left abdominal pain since surgery- could it be bowel/rectal?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

left abdominal pain since surgery- could it be bowel/rectal?? left abdominal pain since surgery- could it be bowel/rectal??

Unread 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
left abdominal pain since surgery- could it be bowel/rectal??

Hello again, ladies. I have a question for anyone who may have had something similar happen, or have some advice. First I will say that I have seen my dr. today. He told me this was normal and everything looks ok. I am now 4 days post op. I do not, nor have I had any fever at all. Sooo..

I awoke to severe left abdominal pain after my TAH/LSO. If you press just to the left of my belly button, anywhere to my hip bone, it is very painful. Told dr. and nurses. Nurses say this dr. likes to tie his stitches tight. Dr said not sure why left side, but said something about pulling the muscles. UTI has been ruled out, no fever, blood counts all great. I personally thought this was gas or constipation since I was having big trouble with this after surgery. I have passed some gas, and can hear some grumbling around in there, and it is painful when the gas moves. Some comes out. I have been taking all the stuff- miralax, colace, suppositories that my dr. told me to take. I finally had a bm today, but it was a bit on the thin side (TMI). I felt pressure, like there was more, but no go. Got into bed to rest as I was out all morning at dr. appt and was sore. While in bed, lying on right side, I felt very bloated and achey inside, like pressure from the rectum up to the uterus area- throbbing, kinda nauseating pain. I also had amazing bladder pressure- husband helped me up to go pee, which came out a bit slower than normal (bladder spasm?) I then got into hot shower which felt good. It was just the weirdest feeling... swelling, pressure, aching, throbbing. Got back in bed lying on left side. DH made me take a valium, since that worked on some of my pressure symptoms I was having before the hyster, leading us to believe that spasms could be occuring. It seems to have helped a bit.

So, my concerns are that I was having bowel issues before the hyster... feelings of not emptying all the way, thin poops, rectal pressure, bowling ball in rectum, pelvis and vagina. That is why I had the hyster.. dr was sure I was full of adhesions and expected some bowel repairs. But when he got in there, NO ADHESIONS WHATSOEVER! Normal anatomy... said bowels looked perfect, bladder perfect, some scar tissue on cervix but outer uterus perfect. He took left ovary since I had a "large" cyst. Pathology isn't ready til Monday. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed that he didn't find an outright cause to my symptoms. I have started to wonder if it is bowel/rectal related. I had a colonoscopy 1.5yrs ago for family history reasons, and the findings were normal, although I was awoken in the middle of it in excruciating pain. GI dr. said maybe it was a bit twisty in that spot, but no abnormalities- no polyps, no diverticulosis.

Any ideas or opinions??? I am concerned that something is wrong in there, but dr. examined and said all's well. I wonder if the sudden gastro issues I developed two months ago are somehow related.

I am not walking very much because of the pain. The Darvocet only helps a little, and I cannot take NSAIDs.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts...I know you gals are not drs and will not take the advice as such. I am just looking for perhaps some different perspectives on this.

Thanks!

CC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM

Oh bless your heart CC. Just wondering how you are feeling now. I had so much bowel trouble before my surgery on Dec. 18th and unfortunately I am still dealing with bowel and rectal pain 7 weeks post surgery. I had endometriosis and my doc swears he got it all, but I sure have a lot of pain, very similar to what I had before surgery so I'm hoping it just takes time to heal. How are you feeling now that it's been almost a month since your surgery?
Unread 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM

I'm having similar pains on my right side. It actually started right after I awoke form surgery. Even the implanted pain-buster and narcotic didn't quite eliminate this pain. (It's getting a little better now.)

My doc said that he had a "little trouble" getting to close the fascia (the lining of the abdominal wall) on that side and they he had to use more stitches and make it a bit tighter.

Luckily, I don't have all too many bowl problems. On occasion, I have gas issues but nothing that would make me cry or scream in pain. I know that I have some pressure on the rectum due to fluid collection near my vaginal cuff, which can make me feel a little "full back there," at times. Still, it's nothing I can't handle.

I'm wondering if your lack of walking and the taking of narcotic pain meds isn't causing you more problems, with gas and BMs.

I'm currently suffering a little bit with incontinence (dribbling a little into my panties, occasionally) and urge frequency. I'll worry about fixing that, once my belly pain has diminished more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM

I still suffer from left sided sharp pain as well as random stapping pain in my groin area. I also suffer from back pain on the left side too as well as a lot of other symptoms relating to bowel and bladder etc. I am having urology tests next week and hope that this will give me some answers.
Unread 02-05-2009, 02:23 AM

cc:
I can tell you that I still have one spot to the left of my bb. that I have been complaining about since my 6 wk checkup.. both my gyne and gyn/onc say that it is normal..
My gyn also said it could be a possible fascia hernia, but my gyn/onc said it was probably nerve entrapment in that area. I think there may be a lot of people that they have trouble closing up in the fascia area and consequently, the slight pain. Mine only hurts if I move really quickly so I have learned to live with it..
Hoping yours gets better. By the way, my gassy feeling never really went away either... Just make sure you walk lots and drink lots of water...
Unread 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Thanks to all for your answers. I am now 4.5wks post op. I have been doing a lot, really pushing myself. My dr. had told me at 2.5wks that I could do everything except sex, that I wouldn't do any damage. I pruned my rose arbor which involved reaching up and twisting. That cause HORRIBLE burning pain in my side (same problem side) way above the incision. I still get sore on that side if I do too much bending or twisting. I think it is the fascia stitiching too. One nurse had told me that my dr. likes to stitch things tight. I have also considered a trapped nerve, but since it is steadily improving, I am waiting to complain. My bowels have evened out finally. After a few days of increased activity and eating a few naughty foods, I had horrible cramps/diarrhea. My bowels woke up with a vengance! They seem pretty normal now... I had to stop eating roasted red bell peppers which I love. They do not like me!

I have decided that the pain I had after surgery was mostly swelling and muscle/fascia/nerve pain. That side still hurts off/on. If I stretch too much... aching. I also have a felling of vaginal heaviness when I overdo it. I go for my next check next THurs. I will be released for work on Tues feb 17. The dr. will check the stitches inside on that day. So far nothing has come out of me... no blood, no weird discharge (just clear), and no stitiches.

I do feel some bladder urgency at times... kinda like an irritable bladder. I have done two UTI test strips looking for infection and both are negative. I am hoping this will pass with time too.

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

CC
Unread 06-28-2009, 05:42 AM
Re: left abdominal pain since surgery- could it be bowel/rectal??

Its been 16 weeks since my surgery and i am still having the exact same pain...if i twist or turn...it hurts worse...can't get an answer from doc or any one or where else....
Unread 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Hi I am sorry you are having this pain. I had my surgery a year ago and had everything out. i have left sided pain in abdomin, pelvic area and back as well. i had gone to the doc a couple times but found out nothing. i guess its either..adhesions,endo, good irritation..i dont know but it hurts. a lot. and most of the time. I hope it works its way out for you.
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Hi firien, I'm sorry to hear you are still having pain a year later. I"m 6 months out and still have pain, although it does seem to be easing up a little.
I've going through a series of GI tests right now, colonoscopy, CT Scan, etc and so far everything is okay so I"m thinking like you, it must be adhesions, scar tissue, endo or just still healing. Here's good wishes for all of us that the pain will subside soon.
Unread 06-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Thank you. I am going to try eliminating some things. today I eliminated coffee. still having pain. I really dont think thats it. I really think its adhesions. I would go to doc and have tests but we have no ins. and still paying on the hospital bills. keep in touch and let me know how your pain is or if they find anything.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register