very negative and scary. I like the hystersister book much more! What I am wondering is how many women have actually suffered from bowel incontinence? That sounds worse that just about anything else! Should I stop reading her stuff or just glean the good parts? I think I may pick up a few more books that were recomended on your webiste! thanks. sbuzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2005, 02:21 PM

Ms. Plourde had a very negative hysterectomy experience and her books reflect that. Personally, I think the best information you can get comes from the Hystersisters Checkpoints and from the message boards.
Unread 02-21-2005, 10:39 AM

Thank you. That was what Iwas beginning to suspect. I agree that this site and info is wonderful! sbuzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM

I have read her book and would recommend it to anyone contemplating "elective" hysterectomy. The studies she quotes are well documented. One should not go into "elective" surgery without being fully appraised of the risks. This quote comes from a frequent poster on this forum-Lucille- and I thought it rang very true and to the point regarding being fully informed, "you may be less likely to regret your decision, but not less likely to suffer long term health complications."

No one really likes to talk about these problems. Women who do are sometimes said to have a "bad attitude." I strongly disagree. A careful balance of risk vs benefit is a critical part of the decision to have surgery. I consider Elizabeth Ploude a strong advocate for full disclosure in the consent process.

Regarding the risk of incontinence-There are multiple studies that show hysterectomy as a risk factor for this problem. This is a long term problem thought to be related to nerve damage.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register