A couple random questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A couple random questions A couple random questions

Unread 01-30-2008, 11:18 PM
A couple random questions

Hello everyone!

Wow, I cannot believe Feb. 4 is almost here. I am definitely a bit on edge now that it's getting close. I'm usually a pretty calm person by nature, but I just feel anxious! Gee.... I wonder why? haha.

Anyway, I have some random questions:

1. Bowel Prep: My doctor told me when I wake up on Sunday morning to only take in clear liquids all day and at midnight NOTHING at all. So, clear liquids he said is water, 7-up, jell-o, broth... Then, he told me he wants me to start a laxitive in the morning and the name of it (I hope it's ok to say this name on here....) is called: Fleets Phospha-Sopa. I haven't bought it yet, so I don't have the instructions. But, my question is my surgery is 7:30 AM Mon. morning. Do you think I need to start this laxitive first thing on Sunday morning, or can I start it late morning (like 11:30 AM)? I'm wondering since my surgery is 7:30 AM, if the time of the day I start the laxitive makes a difference in how cleansed out I am? The reason I'm asking is because I want to go to church on Sunday morning, and if I did, I'd get home at 11:30. but, I don't want to start this laxitive before church for fear it might start to take effect in the middle of church. haha. But, I'm willing to skip church if I should start it earlier than 11:30. I know I can always call my doctor, too, but just wondering if anyone has any answer....

2. This is kind of a weird question, maybe, but I'm so concerned I'm going to over-do it during recovery.... not because I want to ignore the doctor's orders, but by nature, I am used to over-exerting myself. I'm an athlete, and I always have 10 things goign on at the same time. I'm a high energy person. So, my doctor and I had a talk about this, and he told me before I do anything, ask myself: Is it necessary? And, will I over-exert myself? He said if the answer is NO to the first question and yes to the second, then don't do it.

What I wish I would have asked him is "What WOULD happen if I did over-do it in terms of the healing?" I think for me, in order to fully put it in my head that I really need to take it easy for 6 weeks, I need to know what COULD happen if I don't take it easy and do too much (ie, build up scar tissue which might lead to complications later.... stuff like that).'

I think if I KNEW what could happen, that'd stick in my mind, and I'd then have NO problem saying NO to many things I'd normally say YES to during recovery.

3. The hospital called me today to go over my health history, etc. One question she asked me was on a scale of 1 - 10 (10 being worst), at what number do I need pain medication when I'm in pain. I told her a 7, only because I feel I have a high pain tolerance. Then, she asked me if I'm in pain right now. I said yes, but if i were on my period, I'd be in much worse pain. So, she asked me what number I'd give my pain right now, and I said a 3 - 4, and she asked me what number I'd give the pain when I'm on my period, and I said a 9.

Does anyone know why she asked this? I should have asked her, but it didn't occur to me. I have these visions in my head now that what if they won't give me pain medicine until I say my pain is at a 7. haha. It's really hard to put pain on a scale.

Thanks!! I'm sure I'll come up with more questions over these next couple days. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 01:51 AM

Hello Loves to Run

You will not over do it in recovery. You will rest and be 'busy' recovering from your surgery. You must realise your body is working flat out to heal itself. It has a lot of work to do. Remember that when you feel tempted to over do things.

My hospital wanted any pain or discomfort managed well. If it got over a 3 out of 10 they could then offer something different than what was being used. I didn't need any additional pain treatment, but asking patients for a pain measure out of 10 gives them a standard reference point of 'where you're at'.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-31-2008, 03:29 AM

Hey there Loves To Run

It seems like so much to manage, but you'll be fine. I'll tell you as much as I can to answer your questions.

1) Bowel Prep - The stuff that you will be getting is Fleets Phospho-Soda. Wonderful Stuff I have had it a number of times for colonoscopies. When I prepped for my hyst was the first time that I had to do it early in the day. Normally, I would start at 6:00pm and 8:00pm. My gave me very specific instruction on what to take when. Mine started at 7:30am. I will tell you that church (or any place else) would have been out of the question. I didn't understand the early start and honestly - never asked. If your doc said start early, I would either call and ask the specific question or go with the early start.

2) Overdoing it - The only thing that I can say is that I took my first solo trip yesterday. (Bladder got nicked and I had to keep my catheter for a total of 18 days. Not typical). I drove over 150 miles and shopped at 2 stores. OVERDID IT. I knew when I left the first store that I should go home, but I was feeling liberated. You will KNOW when you overdo it. Your body will PAY DEARLY for it. It is clear to me that I will get only 1 chance to heal. I didn't exactly do it the correct way when I had my appendectomy. I ended up with months of pain because I didn't listen.

3) My guess is that the hospital is trying to understand your pain threshold so that they can stay ahead of your needs.

I'll be praying for you as your date approaches. I pray that GOD will guide the hands, minds, and hearts of every person that is associated with your surgery. Blessings on you ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 03:55 AM

Hi Loves to Run,

Before my bowel prep, a friend of mine, who's an RN, offered some excellent advice. She suggested I not eat red meat the day before the bowel prep because red meat stays in the colon longer than anything else. The day before, I ate mainly vegetables (wasn't too hungry because of "butterflies") and I drank ALOT of Gatorade during the day of the bowel prep. The lab tech that inserted my IV the day of the surgery told me drinking Gatorade was a great benefit because I was well hydrated and my veins were easy to find. She stated sodas were the worst thing one could drink for bowel prep because they actually tend to dehydrate.

I hope the information is helpful....it was for me. I'll say a prayer for you. I know that anxious feeling!
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:57 AM

My dr gave me instructions about when to start my bowel prep when I had to take it. I was scheduled for early morning and was to start the prep at 4:30 pm. I think that your best bet is to call and ask your dr - that way you'll know for sure.

Your dr's advice about overdoing sounds good. I know that it's hard to be inactive when you're used to being very active. But, you have only one chance to heal properly. Please be cautious and don't risk setbacks or possible complications.

I agree that the questions about your pain levels and tolerences are so that they can be prepared ahead of time. I think that's great. I have a high tolerence for pain too but really needed some meds after my tah/bso.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:59 AM
A word of advice on the Phospha Soda

I had this "lovely" (NOT!) drink before my weight loss surgery, and picked up some tips from the ladies who had the surgery before me. Here's the best way to get this stuff down (if you've never had it before, it tastes like flat 7UP that's had a ton of salt and sugar added to it!!): Get it as cold as possible without freezing it! Put a straw in the bottle for drinking it. You can position the end of straw way in the back of your mouth where it will bypass a lot of your tastebuds. Have a glass of clear liquid you like nearby (I used ginger ale). Take as big a gulp of the Phospha Soda as you can, chase with your clear liquid of choice. Repeat until the Phospha Soda is gone, finish with your other drink to get the taste out of your mouth.

I was able to finish my bowel prep drink in about four gulps.

As for the timing of the bowel prep, I'd say check with your surgeon's office.
Unread 01-31-2008, 09:44 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Ok, I guess the answer is I will KNOW when I am overdoing it. :-) I am really going to try hard to heal properly. I do not want any comlications in the future because I did not heal right.

And, I'll call my doctor to see if there is a specific time on Sunday morning to start the laxitive. Ohhhh..... can't wait! (ugh!!). Thanks for all the tips about the gatorade! That is a great idea. I actually don't drink pop only because I don't like the taste of it.... it's too sweet and syrapy for me, so when my doctor told me water, 7-up, gingerale, I remember thinking I don't like pop, so I guess it'll be water and jell-o all day! But, I DO like gatorade, so that is a great idea!

Does it matter what flavor of Gatorade? I like the orange kind.... I know there is a clear gatorade.... does it have to be the clear gatorade, or can you choose any flavor?

And, thanks for the tip on the red meat the day before! I actually was thinking of going out for a really nice meal on Saturday night.... I'll stay away from red meat for sure!!

I guess that makes sense that the hospital wants a head start on knowing my pain tolerance. Cool.... sounds like the hospital is on top of things.

Ok.... thanks ladies!!!! You've all been so helpful!
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Loves To Run

I just thought of something else that you can have on the clear liquid day - broth. As much as I hated it, it was a changed from water and jello. And since I started first thing in the morning, I needed somehting to take me through the day.
Unread 01-31-2008, 02:33 PM

hi gals,
I'm new to this - having my Big H on Feb 15 - also had pre op info meeting about the stuff to drink - I never drink Gatorade so would not normally buy it - do occasionally have 7 up in house but reading this will buy gatorade and not pop - not a big red meat eater - should I start eating less chicken or fish before also - have found this site very helpful as I don't know too many ladies who have been through it - any more good ideas I'd be glad to know - re walking - I have a dog - can I walk her a bit once I am okay- I know I can't bend to do the scoop the poop - keep the info coming ladies - thanks - Chazy
Unread 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM

I was told that I could have all the popsicles I wanted. I bought some banana ones which I like but I didn't eat but one of them pre op.

Good luck. Take the gatorade. It will help with the hydration. I don't think that the flavor makes any difference so get the one you like.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register