surgical area itching - 11 days postop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgical area itching - 11 days postop surgical area itching - 11 days postop

Unread 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
surgical area itching - 11 days postop

Hi Gals,
Sorry I haven't posted anything lately. (sitting forward at a computer isn't super comfortable for me yet) Anyway, I'm around 11 or 12 days post-op and am having some insane itching on one end of my incision, which is still a little bit open (not sure if it matters, but my doctor used disovling sutures). Is this a sign of healing? To help dull it (and to provide general support) I just put back on my super abdominal elastic wrap they gave me at the hospital. At my one-week post-op visit, the nurse instructed me to apply antibiotic ointment on it once a day. I am also using hydrogen peroxide prior to applying the ointment becuase I noticed she irrigated it with that after removing my steri-strips. I'm no longer wearing a pad across my incision (which is about 6 inches in length in my abdomen - under my lovely belly roll... Also, I've taken to not wearing the support wrap too much as I believe it leads to weakend lower back muscles and I wake up with terrible lower back pain if I wore it alot the day before. Anyone else notice that? My wrap is a very wide one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Re: surgical area itching - 11 days postop

I did not having any itching with any of my incisions after surgery. I have had a few that had opened, but still did not have itching. Did your doctor okay the peroxide on the incision?

Unread 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM

Itching is a sign of healing. I know that sucks to hear because the itchies are really really annoying. When I went in for my staples to be removed, the nurse rubbed some stuff on my incision with a swab and it felt really good! My MIL (who is a nurse) said it was okay for me to rub my incision LIGHTLY with a dry wash cloth. Plus it helps stimulate bloodflow to the area.

I would double check with your DR or nurse to see if they could suggest something else. And ask them about the peroxide too. That can be very drying to the area. Just double check

I hope the itching stops soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi, thanks so much for your email! my itching has subsided quite a bit now yay! Now I'm having trouble with some vaginal bleeding, which I find disconcerting to suddenly have this happen nearly two weeks post-op. (I did have some for the first two days post-op but it stopped) Did you experience this? It happened when I was in the restroom trying to "go # 2" (sorry so graphic)...(yes, I checked it is definitely vaginal bleeding not rectal) did this ever happen to you? I spent the rest of the afternoon in bed and it stopped and didn't come back until today when I, once again, was having a BM. It's not a lot of blood, it's red, and it's not comforting to see. It took another stool softener so I don't have to strain. It being a weekend, I think I'll just wait until tomorrow to call the dr. on Monday. Of course, if the bleeding becomes heavy or I have alot more pain I will go the emergency room before tomorrow. I'm just laying low at home and trying not to do too much. I am having a little more "twinges" of pain abdominally than before as well...hope I didn't pop a stitch or something!
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Hi, Kim, no they didn't say I could use the Hydrogen Peroxide but I guess I assumed it was ok since the nurse used it at my post-op appointment. Perhaps that was too much of an assumption? When I call the doctor's office tomorrow (Monday) I will ask. I am having a new symptom now...vaginal bleeding - here I am, almost two weeks post op and this starts. (I did have a little the first two days post-op but it had stopped). It seems to start when I try to have a BM. I had stopped the stool softeners because of my Irritable Bowel Syndrome I was getting diarrhea (sorry so graphic!). I've now started taken the stool softeners again in hopes of stopping this tendancy for vaginal bleeding when I try to pass a stool. It started yesterday and stopped and now it's happening again this morning (a little more than yesterday) after having a BM. It's very disconcerting. I'll call doctor tomorrow when they are back in the office. No need to go to the ER today for this, I don't believe. (Unless it gets bad)
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
new issue - pathology report

Hi again, I can't seem to figure out how in the world on this site to start a new thread. and I can't sit at the computer for long periods of time. So, two things:
a. can you guide me through how to start a new thread?
b. I got my pathology report yesterday. (by the way the itching is all but gone now . anyway, turns out they actually found NO fibroids! I have endometrial hyperplasia (pre-cancer) and adenomyosis (endometriosis that was invading my uterine wall). Dr. says this is all actually worse than the previously suspected (due to an ultrasound) fibroids. Glad I had a the entire uterus - cervix and all - removed. I also had one ovary removed which revealed multiple cysts (PCOS) and one "hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst" which is an ovarian cyst with blood feeding into it causing pain - it has hurt me for over a year. (corpus luteum means its a cyst AFTER the egg has already burst out of it). I'm shocked that the ultrasound was so far off the beam. Glad I pushed and pushed to have someone tell me the results of my pathology report (I've learned the hard way that no news is NOT always good news...it took me two years to find out after an ablasion that the pathology report showed hyperplasia back then). I had to ask three times for this report after my hysterectomy. Did you ever get your pathology report post-op and were you suprised by anything you learned from it?
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:07 PM

I was surprised to find out i had a fibroid. Doctor had never mentioned it before, and where the endometriosis was, all over the ovaries and behind the uterus, and on the large intestines...actually the intestine part did not surprise me, considering all the pain intestinally with my cycle...

I used hydrogen peroxide on my incision on the open places (that is what i was told to do by my doc, each one is a bit different in their wound care), and then a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and saline that they sent home with me to use, when the spots became infected.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register