Post hysterectomy - feeling worse day 12 & 13 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy - feeling worse day 12 & 13 Post hysterectomy - feeling worse day 12 & 13

Unread 01-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Post hysterectomy - feeling worse day 12 & 13

Hi all..so happy for this group of amazing ladies!

I had a TLH on 12/23. Had my uterus and tubes removed; still have my ovaries.

I was feeling like recovery was going great until the past two days (days 12 & 13 post op). Suddenly I am lethargic and struggling to do anything physical. I was starting to gradually build my activities at what I thought was an acceptable level: grocery shopping, walking 30 minutes on the treadmill. Now I feel like I'm regressing in my recovery. Has anyone else experienced this setback?

Also, I have not stopped coughing or trying to hack out phlegm from the anesthesia yet. I've really struggled with that. I was under for 2.5 hours due to scar tissue complications. I don't have a fever or any other glaring issues.

Would love to hear from others to see if this is 'normal'. I'm not the best patient at sitting still so I'm anxious to get my energy back. I thought every day would get better so this is confusing.

Wishing you all the very best!!

Sheree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Re: Post TLH - feeling worse day 12 & 13

Yep,that was me...day 12 starting feeling not so great with pain management, increasing got worse over the next few days, ended up in the ER. They said I over did my activities and had irritated everything,even thou I truly felt like I was working within my limits.
I'm just over 3 weeks post op and still having a hard time finding the balance between what's too much and what's not...fine line.
My only advice is, listen to you're body,if its telling you to rest then rest. Ive taken to,if I feel up for whatever activity and think I can walk for 10 mins I will only walk for 5 no matter how I'm feeling.only do a fraction of what you think you can do.
Whoever said this surgery is slow and painful recovery sure wasn't kidding!
Unread 01-05-2017, 07:08 PM

That is so helpful!! Thank you! I suspect I'm guilty of not knowing my limitations. I think 'laparoscopic' and equate that mentally to 'minimally invasive' but my body sure is a lot more tired than I anticipated. I super appreciate you taking the time to write a reply. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Magagrizz View Post
Yep,that was me...day 12 starting feeling not so great with pain management, increasing got worse over the next few days, ended up in the ER. They said I over did my activities and had irritated everything,even thou I truly felt like I was working within my limits.
I'm just over 3 weeks post op and still having a hard time finding the balance between what's too much and what's not...fine line.
My only advice is, listen to you're body,if its telling you to rest then rest. Ive taken to,if I feel up for whatever activity and think I can walk for 10 mins I will only walk for 5 no matter how I'm feeling.only do a fraction of what you think you can do.
Whoever said this surgery is slow and painful recovery sure wasn't kidding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Re: Post TLH - feeling worse day 12 & 13

The tiredness and exhausted feeling are common! It will come and go as you continue to heal. I remember feeling pretty ok for a little while, then all of a sudden, I would feel so tired I could barely lift my arms! Magagrizz gave some great advice...if you feel tired, then that means it's time to rest. Take things slow.
Good luck!
Unread 01-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Thank you!!!
Unread 01-06-2017, 06:41 AM

Good morning Sheree; perhaps I can help with the coughing. Your throat may be dry, from the dry air that's quite common this time of year, so keeping your throat moist by taking frequent sips of water should help. To help with loosening up the mucus, have some warm tea, or fill a sink with steaming hot water, and breathe in the warm, moist air for a few minutes. As well, as my experience shows, some people can have issues with dairy products stimulating excess mucus priduction, so try avoiding them for a few days, and see if that helps. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:02 AM

Thank you so much Tiger_Eye!! That will be my game plan today. I appreciate your message!! Happy Friday!
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Eye View Post
Good morning Sheree; perhaps I can help with the coughing. Your throat may be dry, from the dry air that's quite common this time of year, so keeping your throat moist by taking frequent sips of water should help. To help with loosening up the mucus, have some warm tea, or fill a sink with steaming hot water, and breathe in the warm, moist air for a few minutes. As well, as my experience shows, some people can have issues with dairy products stimulating excess mucus priduction, so try avoiding them for a few days, and see if that helps. Best wishes for your continued recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register