Is anyone else depressed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is anyone else depressed? Is anyone else depressed?

Unread 02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Is anyone else depressed?

I started to feel really down yesterday and was really weepy. I am frustrated alot and I want my recovery to be over. I had to go to the Doctor's office a week after my surgery because of the glue coming off and my incisions opening up, I had to go the 2nd week because of bright red bleeding(they found out one of the sutures came undone and that I had a lump form where they sewed my vagina up at) and on my post-op appt Feb 27, the doctor is going to have to give me a shot of lidacaine and remove the lump that has formed. I am so tired of all of this. I just want to heal and get on with my life!

Is anyone else having the blues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2009, 04:22 AM

Hello Lea,

i am so sorry to hear that you are feeling down. and it's no wonder as you seem to have had a few hiccups in your recovery. i feel for you.

i had a couple of 'mishaps' post op too - i had two severe bleeding episodes from my abdo incision within the first week of being home, which scared the heck out of me and the men in my life - considering i live an hour from my gynie! however they were easily resolved and come no where near what you appear to be suffering.

my recovery was relatively straight forward, but i got down and weepy on more than one occasion during the immediate post op period, and i thnk it had a lot to do with the pain i was in and the fact that i had to sit around feeling useless. it's not an easy ask for someone who is used to being in control of their own life and organising everyone elses. i felt like my body had just taken over and i wasn't in control of anything anymore. it can be quite confronting for those of us who consider ourselves 'independent'.

i do find that work stresses me out more than it used to, but i'm pretty sure that's just the job. i still have days when i'd like to just climb in the shower and cry myself to oblivion for no particular reason. i don't of course, i have a little red wine and sit and chat with my family about the mundane evryday things that makes the world go round. i try to take a lighter approach to life now. it took me a long while to let go of the 'invincible me'.

the thing about my hysterectomy is that it has happend at a time in my life when so many other things are changing for me as well - my husband retired, mychildren are leaving home, my menopause had started, my job description has changed and my elderly relatives are needing more and more care. i am being pulled in several directions and yet had to find time for myself and i felt gulilty becasue i wanted time for myself.

i'm sure that once you have your medical problems are sorted out, -and they will be - you just can't see the end of the tunnel yet - you will be able to get back to your normal routine, and you will have gained a new perspective.
and hopefully you will feel a lot better.

i hope you realise that your feelings are natural (althoughi'm not a doctor of any kind), and that you will get through it. others have. in the meantime, i have foudn that just browising through this website has been very helpful even if you don't actually write anything.
good luck and feel better
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:14 AM

It really does get better. I have been up and down (mostly down with depression) post op. This major surgery really takes the wind out of you; plus you have had complications. Recovery is so slooooooow! For me, my body picked up the pace (more back to normal) after seven to eight weeks post op. I'm still having minor issues but it is better.

I wonder how much hormones are playing in the post op complications.

As okay48 said, staying at home, being dependent, life changes, all affect the mind. I see a therapist which has helped immensely when I am feeling the blues.

I wish you brighter days really soon.
Best Wishes! to no more complications too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register