Did anyone have or rquest these tests beforehand? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone have or rquest these tests beforehand? Did anyone have or rquest these tests beforehand?

Unread 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Did anyone have or rquest these tests beforehand?

It was brought up to me that maybe I should suggest a CA-125 test even though I am keeping my ovaries. I guess just in case so they wouldn't have to go in again? Is that usually routine even when keeping ovaries? My gyn never mentioned it because she did not expect any problems at 30.

Someone also suggested that I should have a basline of my hormones done beforehand, just in case. It makes sense, if I have problems afterwards with my ovaries.

So I guess I was just wondering how important these would be to request, I know that getting them to do anything that they do not deem critical is like pulling teeth. So I just want to pick my battles carefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 06:54 PM

Hi Kira

I include that test (CA-125) as part of my annual blood profile in May that my regular doctor orders since ovarian cancer is hard to detect in the early stages. If your are concerned then I would have it done to ease your mind. I had my TAH on 9/16/02 and kept my ovaries. My OB/GYN will also order it anually now as part of my annual check up just to be safe and I will have it done. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! I always feel better to be safe than sorry
Unread 11-05-2002, 06:57 PM
I'd have them both

A CA-125 is not a definitive test for cancer. I was told it measures inflammation in the pelvic cavity, which means some ovarian cancers won't raise your score and some other conditions will raise your score even if your ovaries are just sitting there behaving. But taken in conjunction with other findings it can be a useful piece of information. A friend who did have ovca and did have an elevated score made me promise to have one, and I'm glad I did. My first test was a little elevated, and my second was lower, which meant I went into surgery a teensy bit less scared.

Baseline for hormones: wish I'd done that before things went whacko some years back--by the time I heard of it I was already on bcp's for bleeding so the test wouldn't have shown my natural levels. It's a very good thing to know. If you had to pick one test that could help with HRT, that would be it, according to a friend who has done a lot of study.

I'm not a doctor, just an experienced patient. The Hormone Jungle probably has good threads about the baseline, and I'm sure there are dozens of threads about CA-125 everywhere.

Good luck, my prayers are with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2002, 07:11 PM

I'm just wondering if you will have a GYN-oncologist on call for your surgery. I had all those tests and an oncologist on call. Luckily, did not need him. I hope all will be well. Do keep us informed. Best Wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register